Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feedback on shortlisted schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Feedback on shortlisted schools [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 10:34
Hi,

I would appreciate it if you could provide some feedback regarding my choice of schools. Specifically (1) My chances at them and (2) whether these schools are what you would advise someone with my profile and interests to apply to. Areas of interest include strategic technology consulting and product/brand management. Tks a mill.

A little personal background:

GMAT - 680 (Q-46, V-38, AW-5.0, Percentile - 89%)

MS in Computer Science from USC, GPA - 3.96

BS in Computing from Coventry University, UK, GPA - 3.8 (1st Class Hnr)

Work Experience - 5 Years - HP and Microsoft

Current Job Role - Mix of strategic planning and project management. I evaluate the features offered by other Internet content publishing systems, propose and design features that would offer greater customer value-add and differentiate my team's product from others in the market. I don't simply propose "lofty" ideas but technically feasible ones that have product differentiating value. I also do the ground work of managing project schedules and technical/marketing teams that are both local and out-sourced

Why do an MBA - Much that I have learned today about product management and approving features based on their strategic worth has been on the job. An MBA offers me an opportunity to develop a more formal skillset to do the same thing with greater emphasis on the business as a whole rather than just at the product level.

School Selection

Safety but good alumni employers
================================
USC

Within Reach, Mid-Risk,
=======================
Cornell
UCLA

Within Reach but a Stretch
==========================
MIT
Kellogg

Shot-in-the-dark
=================
Harvard
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Feedback on shortlisted schools [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2006, 13:12
Expert's post
zambrotta wrote:
Hi,

I would appreciate it if you could provide some feedback regarding my choice of schools. Specifically (1) My chances at them and (2) whether these schools are what you would advise someone with my profile and interests to apply to. Areas of interest include strategic technology consulting and product/brand management. Tks a mill.

A little personal background:

GMAT - 680 (Q-46, V-38, AW-5.0, Percentile - 89%)

MS in Computer Science from USC, GPA - 3.96

BS in Computing from Coventry University, UK, GPA - 3.8 (1st Class Hnr)

Work Experience - 5 Years - HP and Microsoft

Current Job Role - Mix of strategic planning and project management. I evaluate the features offered by other Internet content publishing systems, propose and design features that would offer greater customer value-add and differentiate my team's product from others in the market. I don't simply propose "lofty" ideas but technically feasible ones that have product differentiating value. I also do the ground work of managing project schedules and technical/marketing teams that are both local and out-sourced

Why do an MBA - Much that I have learned today about product management and approving features based on their strategic worth has been on the job. An MBA offers me an opportunity to develop a more formal skillset to do the same thing with greater emphasis on the business as a whole rather than just at the product level.

School Selection

Safety but good alumni employers
================================
USC

Within Reach, Mid-Risk,
=======================
Cornell
UCLA

Within Reach but a Stretch
==========================
MIT
Kellogg

Shot-in-the-dark
=================
Harvard

Zambrotta,

You did a nice job of handicapping your chances at these schools. I wouldn't change it much, but one important factor, especially at schools like Kellogg and HBS, will be your community profile. If it's nonexistent so too will be your chances at these two schools in all probability. They want well-rounded types who lead in multiple venues.

You might also look at Darden, Duke, Yale, and perhaps Haas. The first three would fall within your Within Reach, Mid-Risk category (or better); the last would fall in the Within Reach / Stretch category.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog