Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 12:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 19:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (03:04) correct 33% (01:27) wrong based on 21 sessions
Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception to this is the fringetoed lizard, which moves at high speeds across the burning sand to catch insects. When the lizard gets too hot, it lifts its tail and body off the hot surface to stay cool, or if the heat becomes unbearable, it can burrow underground to escape the heat.

Which one of the following, if true, least helps to explain the fringe-toed lizard's choice to search for insects under the intense heat?

a)The chief predators of the lizard must take cover from the sun during midday.
b) Fewer insects are available as the day progresses.
c) Other scavengers chase the insects underground as soon as the temperature begins to drop.
d) The temperature inside the lizard's burrow might exceed the surface temperature of the desert.
e) Lizards cool themselves by climbing onto vegetation and taking advantage of any available breezes.

A, b and c are out - so between D and E - which one is correct .please provide reasoning , I will share OA after some discussion

Always tag your question

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 19:52
E. because D gives one more reason why the lizard does not stay inside the burrow during daytime.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:22
ichha148 wrote:
Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception to this is the fringetoed lizard, which moves at high speeds across the burning sand to catch insects. When the lizard gets too hot, it lifts its tail and body off the hot surface to stay cool, or if the heat becomes unbearable, it can burrow underground to escape the heat.

Which one of the following, if true, least helps to explain the fringe-toed lizard's choice to search for insects under the intense heat?

c) Other scavengers chase the insects underground as soon as the temperature begins to drop.
d) The temperature inside the lizard's burrow might exceed the surface temperature of the desert.
e) Lizards cool themselves by climbing onto vegetation and taking advantage of any available breezes.

A, b and c are out - so between D and E - which one is correct .please provide reasoning , I will share OA after some discussion

I'll go with E
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 398 [2] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with E.

ichha148 wrote:

All animals must eat to survive and NOT be eaten while trying to eat. This shows the intense heat part of the day is one of the safer times for the lizard to go grab a meal.

The heat goes away as the day progresses, and since there are fewer insects then, it would be harder to get enough to eat, so the lizard braves the intense heat to get a better meal.

The lizard wants to get to the insects before the other scavengers chase the insects away, so get to the insects in the heat of the day before they are chased underground.

It's not necessarily the "intense" heat of the day if what the author considers to be the "intense" heat is actually cooler than what the lizard would otherwise have to deal with.

This has nothing to do with the insects and since it doens't help answer WHY these lizards get insects in the intense heat, it "least helps to explain" the situation. Think of it this way, if you were to ask some biologist "Why do those lizards hunt insects during the day when it is the hottest?" and they answered "Lizards cool themselves by climbing onto vegetation and taking advantage of any available breezes." You would think. "Is this biologist crazy? That didn't answer my question. I still don't know why these lizards do this." That is why E is the answer.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
yeah E

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 23:04
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 23:38
thanks jallenmorris for dissecting the stem.

could not do it... :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lizard CR [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 14:55
You all are correct , OA is E

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 55

Re: Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 09:19
jallenmorris, this is a very nice explanation. Thank you.
Re: Few animals brave the hot sun of the desert. One exception   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 09:19