Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 06:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi! I am struggeling with sentence correction and came across this book "Sentence correction nirvana". Does anyone have any feedback/input on the book?

I read a couple of reviews that they seemed encouraging.

p.s. I have already gone thru "more popular" books available, but unfortunately, couldn't get much benefit out of it. My Quant is good.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Research (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 08:46
VerbalHow wrote:
Hi! I am struggeling with sentence correction and came across this book "Sentence correction nirvana". Does anyone have any feedback/input on the book?

I read a couple of reviews that they seemed encouraging.

p.s. I have already gone thru "more popular" books available, but unfortunately, couldn't get much benefit out of it. My Quant is good.

Not really sure on this book. But I would suggest Manhattan SC. Its a great book.
If the theory doesnt intrigue you, then you can study notes for each chapter and do the practice questions using the ways suggested.
That you save time and improve your score.

Good luck

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 09:21
Hey VerbalHow,

I was in the same boat as you. I truly struggled with SC and got almost every single one wrong on my first GMATPrep test. I would highly recommend going through the Manhattan SC Guide and do every practice question at the end of each chapter (learn the fundamentals). From there I worked through every question in OG and the verbal review and really paid attention to each explanation. Once I finished both guides, I went back through every question I got wrong twice and wrote the rules underlying those questions. I'm now only getting one or two wrong on every practice test that I've taken (both MGMAT and GMATPrep). My first GMATPrep Verbal score was less than 30 and and my official GMAT Verbal score was 39 (88 percentile).

Best of luck to you -- I truly believe if you dedicate your time and efforts to SC in a systematic way then you'll succeed in this area.

Kudos if I've helped you!
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 10:49
Try Aristotle Prep. It works very well with MGMAT SC.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 04:50
VerbalHow wrote:

Yes, I do have sc nirvana, and and found it to be phenomenally usefully. In fact, I just chanced upon this book, since my roommate was a student at their coaching.

The book is "dense" initially, since it covers grammar in the initial few pages. I had to read this section twice, but after that, the "buzzwords" like phrases, clauses, independent, dependent clause, participles etc. were no longer buzzwords for me:).

What I liked most about it was the enormous diagrams and pictures given in the book and the way concepts are backed up by numerous examples. My favorite (perhaps because I was weakest in this) was parallelism, since the entire approach on XYZ analysis brought method to my madness of looking at parallelism questions.

Now (after many months since I started preparing actually), I am much more comfortable with SC, than I was earlier. Earlier, I had also tried out many popular books, and I was going nowhere with those, though I understand that every person is different.

By the way, I actually didn't know that this book was commercially available. If there is anything specific you want to know about the book, send me a PM.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 00:56
VerbalHow wrote:

VerbalHow, indeed I was in the same boat ...SC Nirvana is a very good book....for example, modifiers and their apparent thousands of flavors were just totally out of my grip for a long time, before I landed on this book.

Indeed, the way each concept is followed by official examples, and the elaborate pictures make SC look much more manageable to me now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 23:20
Hey Guys,

If there is one thing I have learnt during the GMAT preparation is that one need to organize his/her study plan well, especially for verbal. SC Nirvana is a book well organized by the specific topic tested at GMAT. I strongly recommend this book to build solid SC fundamentals. Using SC Nirvana with OGMAT will definitely help you acing the concept tested in GMAT.

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana.. [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2014, 00:02
A splendid book on sentence correction which will definitely help in improving the concepts of candidates.Help in increasing the verbal score.Recommended for SC.
On a scale of 10 would rate as 9
Re: Feedback on Sentence correction Nirvana..   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2014, 00:02