Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Filipino MBA Applicants [#permalink]
off-topic my Filipino friend jokingly complained that he had to put himself as "Asian" instead of Pacific Islander. Being that Asian is now not an underrepresented minority he chuckled that this would hurt his chances, from say a Filipino living in Hawaii..

Is there any truth to this and do you guys put down Asian as your identifier? Gluck to all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
uh yeah..? we are "Asians" regardless of where your live now if you are a Filipino..and yes thats what we put on there..if you have a problem with declaring that then don't put anything. I for one have no problem with identifying myself with being one. It can actually be an advantage for diversity.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance and General Management
Schools:IESE (admit)
 Q40  V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
hi. just saw this thread.

Anyone successful in getting into your school of choice?

Let's update.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
filipino here, also based in manila. applied to stanford, wharton, kellogg, duke, cornell and ucsd - all in R2. so far:

ucsd - accepted with $$$
cornell - interviewed / awaiting decision
kellogg - interviewed / awaiting decision
duke - invited to interview
wharton - no updates yet
stanford - no updates yet

all the best with applications. good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
filipino also... applying to NUS, Insead and NYU

NUS - submitted for interview
NYU - submitted R2 waiting for reply
Insead - working on app

Good luck guys!!! :)
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V34
Send PM
Good luck guys!!!

Would you mind sharing your profiles?

I only applied to one school and was lucky enough to be admitted to IESE. Starting Sept 2012! (I deferred my admission). :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
bumping for more discussion!

Filipino here. Currently completing applications for oxford and insead. any success stories to share?
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V34
Send PM
Hi Countolaf,

Where are you based? I think the MBA programs of Insead and oxford are incomparable in terms of prestige. If admitted to both, which school will you go to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello. Filipina here. Got into Georgetown and Notre Dame, waiting on the rest, but really liking ND so far.

Just curious - does Oxford provide scholarships and are your chances lowered now that it's the later rounds?
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V34
Send PM
What made you choose Notre Dame?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
evigirl wrote:
Hello. Filipina here. Got into Georgetown and Notre Dame, waiting on the rest, but really liking ND so far.

Just curious - does Oxford provide scholarships and are your chances lowered now that it's the later rounds?

All else being equal, I would choose Georgetown over Notre Dame for the following reasons.

1. The Georgetown brand is more reputable, especially in the Philippines.
2. Georgetown is located in DC, which is amazing. It's also a lot closer to New York.
3. The Rafik Hariri building and its facilities are top notch. The rest of the campus ain't too shabby either.
4. The changes within the administration all point toward a long-term upswing in the rankings.
5. The community is extremely collaborative, and the alumni network is incredible.

The only way I would choose ND over Georgetown is if ND gave me a sizable scholarship. Otherwise, it's Georgetown all the way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
semiconquer wrote:
Hi Countolaf,

Where are you based? I think the MBA programs of Insead and oxford are incomparable in terms of prestige. If admitted to both, which school will you go to?

I'm based in makati. I initially made insead a top choice over oxford, but after going through several materials, i'm now leaning more towards oxford. I know that insead is way more prestigious in the b world but i have further considerations other than that. But right now, im not yet thinking as to how to weigh the options since i am yet to have one. ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
evigirl wrote:

Oxford do provide scholarships but relatively fewer compared to other schools. For Filipinos, it could be somewhat limited. Even the british council folks attested to such. Same as in any other schools, scholarships are better attained in the earlier rounds.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, I did get a more sizable fellowship to ND. I thought about going to Georgetown anyway since it is more recognized here in the Philippines and I do prefer its location more (I haven't been to Indiana but I've been to Washington and it's beautiful). But it didn't feel worth it to give up the fellowship when Notre Dame recently just shot up in the MBA rankings. And the community's REALLY been great. Alumni from both universities have reached out, but I honestly felt that the ones from ND have been a lot more helpful and accommodating, which makes me believe theirs is the stronger network. ND also seems more together. Since I've been accepted, Career Services, Student Services, etc have gotten in touch and they really do seem to have more of a gameplan for me.

That said, I'm not 100% decided yet. The fellowship doesn't cover living expenses, etc so I'm actually thinking of applying again in the hopes of getting into a school which won't require a US cosigner for a loan. That wasn't a consideration when I initially applied since I've saved up for my MBA and have support from my parents, but due to recent events, I really shouldn't borrow from my parents anymore. :(
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
evigirl wrote:
Well, I did get a more sizable fellowship to ND. I thought about going to Georgetown anyway since it is more recognized here in the Philippines and I do prefer its location more (I haven't been to Indiana but I've been to Washington and it's beautiful). But it didn't feel worth it to give up the fellowship when Notre Dame recently just shot up in the MBA rankings. And the community's REALLY been great. Alumni from both universities have reached out, but I honestly felt that the ones from ND have been a lot more helpful and accommodating, which makes me believe theirs is the stronger network. ND also seems more together. Since I've been accepted, Career Services, Student Services, etc have gotten in touch and they really do seem to have more of a gameplan for me.

That said, I'm not 100% decided yet. The fellowship doesn't cover living expenses, etc so I'm actually thinking of applying again in the hopes of getting into a school which won't require a US cosigner for a loan. That wasn't a consideration when I initially applied since I've saved up for my MBA and have support from my parents, but due to recent events, I really shouldn't borrow from my parents anymore. :(

Fair enough. All the best to you as you make your decision then!
GMAT Club Bot