Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaulate my profile;figuring out fit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Please evaulate my profile;figuring out fit [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 04:23
I am planning to apply in next year.
My current profile
Male, 23, African
GMAT- 690- I am planning to retake it year though.

B.Sc Accounting-Top African University
3.75 out of 5

M.Sc Accounting and Finance- Top European University
71%

Currently 1 year experience at big4(audit associate) and expecting to become a senior associate by July 2011.

Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (UK) exams completed for both the technician and professional level. 20 papers in all; started studying for this during my bachelor’s degree. Should I mention this as an extenuating circumstance affecting my bachelor’s degree GPA?
Average Score at professional level-68%

Others- Awards in school, Chess club member at both university and graduate school. Induction course representative at Big4, part time consultant at my father's medium scale enterprise.

But I would like to pursue an MBA in the best school I can get into but I am still struggling with the concept of fit. Is there a book that covers this for top MBA programs? My current preferences are an international environment (large percentage of international students), great opportunities for MC/IB and entrepreneurship, great opportunities for career switchers and non-preference for an older class with more work experience. My current list is (I expect this to evolve in the coming year)-
Harvard-Round 2
Chicago-Round 2
INSEAD- Round 1 (Class of December 2013)
Columbia- Round 2
UC Berkeley-Round 2
Stanford-Round 2
London- Round 2

Also, I am planning to attempt CFA level 1 in June next year.

Do I have a decent shot at these schools? Are there other schools I should consider based on my current criteria? Are there other criteria I should seriously consider? What other things should I try to achieve in the next one year in order to improve my candidacy.

Thanks.

real-business-school-admissions-essay-topics-humor-78619.html#p591652

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaulate my profile;figuring out fit [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 06:27
I think you have a shot. Your ethnicity will make it a more diverse class; therefore, looked better in the eyes of AdCom. I think you have a shot at the schools you listed, but I think if you can make your GMAT higher (740+), it'll make it a bit easier for you. Realize that your list consists of pretty much the top of the top b-schools and no safeties, which means that you'll be sitting out another year if you don't get in. This concept should be fine though, since you're only 23 right now and not applying until 24. So age will help you just in case if you don't make it. My question for you is why you choose to apply all the US schools in round 2? I ask that because that's a lot of applications due in round 2. Why not separate them out to round 1 and 2, to ensure quality over quantity? Or even have all of these as round 1 and you'll have round 2 as backups for other schools, just in case you don't make it in round 1. I'm just curious, not really trying to push you one way or the other.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaulate my profile;figuring out fit [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 07:21
Thanks for your insights.

I am taking the CFA exams in June and I intend to retake GMAT at the end of August/ early September hopefully with a score of 740+. At the time I would be applying, I would have only 2 years full-time work experience and I feel that the later I apply the better my chances because I would be able to apply more of my work experience to my application essay (I would prefer to go to the US). Even my round 1 application for INSEAD would be for the January 2013 matriculation rather than the sept. 2012 matriculation. So I think I would apply to London and one other US school in round 1. Does this make sense (given that I have heard that there is really no different btw round 1 and 2)? Are there safeties that meet my criteria that I should seriously consider?

Replies to other questions in the initial post would be greatly appreciated.

real-business-school-admissions-essay-topics-humor-78619.html#p591652

Re: Please evaulate my profile;figuring out fit   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2010, 07:21