Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Few businesses will voluntarily implement environmental

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Few businesses will voluntarily implement environmental [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 16:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:49) correct 49% (01:35) wrong based on 108 sessions
Few businesses will voluntarily implement environmental rotection measures that benefit the public if those measures reduce profitability. Even though such measures may cost less to implement than the total value of their benefits to society, the company making the decision bears all of the cost and receives little, if any, of the benefit. For example, XYZ Corporation has for the last 10 years refused to install smokestack filters to reduce the air pollution emitted by its factory, claiming that the cost would be prohibitive. Therefore, if such measures are to be implemented to protect the environment, they must be initiated by government regulation or intervention.
The bolded portions of the argument above perform which of the following functions?

1. The first phrase states the conclusion, and the second provides evidence, the truth of which supports the validity of the conclusion
2. The first phrase states a premise supporting the conclusion, and the second provides evidence, the falsity of which would disprove the first phrase.
3. The first phrase describes a general principle, and the second provides evidence countering that principle.
4. The first phrase states a claim supporting the conclusion, but for which no evidence is given, and the second describes an example supporting the conclusion.
5. The first phrase states a generalization supporting the conclusion, and the second cites an example supporting that generalization.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
Why not D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 17:05
I think it's E.

The second phrase is an example which supports the first phrase. Hence, D isn't the best option.

Pls. post OA.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 17:32
OA is already present in the my post. please click on reveal. Also, could you please let me know how to tackle these kind of questions?
nsp007 wrote:
I think it's E.

The second phrase is an example which supports the first phrase. Hence, D isn't the best option.

Pls. post OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 22:22
The best way to tackle these kind of questions is like a normal CR question.

First, figure out the evidence and conclusion. Once you have them, figuring out the roles of the bolded phrases become easier.

This is how I prefer to attack these kind of questions.

Can anyone please suggest a better way to tackle these questions ?
7 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 587 [7] , given: 11

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Great work on this one. I saw that the "General approach" question got asked on this one, so I thought I'd weigh in. This is an "evaluate the argument" type of question, and nsp is on the right track. Basically, you want to do your total outline WITHOUT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE BOLDS. Once you've done that, you can try to figure out where the bolds fit in with your outline. ALSO, very often, it is enough to simply differentiate between what pieces provide evidence of or support for something else, which are COUNTER-premises, and which are mere claims/conclusions. Let's try that here.

Few businesses will voluntarily implement environmental rotection measures that benefit the public if those measures reduce profitability. Even though such measures may cost less to implement than the total value of their benefits to society, the company making the decision bears all of the cost and receives little, if any, of the benefit. For example, XYZ Corporation has for the last 10 years refused to install smokestack filters to reduce the air pollution emitted by its factory, claiming that the cost would be prohibitive. Therefore, if such measures are to be implemented to protect the environment, they must be initiated by government regulation or intervention.

Conclusion: Measure to protect environment must be initiated by government
Premises: Biz won't help environment if hurts profits. XYZ = concrete example of that premise.

What you'll see here is that BOTH bolded statements end up in that premise area. Let's see if we can find the answer with that info alone.

The bolded portions of the argument above perform which of the following functions?

1. The first phrase states the conclusion, and the second provides evidence, the truth of which supports the validity of the conclusion
PROBLEM: Neither bold is a conclusion.

2. The first phrase states a premise supporting the conclusion, and the second provides evidence, the falsity of which would disprove the first phrase.
PROBLEM: Okay. So the general approach breaks down here, because this does describe the two as both types of premises. However, the falsity of the second piece would not disprove the generalization.

3. The first phrase describes a general principle, and the second provides evidence countering that principle.
PROBLEM: We don't have any counter-premises here, so this is wrong.

4. The first phrase states a claim supporting the conclusion, but for which no evidence is given, and the second describes an example supporting the conclusion.
PROBLEM: Like B, this one comes close. However, the second piece does not support the conclusion, but the premise before it.

5. The first phrase states a generalization supporting the conclusion, and the second cites an example supporting that generalization.
ANSWER: There we go, premise, then a derivative premise.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 22:50
Evaluating the structure of the stimulus leads to the correct answer choice.. E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 08:28
Thanks for the explanation..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 05:12
IMO E

second phrase supports the first phrase

Success is my Destiny

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 06:34
This type of questions is realy difficult!

I think a study of all possible answer choices would be helpful. Is there a collection?

Kudos [?]: 587 [0], given: 11

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 07:39
Calvin,

Do you mean in more detail than I provided above? What do you feel is missing? I thought I was comprehensive! : )

-t

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:39
fell for B :(

Tommy good work again. Your explanation is quite comprehensive. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:38
4 and 5 came close but "no evidence is given" in 4 gave away and made 5 the winnner
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 02:23
This post received
KUDOS
TommyWallach wrote:
Calvin,

Do you mean in more detail than I provided above? What do you feel is missing? I thought I was comprehensive! : )

-t

Hi Tommy,

Your answers are always comprehensive and we all appreciate them.

What I meant is, sometimes I answer a question wrongly not becuase I don't comprehend the question or passage, but becuase I fail to understand the answer choices. Since there is a vast variety of answer choices (such as A is premise and B is an example; A is a statement that counters the conclusion while B is the conclustion), it is useful for me to study the answer choices first :p Would there be any materials on that? Hope this makes sense to you. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 587 [1] , given: 11

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Calvin,

Hmm. I think I do understand now. But there isn't really such thing as a comprehensive list of possible answer choices in "Evaluate the Argument" type questions. This is because the answer choices will change for every passage (they're specific to the exact wording of the passage). However, they do break down into a limited number of categories. Generally, every bolded statement will be some variation on a premise, a conclusion, a counter-conclusion, a counter-premise, an assumption (rare), or useless fluff (rare). From there, you simply need to read the passage as carefully as possible.

Hope that helps!

-t

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:40
Thanks Tommy! :) Will practise more.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 02:39
IMO E

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:52
reply2spg wrote:

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
Why not D

I fell for B because I thought if the evidence was false then the argument would not have stood its ground. But when I look at the the first statement carefully "Few businesses will voluntarily implement environmental rotection measures that benefit the public if those measures reduce profitability." the falsity of the evidence would not disprove the first phase. The First phrase says FEW companies would invest money in Env. Prot. Measures if the profitability is impacted and which would still hold good even if the evidence is false.

Which leaves the option E.

I am still not very clear on the word Generalization but will try to figure out.

-AD

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:56
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Great work on this one. I saw that the "General approach" question got asked on this one, so I thought I'd weigh in. This is an "evaluate the argument" type of question, and nsp is on the right track. Basically, you want to do your total outline WITHOUT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE BOLDS. Once you've done that, you can try to figure out where the bolds fit in with your outline. ALSO, very often, it is enough to simply differentiate between what pieces provide evidence of or support for something else, which are COUNTER-premises, and which are mere claims/conclusions. Let's try that here.

Conclusion: Measure to protect environment must be initiated by government
Premises: Biz won't help environment if hurts profits. XYZ = concrete example of that premise.

What you'll see here is that BOTH bolded statements end up in that premise area. Let's see if we can find the answer with that info alone.

PROBLEM: Neither bold is a conclusion.

PROBLEM: Okay. So the general approach breaks down here, because this does describe the two as both types of premises. However, the falsity of the second piece would not disprove the generalization.

PROBLEM: We don't have any counter-premises here, so this is wrong.

PROBLEM: Like B, this one comes close. However, the second piece does not support the conclusion, but the premise before it.

ANSWER: There we go, premise, then a derivative premise.

Hope that helps!

-t

Hey Tommy,

Its always a pleasure to read your explanations. I wish I can get to this level of clarity while solving the Verbal questions. :lol:

I have a quick question for you? In case the option B would have been as below without the falsity part, would B be a better answer than E?
"The first phrase states a premise supporting the conclusion, and the second provides evidence"

-AD

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 20:01
The answer is E.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Bold Face princenton review [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 18:45
subhashghosh wrote:
The answer is E.

Don't you guys think that the argument should start with "Only a few", rather than "few", because i feel that the latter one is giving a positive impresssion that there are some companies which can ignore profitability for general good.
Re: Bold Face princenton review   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 18:45