Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 15:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 16:05
Hi folks,
Long time fan, first time poster here ! :)

I need some feedback on my Quant Prep strategy. I already read posts on Quant preparation and some great GMAT stories which formed the basis for the below.

I started my preparation roughly 3- 4 weeks – averaging 10 hours per week.
I started with Quant chapters on Kaplan GMAT Premier. I went with this book first because I wanted to get a sense of GMAT Quant, question types and topics. Chapters still left to complete this week are Geometry and Word problems. I can say that by the time I am done I will be 70% proficient with the Quant material in the book. My goal was not to master the book but to get a good overview of what Quant is all about in GMAT and topics I struggle most. Since I had the luxury of time I adopted this approach.

Goal is to get into a dedicated 20 hour study per week for the next months, planning on taking the GMAT in July.

Here is the Quant Strategy from next week

1. Review the topic chapter in MGMAT Foundations of Math ( It’s been 7 years since I left school)
2. Complete the topic – MGMAT strategy guide
3. Complete the OG13 and OG Quant Questions on the said topic
4. Move to next topic number – Repeat Step 1-4 until all material is exhausted

Please let me know if I am on the right path and any advise!

Also my personal thanks to the mods and members for this high quality website. Looking to take advantage and contribute to this site in the coming months.

Thanks much!!

Hulk 8-)

Give Kudos if you want to say thanks :)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 746

Kudos [?]: 3444 [0], given: 953

Re: Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 17:31
Expert's post
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1067 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 22:22
Expert's post
HulkSmashGMAT wrote:
Hi folks,
Long time fan, first time poster here ! :)

I need some feedback on my Quant Prep strategy. I already read posts on Quant preparation and some great GMAT stories which formed the basis for the below.

I started my preparation roughly 3- 4 weeks – averaging 10 hours per week.
I started with Quant chapters on Kaplan GMAT Premier. I went with this book first because I wanted to get a sense of GMAT Quant, question types and topics. Chapters still left to complete this week are Geometry and Word problems. I can say that by the time I am done I will be 70% proficient with the Quant material in the book. My goal was not to master the book but to get a good overview of what Quant is all about in GMAT and topics I struggle most. Since I had the luxury of time I adopted this approach.

Goal is to get into a dedicated 20 hour study per week for the next months, planning on taking the GMAT in July.

Here is the Quant Strategy from next week

1. Review the topic chapter in MGMAT Foundations of Math ( It’s been 7 years since I left school)
2. Complete the topic – MGMAT strategy guide
3. Complete the OG13 and OG Quant Questions on the said topic
4. Move to next topic number – Repeat Step 1-4 until all material is exhausted

Please let me know if I am on the right path and any advise!

Also my personal thanks to the mods and members for this high quality website. Looking to take advantage and contribute to this site in the coming months.

Thanks much!!

Hulk 8-)

Hi Hulk,

As Souvik suggested, it will be a good idea to take both quant and verbal diagnostic tests. This wil help you understand the basic question types and a taste of real GMAT questions. if you want an even better assessment of your curren level (or the zero preparation level), you can take a GMAT Prep test. This would give you a base level from which you are starting. On the basis of this score you can set your intermediate and final goals towards your desired GMAT score.

The strategy that you mentioned is the right way to, and even strongly recommended. As you must have seen that the MGMAT books have divided the chapters into basic and advanced. If you feel that you have just started or feel that your quant is weak then first finish all the basic chapters from each book according to your strategy and then the advanced topics. All the best for your prep!!!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:04
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Glad to know I am on the right path. :)

You guys convinced me to take a diagnostic ( little nervous!) . I will take the one from OG and save GMATPrep CATs.

Thanks again

- hulk 8-)

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 20:18
Hey guys

I just did the diagnostic from OG and I fall in the average category. I noticed that the questions were much tougher than topics discussed in Kaplan Premier 2013 ( I finished the whole quant section of the book).

I was just wondering if any of you experienced something similar or is it just me ? :(

Thanks much!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Re: Feedback wanted on Quant Prep Strategy   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 20:18