Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: File format for essays/resumes [#permalink]
Every application I have completed so far has accepted PDF, which is just as well because I don't use Word. Keeps the file size to less than 100K, too. Nice and compact.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
What about for the self-reported transcript Excel file templates that you download? Keep in Excel or convert to PDF before uploading?
VP
VP
Ditto for those. I'm not spending 2 hours filling out those horrendous Excel templates. I've uploaded scanned PDF transcripts, and so far Columbia, Cornell and NYU have been OK with them. I had to call Cornell to tell them I wasn't going to fill out the template, and they said no problem, e-mail us a PDF version and we will add it to your file.

Of course, as stated earlier, I don't use Excel either. Google Docs all the way! With occasional usage of OpenOffice thrown in.

rca215 wrote:
What about for the self-reported transcript Excel file templates that you download? Keep in Excel or convert to PDF before uploading?
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Ditto for those. I'm not spending 2 hours filling out those horrendous Excel templates. I've uploaded scanned PDF transcripts, and so far Columbia, Cornell and NYU have been OK with them. I had to call Cornell to tell them I wasn't going to fill out the template, and they said no problem, e-mail us a PDF version and we will add it to your file.

Of course, as stated earlier, I don't use Excel either. Google Docs all the way!

rca215 wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear. I am using their Excel template, because it requests more (positive for me) info than is on my transcript. I'm just wondering if I should convert the Excel file to PDF prior to uploading.
VP
VP
Ah, I see. In that case, rca215, not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead with their preformatted Excel files.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Ah, I see. In that case, rca215, not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead with their preformatted Excel files.

I think I agree, but I usually feel a lot more comfortable with PDFs...much more professional! I'll probably stick with their Excel file but do everything else in PDF. Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Of course, as stated earlier, I don't use Excel either. Google Docs all the way! With occasional usage of OpenOffice thrown in.

Hm, I take it you're not going into I-banking?
VP
VP
Former fixed income analyst, actually. So no, I'm DONE with i-banking. That however doesn't mean I use Office at home. :-D

I love my Mac, my Google Docs, and OpenOffice.

sonibubu wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Hm, I take it you're not going into I-banking?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I used .pdfs last year. I figured it was the one way I could be sure that it would open and look the way I intended it to. It was especially important since I did my essays on a MAC and converting to .doc sometimes schools formatting up a little.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i too praise the pdf.

especially for the resume file, the pdf is great, better than the word document, as you know what they're getting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I have a question along these lines...
I generally convert my word files to pdfs before uploading but somehow for UCLA, i did not do that and directly uploaded my essays as word files...Now the part that worries me is that my final essays were a product of multiple revisions and i keep track of my edits by using the review tab in word. So basically the final file that was uploaded had the final essay but if in word you click the review tab, you see all the junk/previous edits that the file contains.
I understand that the file gets converted to pdf automatically on the app website when we upload doc files. Do you guys think that all that background info from word (read "previous edits") gets uploaded too. I reviewed the final submitted app and the essays look fine, like they should, but is there any background junk included in the final submitted version. I know i checked the uploaded documents, but still have this lingering doubt..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
topMBA12 wrote:
I have a question along these lines...
I generally convert my word files to pdfs before uploading but somehow for UCLA, i did not do that and directly uploaded my essays as word files...Now the part that worries me is that my final essays were a product of multiple revisions and i keep track of my edits by using the review tab in word. So basically the final file that was uploaded had the final essay but if in word you click the review tab, you see all the junk/previous edits that the file contains.
I understand that the file gets converted to pdf automatically on the app website when we upload doc files. Do you guys think that all that background info from word (read "previous edits") gets uploaded too. I reviewed the final submitted app and the essays look fine, like they should, but is there any background junk included in the final submitted version. I know i checked the uploaded documents, but still have this lingering doubt..

This is exactly why I converted everything to PDF before submitting. Wow, if they could have seen the initial versions of my essays, they'd probably send me one word ding email - "LOL"
GMAT Club Bot