Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 14:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Feedback: To retake, or not retake [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 10:53
Experts and Casual Observers,

I've been agonizing for days, and have finally realized I could use some outside opinions. I know these kinds of threads are common and annoying, but I've have few objective people whose opinion I can trust. So here I am, and I'm requesting your advice!

Question: Should I push back H/S to round 2 and retake the GMAT, or submit round 1 as is?

I recently took the GMAT, and while I scored 720, it was lopsided; 70% quant, 96% verbal. This is below my average quant practice test scores (720, 83% quant, 90% verbal), and within margins of error (according to the GMAC), and I'm not convinced I would certainly do better on another sitting, though I have a strong chance to boost quant. Not to mention, I've burned a lot of leave to study already, and my baby is due in a month!

I'm applying to H/S round 1, and if that doesn't work out, Kellogg/Wharton/Haas round 2.

The rub is, I just can't tell whether this will quant score will be a real, significant problem for my chances at these schools given their very heavy focus on mathematics, or if my background will offset this math score:
- Economics major from Northwestern (>3.7 gpa) and good scores in math classes (A in stat, A in econometrics, B/A- in calculus)
- Nuclear Engineer for Navy (Submarine Officer), and top 10% of Nuclear Power School class (beating MIT engineering masters holders, UChicago engineers, etc), mostly due to my IB education (explained later).
- Highly acclaimed military career, including 2 combat tours and selection as top performing junior officer and engineer in my Submarine Squadron (of over 200 other officers).
- Strong recommendations and (personal opinion) good essay.
- Lived overseas most my life, spent my entire childhood at an IB school in Asia, which is why I had so much problem with quant; my math has always been methodical and foundational, rather than memorized, so timed math is always a weakness for me (no excuses, I got the score I deserved and earned, just different methods!).
- Significant community service and involvement throughout my career, since it was such a foundational part of my childhood doing volunteer work in the remote parts of Asia and central america.

So that's where I stand; I feel like I'm in a gray area where GMAT won't help me (not with my quant at 70%), but I can't tell if it's going to hurt me enough to warrant an application push back, retake, and 5 simultaneous applications in round 2 with a new baby.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I'd appreciate some different points of view!

-Travis
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Feedback: To retake, or not retake [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 16:07
Expert's post
Hi Travis,

Congratulations on the soon arriving baby! The short answer is: no, don't retake it. Even if you improved your quant slightly, it would only be a point or two on the raw score which doesn't amount to much in percentiles. Quant simply isn't where you're going to get the bang for your buck. Besides, no one will doubt your ability to handle academic rigor. A 70th percentile still puts your raw score in the high 40s which is definitely in play.

Besides, your career and status as naval officer is amazing. Even if you improved your GMAT score 20 points, so what? A 740 isn't that much different than a 720. A 720 is already a great score and a 740 won't be that much more in all honesty. At this point, focus on your apps and make sure you're not overburdening yourself. 5 applications with a new baby will be a tough go if you decide to pursue that route.

Also, as a side note, and I'm sure you already know this, you'll have to start working on your R2 apps before R1 decisions come back. You don't have to submit them if you get great news in R1 (which I hope you do!) but they definitely need to be in the pipeline.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Feedback: To retake, or not retake [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 18:23
Bhavik,

Thank you so much for your kind words! My wife and I have come to the same conclusion that retaking the GMAT is, compared to time spent on applications, a waste of resources, though it's very reassuring to hear it fro someone else with perspective.

CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hi Travis,
Also, as a side note, and I'm sure you already know this, you'll have to start working on your R2 apps before R1 decisions come back. You don't have to submit them if you get great news in R1 (which I hope you do!) but they definitely need to be in the pipeline.
Bhavik

Yep, H/S are already done (mostly) so now comes the nice, calm pace of R2 school essays/recommendations! I appreciate your taking the time to respond, and your level-headed guidance.

Very respectfully,
Travis
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Feedback: To retake, or not retake [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 14:47
Expert's post
My pleasure - good luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Feedback: To retake, or not retake   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 14:47