Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Few SC Ques ..Help please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 21:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Hi Guys,

I came across several SC ques in GMAT Prep which I couldn't understand how to solve. Here they are -

(Inspite of going thru SC notes and manhattan sc guide several times, I am still unable to solve SC ques, specially the ones I found in GMATPrep Test 1). Can anyone please help me.

Q-1) The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

A. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
D. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
E. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is

OA : A

Query: Why we select include and not includes.

Above question is discussed in: the-32-species-that-make-up-the-dolphin-family-are-closely-9155.html

Q-2) Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy Frist Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. the same

B. is expected to make an offer for buying Frist Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

C. is expected to make an offer to buy Frist Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

D. are expected to make an offer for buying Frist Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties if the deal was

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy Frist Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

OA: A

Query: Why not are expected ... is true?

Above question is discussed in: not-one-of-the-potential-investors-is-expected-to-make-an-13288.html

Q-3) The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the the previous year.

a. doubling the increase of
b. doubling that of the increase in
c. double as much as the increase of
d. twice as many as the increase in
e. twice as many as the increase of

Above question is discussed in: the-number-of-people-flying-first-class-on-domestic-flights-73281.html

Q-4) Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies' common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set cash more conservatively than they were.

A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were
B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends
D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

OA: C

Above question is discussed in: despite-recent-increases-in-sales-and-cash-flow-that-have-75275.html

Q-5) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

A. Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are
B. Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are
C. Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are
D. Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,
E. Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

OA: A
Query: What is the Importance of Coma (,) in SC ques like the one above ?

Above question is discussed in: neuroscientists-having-amassed-a-wealth-of-knowledge-over-96386.html

Guys, you have seen that I am making several error in SC and this will hurt me. Inspite of going thru SC I am still in a fix. Can you please suggest me how to go about it and explain me the answers of the questions I have posted.

Thank You,

Cheers,
Gr
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
greatchap wrote:
Hi Guys,

I came across several SC ques in GMAT Prep which I couldn't understand how to solve. Here they are -

(Inspite of going thru SC notes and manhattan sc guide several times, I am still unable to solve SC ques, specially the ones I found in GMATPrep Test 1). Can anyone please help me.

Q-1) The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

A. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
D. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
E. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is

Query: Why we select include and not includes.
Gr

The antecedent of include is the 32 species which is plural. Species is plural so the verb must be include, not includes.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
I think you and me are having the same problems. Why? you wouldn't believe I got the same exact questions wrong in GMATPrep. And I too completed Manhattan SC twice but the problem persists.

The only solutions it seems is practice as much questions as possible and learn idioms. These things are helping me, you can try too.

B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and (Redundant. Because growing itself mean as big as)
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being (Being almost always incorrect)
D. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is (Same as B)
E. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is (It somewhat refers to 30 feet. My opinion.)

Query: Why we select include and not includes. Because 32 species are plural.

Q-2) Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. the same
B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was (Pronoun error)
C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were (Pronoun error, them, and I think be signed is incorrect too)
D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties if the deal was (Plural)
E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were (Plural)

Query: Why not are expected ... is true?
“Not one of” in sentence is singular and required “is” and not “are”

Q-4) Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies' common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively than they were.

A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were
B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends (Idiom “Expect X to be Y” )
D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

Q-5) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

A. Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are
B. Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are (Conjunction and is not required)
C. Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are (Meaning changed)
D. Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, (Are missing in end)
E. Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, (Are missing in end)

Query: What is the Importance of Coma (,) in SC ques like the one above ?

Comma generally separates the modifying clause. Like in this case
The sentence actually says “Neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.”

But it is made complicated by introducing modifying clause in between.

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, (talking about something which is not related to what scientists are doing now) are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 21:27
Thanks a lot humans for helping me in SC. I guess you are right, I should practice more. From where are you practicing.

I had a question or two and would be glad if you could answer it.

Q1 which I had asked -
Query: Why we select include and not includes. Because 32 species are plural.

Q- How to determine that include is pointing to 32 species and not animal (known as killer whale) ?

Q-2) Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

Q- Why is "were" correct ? Isn't it referring to deal. How to determine what it is referring to ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 00:15
Good work Human. I agree with all your answers.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 21:40
Thanks a lot buddy for your help. Let me practice more questions to get my bearings right.
Re: Few SC Ques ..Help please   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2009, 21:40