Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 19:27
Expert's post
In Tuesday’s post, we took a look at how the top business schools may not be preparing MBA students with the IT skills they’ll need to manage tomorrow’s companies. That won’t be the case with participants enrolled in a new one-year tech MBA program offered by Cornell University’s Johnson School which is designed to bridge the gap between management and tech skills.

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2013/12/19 ... -tech-mba/

According to the school, students enrolled in the MBA program at Cornell NYC Tech are immersed in New York City’s tech ecosystem, where they’ll continuously work on projects with global business and startup ventures. Participants complete course work in the foundational disciplines of business, with an emphasis on the skills and knowledge needed to create business value in the digital economy.

Courses will include design thinking, global venturing, leading innovation, big data opportunities, and managing technology disruptions, among others. “The goal is to produce leaders for the digital economy,” Doug Stayman, the associate dean of MBA programs at Johnson, tells Business Insider. Startups may not feel comfortable hiring the average MBA, fearing that his or her skills aren’t suited for the culture and work of their companies.

“Organizations desperately need people who are true leaders but also understand the business needs and the technical needs,” Stayman adds.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Cornell consulted with startups and tech companies such as LinkedIn Corp. and Deloitte Services LP for advice on what to teach. By asking employers about the skill sets they need but are having trouble finding, Stayman tells the WSJ the proposed curriculum will include courses on software development, and leadership instruction will have a special focus on persuasion.

Graduates of the MBA at Cornell Tech aren’t meant to work exclusively for startups though. Stayman envisions the certification as a way to help the business-minded cross into tech, as well as give students an inroad to traditional management jobs.

Applicants to the program, which is expected to run in the low $90,000s, must hold a degree in science or technology, have three to five years of relevant work experience, and submit GRE or GMAT scores.

Soumitra Dutta, dean of Johnson, explained the degree this way when announcing it last summer: “We’re creating a program that addresses the fact that technology has changed the way business is done. It’s not about adding technology courses to an existing MBA, but about developing a new education and learning experience for business leaders in the digital economy.”

- See more at: http://www.stacyblackman.com/2013/12/19 ... 1OORo.dpuf

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 20:10
Thanks for the info. Any idea what could be the GMAT score range for this program?

Thanks,
Sumit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 19:42
As per one of the e-mail i have exchanged with them, they expect 75 Percentile in Quant section of either GMAT/GRE.

dadhwal1982 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Any idea what could be the GMAT score range for this program?

Thanks,
Sumit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 20:07
Thanks,

What about verbal percentile? Any idea?

MBAIndia2013 wrote:
As per one of the e-mail i have exchanged with them, they expect 75 Percentile in Quant section of either GMAT/GRE.

dadhwal1982 wrote:

Thanks,
Sumit
Intern
Intern

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 20:22
Really not sure about the range...I believe its their first batch of students and they would ideally look into the overall profile rather than being stuck on GMAT score range..Because possibility having a great profile beyond GMAT/GRE score is huge......

Whats your background btw and your GMAT score....

dadhwal1982 wrote:
Thanks,

What about verbal percentile? Any idea?

MBAIndia2013 wrote:

dadhwal1982 wrote:

Thanks,
Sumit
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 58

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 20:07
I met some of the admitted students. It seems like they really like people who have started successful tech businesses. I think it's a great program for someone really passionate about the New York startup tech scene, since that is a huge focus of the program (you'd be working with NYC tech startups the whole year). It wasn't the right fit for me, but I respect what they're doing.

I don't think a GMAT score will get you into this program. It's really about fitting into their mission and showing your success or potential in relation to it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 20:42
That's a good piece of information....But i wonder if these guys already started a tech business, why are the planning to do this course and be out of their venture for one whole year........

Would anyone know how many have been accepted already.......

Also, any idea on loan . Do banks out there give loan (100%) for this new course based on the Cornell Tech as a brand.....Any views or information on this?

noodlesnyc wrote:
I met some of the admitted students. It seems like they really like people who have started successful tech businesses. I think it's a great program for someone really passionate about the New York startup tech scene, since that is a huge focus of the program (you'd be working with NYC tech startups the whole year). It wasn't the right fit for me, but I respect what they're doing.

I don't think a GMAT score will get you into this program. It's really about fitting into their mission and showing your success or potential in relation to it.
Re: Filling a Gap with Cornell’s New Tech MBA   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2014, 20:42