Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jun 2015, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fight the Noteboards

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 15:33
umashg wrote:
I've read the posts on the subject and wanted to throw in my 2c:

While I agree that the noteboards can be a cause of heartburn for some people, I think the most important point for each test taker is to be mentally prepared for the setup (overall, not just the notebaords) before going to the test center. I've taken the test twice - first time with ETS, using paper and pencil, and then with Vue, using the noteboards. I honestly dont think the noteboards make that much of a difference. Like someone said earlier, any external factor can have a psychological impact on the test taker - it could be the awful cologne worn by the person in the adjacent desk, noise from the AC units, etc. During my second test, I had to endure a somewhat sick student who was coughing most of the time - the earplugs could only do so much.

The best strategy is to tune out all the extraneous factors and focus on the test. Specifically for the noteboards, I'd suggest using a similar setup on your very last practice test at home just to get a feel for it. About the only concern I really had with the noteboards was that all my fingers were soaked in ink by the time I was done - and the ink doesnt wash off easily.

Sorry about reviving an old thread...this person said earplugs! Are earplugs allowed? If so, can I take them or are they provided? Also, if you feel the pen's tip is no longer "fine", can you ask for another one? Or once you get a pen, that's it? Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 16

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 16:06
emperorblack wrote:
umashg wrote:
I've read the posts on the subject and wanted to throw in my 2c:

While I agree that the noteboards can be a cause of heartburn for some people, I think the most important point for each test taker is to be mentally prepared for the setup (overall, not just the notebaords) before going to the test center. I've taken the test twice - first time with ETS, using paper and pencil, and then with Vue, using the noteboards. I honestly dont think the noteboards make that much of a difference. Like someone said earlier, any external factor can have a psychological impact on the test taker - it could be the awful cologne worn by the person in the adjacent desk, noise from the AC units, etc. During my second test, I had to endure a somewhat sick student who was coughing most of the time - the earplugs could only do so much.

The best strategy is to tune out all the extraneous factors and focus on the test. Specifically for the noteboards, I'd suggest using a similar setup on your very last practice test at home just to get a feel for it. About the only concern I really had with the noteboards was that all my fingers were soaked in ink by the time I was done - and the ink doesnt wash off easily.

Sorry about reviving an old thread...this person said earplugs! Are earplugs allowed? If so, can I take them or are they provided? Also, if you feel the pen's tip is no longer "fine", can you ask for another one? Or once you get a pen, that's it? Thanks.

They had headphones and I think they provided ear plugs if you wanted them, but I'm less sure about that part.

You can get as many pens as you need, but you can't pause your test to ask for a new one, you have to raise your hand and hope they notice you right away, so it's probably better to check it right away and then try to get through once you've started.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club team member
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 19

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 16:44
Testing center may or may not provide the headphones. (I'm pretty positive that you have to have your own earplugs, it is better than to expect that the center will have them available)
You can read more here - gmat-testing-centers-discussion-77635.html

My Recent Posts:
All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews
Master thread - GMAT Prep classes links to reviews and ratings
Review: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Tests

Have trouble finding answers on this site? Ask me!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 09:39
timetrader wrote:
Testing center may or may not provide the headphones. (I'm pretty positive that you have to have your own earplugs, it is better than to expect that the center will have them available)
You can read more here - gmat-testing-centers-discussion-77635.html

The Pearson VUE test center in Pasadena, CA provided me with two new ear plugs.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 20:22
From what I have read so far, it seems you will be given a laminated paper booklet with 4 sheets (8 page) in total. It will come with an erasable pen but you are not given an eraser?

You will not be given additional pen or booklet in the beginning of the test and have to raise your hand for switches. I have been practicing problems and tests on pen and normal scrap papers, should I consider switching to the booklet?

It is annoying to find that you cannot get additional papers ahead of time, I am pretty certain I will use more than 8 pages for Quant given how big I write....
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 23:25
that's correct. you're not given an eraser... if you make a mistake they expect you to cross it out. of course, this says nothing for what would happen if your palms get sweaty and it erases by mistake :arh

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 01:43
shadowsjc wrote:
that's correct. you're not given an eraser... if you make a mistake they expect you to cross it out. of course, this says nothing for what would happen if your palms get sweaty and it erases by mistake :arh

I have been doing problems on scratch paper with pen up to now. Do you think I should get something like noteboard/laminated paper/eraser board to get prepared for the actual exam? I am not sure how much that affect your result....

Just for curiosity, how often do people ask for a note board replacement during quant and verbal?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 05:07
I hate the bureaucracy of the test center

i had given GRE in Bombay and the number of notebooks you were given were very limited.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 520 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 05:10
bump for everyone to see

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 00:08
This notepad thing is especially bad in my case since I have sweaty palms!!!!

But you know after taking the test for the fourth time and I am now used to it. I do all my practice exams with color markers (on regular paper though) and I solved my sweaty palm problem by covering my entire palm with the sleeve of my shirt while holding my pen....YES for the entire 4 hours I was writing like this LOL
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 21:54
I hate the pens. In verbal its not that bad but in Quant it annoys the hell out of me. I always have practiced quant with pilot uniball eye's and coming to these erasable staedler bullshits kills! I just ordered the MGMAT pad and I will be looking for the staedler pens.

@#$#@$ the noteboards!!!

Best.
Jas
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 26

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 03:55
That's a very good idea to try the pen out before the test starts and do as much lobbying as one can to get extra pains.

I guess we can train on regular paper with 4 sheets that have approximately the same size as the real ones. At least we can know how many pages we use.

Is it advisable to ask for a new booklet during the breaks, just to make sure we never run out of space in each section?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 86

Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:30
very true...Those markers and laminated sheets suck!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 520 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 07:08
Obviously, this fight has been lost.

Locked. PM Me if anyone has success in reaching out to the GMAC and I will open the thread back up.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Re: Fight the Noteboards   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2010, 07:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ]