Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:02
Hi All,

I have given the GMAT four times and I am feeling ridiculous that I haven’t gotten more than 600 yet.
My scores
1st time- Q-44, V-27-total-590-(July 2011)
2nd time-Q-42, V-24-Total-560 (Feb 2012)
3rd time-Q-44, V-28-total 600 (Nov 2012)
4th time-Q-44, V-23, Total 560 (March 2013)

The sad part is I know I have been a naturally very good student at Math and my English skills are also very good. Especially, when it comes to Grammar and spoken English. I am not able to understand where I am going wrong. Another sad part is that this exam makes me feel that I can excel at it because I feel I am good enough but that never happens. For example in verbal, the first time I gave the GMAT i.e. in July 2011, I was hardly prepared. I went on my instincts and scored a 27 and the next three times time I gave the exam, I put in a lot of efforts to know the concepts and understand them but what was heart breaking was I scored 23/28 when I was put in efforts whereas I scored the same if not more when I was hardly prepared.

I am not sure what to do here. I still feel a 600 is not what I am worth. I still feel I can crack this exam but slowly somewhere down in me, I am feeling disgusted about this exam. I am a very ambitious person and always had this dream of doing my MBA from a top notch business school. That’s the sole reason why I chose to work in the service sector after my graduation in the commerce field. And believe me it is a struggle as some of you must know working for a low pay after doing a Bachelor in Commerce degree. But I chose to fight it out and did very well professionally.

I am in a huge spot here. Time is running by and I am not sure what to do about this big pain in my Life Called the “GMAT”. I don’t feel like giving up but I am so put down by the previous attempts that I feel very weird picking up those books again. If I do start again, I have no clue what will help me to ace the test and if I don’t start preparing again, I have a feeling a dream inside me is going to die. The very thought of that dream dying is making me do nuts. So I can safely say, I am in the biggest dilemma of my life and I need to get out of this ASAP if I need to be happy again. To add to this, everyone around me who used to believe that I will do an MBA from an exceptional college are slowly losing faith or may be have already lost faith. So I am like MANNNN what do I do.

Guys please let me know as to what wrong is happening to me. And sorry if this got too heavy but this is the truth.

And if any of you have a similar story and found a way out of it, I would love to know the remedy

Any experts are most welcome to provide an opinion.

Regards,
Still a GMAT aspirant
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:00
WANNAACETHEGMAT wrote:
Hi All,

I have given the GMAT four times and I am feeling ridiculous that I haven’t gotten more than 600 yet.
My scores
1st time- Q-44, V-27-total-590-(July 2011)
2nd time-Q-42, V-24-Total-560 (Feb 2012)
3rd time-Q-44, V-28-total 600 (Nov 2012)
4th time-Q-44, V-23, Total 560 (March 2013)

The sad part is I know I have been a naturally very good student at Math and my English skills are also very good. Especially, when it comes to Grammar and spoken English. I am not able to understand where I am going wrong. Another sad part is that this exam makes me feel that I can excel at it because I feel I am good enough but that never happens. For example in verbal, the first time I gave the GMAT i.e. in July 2011, I was hardly prepared. I went on my instincts and scored a 27 and the next three times time I gave the exam, I put in a lot of efforts to know the concepts and understand them but what was heart breaking was I scored 23/28 when I was put in efforts whereas I scored the same if not more when I was hardly prepared.

I am not sure what to do here. I still feel a 600 is not what I am worth. I still feel I can crack this exam but slowly somewhere down in me, I am feeling disgusted about this exam. I am a very ambitious person and always had this dream of doing my MBA from a top notch business school. That’s the sole reason why I chose to work in the service sector after my graduation in the commerce field. And believe me it is a struggle as some of you must know working for a low pay after doing a Bachelor in Commerce degree. But I chose to fight it out and did very well professionally.

I am in a huge spot here. Time is running by and I am not sure what to do about this big pain in my Life Called the “GMAT”. I don’t feel like giving up but I am so put down by the previous attempts that I feel very weird picking up those books again. If I do start again, I have no clue what will help me to ace the test and if I don’t start preparing again, I have a feeling a dream inside me is going to die. The very thought of that dream dying is making me do nuts. So I can safely say, I am in the biggest dilemma of my life and I need to get out of this ASAP if I need to be happy again. To add to this, everyone around me who used to believe that I will do an MBA from an exceptional college are slowly losing faith or may be have already lost faith. So I am like MANNNN what do I do.

Guys please let me know as to what wrong is happening to me. And sorry if this got too heavy but this is the truth.

And if any of you have a similar story and found a way oqut of it, I would love to know the remedy

Any experts are most welcome to provide an opinion.

Regards,
Still a GMAT aspirant

I think you should try to take less time between attempts. Really work on the verbal and identify your weak areas through error logs. Maybe change up your approach a bit and try a new study schedule/ plan. Also focus on the reasons all of the answers are wrong for verbal. What have you been scoring on CATs?
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 11:50
Don't get me wrong. Where were you all these days ? GMAT Forums have been like for eternity.

I suggest you to start a thread on GMAT Club with weekly updates.

Mention what all materials have you used, which tests have you given, which prep courses/tutors have you used till now.

There are lot of people on GMAT Club who have scored 700 + (yes their diagnostic was similar to yours).

Just recently one guy went from 480 to 700. Google Kaizen (if you already donot know).

What get from your debrief is that you dislike GMAT preparation and you use the same material several times and are going into the same depth every time leading to similar results. Getting a high score on GMAT is like climbing a mountain (though a 1000 times easier).

If you take long breaks ( > 4 months) you will lose your momentum and will spend some time to regain it, leading to less effective preparation. Continous preperation of 6 months is better than 3 segregated attempts each of 2 months preparation.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy. [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 23:57
AbhiJ wrote:
Don't get me wrong. Where were you all these days ? GMAT Forums have been like for eternity.

Mention what all materials have you used, which tests have you given, which prep courses/tutors have you used till now.

There are lot of people on GMAT Club who have scored 700 + (yes their diagnostic was similar to yours).

Just recently one guy went from 480 to 700. Google Kaizen (if you already donot know).

What get from your debrief is that you dislike GMAT preparation and you use the same material several times and are going into the same depth every time leading to similar results. Getting a high score on GMAT is like climbing a mountain (though a 1000 times easier).

If you take long breaks ( > 4 months) you will lose your momentum and will spend some time to regain it, leading to less effective preparation. Continous preparation of 6 months is better than 3 segregated attempts each of 2 months preparation.

Your exactly right. I have been following similar preparation plans and hence getting similar results. I ll kinda change my strategy this time.
But all i need is the confidence that i can get a 700. right now its like i have zero confidence that i ll get such a score.
I need to know from where can i derive some motivation and confidence

Thanks
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy. [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:18
WANNAACETHEGMAT wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

If you take long breaks ( > 4 months) you will lose your momentum and will spend some time to regain it, leading to less effective preparation. Continous preparation of 6 months is better than 3 segregated attempts each of 2 months preparation.

Your exactly right. I have been following similar preparation plans and hence getting similar results. I ll kinda change my strategy this time.
But all i need is the confidence that i can get a 700. right now its like i have zero confidence that i ll get such a score.
I need to know from where can i derive some motivation and confidence

Thanks

Faced this issue. Not believing in my ability to get a 700. The fear that I will screw it on the exam day and land with a sub 700 score.
You have to find a way to motivate yourself: There are several audio books motivational videos that can help you. Let me know if you need the details. You can join a study group that will help you reinforce the commitment to GMAT. Believe me its all about putting in the hours with the aim to learn something.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Feel disgusted about the GMAT..Need help like real badlyyy.   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2013, 01:18