Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

SC 293 weird solution.. [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 23:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:11) correct 25% (00:33) wrong based on 8 sessions
293. Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

why is the the OA correct? It seems to me to be a run-on sentence ( Don't you need , before the conj. "and")? I find D quite attractive ... can someone explains?? Really confused now..
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE, SDA Bocconi
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 4

Re: SC 293 weird solution.. [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
richardkliao wrote:
293. Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

why is the the OA correct? It seems to me to be a run-on sentence ( Don't you need , before the conj. "and")? I find D quite attractive ... can someone explains?? Really confused now..

Using POE, the answer is B.
‘capital investment’ is preferable than ‘investing capital’ , so A, D out.

Also in (D): originally there are two reasons: 1 – high vacancy rates and 2 – no demand, and in this answer choice these two reasons become one “high vacancy rates in existing structures with no demand” and moreover, it is not very clear for me what "no demand" refers to: "vacancy rate" or "existing structures"

(C) – ‘encourage capital to be invested”, well, I can understand when we encourage students to study or children to be obedient, but I can’t imagine how can we encourage capital? :) C – out.

(E) - too wordy. “despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is no demand”
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 06:39
Why is 'capital investment' better than 'investing capital'?

Would appreciate a nice discussion on (A) vs. (B) vs. (D)

Thanks!
Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 09:25
In A, "despite" is followed by "vacancy rates". The vacancy rates do not caution against investment; the "high" vacancy rates do. So "despite" should be followed by an adjective such as "high". You also need to replace "no" with "the lack of". Then the two factors that caution against investment become:
1. High vacancy rates
2. The lack of demand for new construction

Also, in A, "that" is incorrectly placed after "structures". The structures are not exceptionally high; the vacancy rates are.

In B, two related sentences are correctly joined by a conjunction.

D incorrectly suggests that the vacancy rates are high "only" in "existing structures with no demand for new construction", not in all existing structures. This construction also doesn't mention the second factor: lack of demand for new construction.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 09:25