Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Final month of preparation - Get the 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: SSE, LSE
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 13:55
Hey everybody,

Studied for the last 2 months and will take my test probably at the beginning of may. I would consider myself as average concerning my verbal and quantitative capabilities and therefore needed a great time of review.

For math and the general strategies, I worked through the Kaplan Premier and the Kaplan Math Workbook. The PowerScore Verbal Bible was priceless for my Verbal preperation and I highly recommend this book, since it covers all verbal topics very precisely and gives you a detailed explanation and strategy for each type of question.

1 week ago I started to go through the OG12 and realized that I get 80% - 90% of all the questions correct (in all the 5 areas). Furthermore I took a Kaplan CAT which resultet in 600. I realized that going for the whole test requires great stamina and I had to guess the last 2 questions in Quant. Furthermore I started with the Kaplan Advanced to get some tougher questions (especially Word Problems seem to be well developed at Kaplan). I also have a Error Log for Quant and Verbal.

My question is now, how can I best utilize my last month of preperation in order to break this 700. I feel confident that I can do it, however would like to get some hints for a strong finish. Should I work through the whole OG12, although the questions might be a little bit too easy? When should I start to do GMATpreps (Planned to do my first one next Saturday) and when start to review my Error Log? Should I also go further with Kaplan Advance?

Sorry for the long post, but I would be very greatful for any advice, in order to make the best out of the last 4 to 5 weeks.

Thank you so much
vonshuriz
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 17:46
Good that you are in a good shape.. I will suggest you to take mock tests and analyze the result thoroughly and work on your weak areas. Manhattan GMAT Mock CATs are the best in the market, as far as my personal experience and website reviews are concerned. make sure to take sufficient gaps in between mock tests (2-3 days minimum).

To start with, take the GAMTPrep test and make sure you do the AWAs. GMAT is more of a Stress Management Game than a Regular Aptitude Test. This test has the same look and feel as actual exam and has real GMAT questions (expired though). This will give you a fair idea where you stand. Then start with ManhattanGmat and keep a log/track of your progress. Manhattan does a great job giving you the analysis report and pin point weak areas. Save the 2nd (last) GMATPrep for 3 days prior to the actual exam. Take this last test under real exam conditions and AWAs are a must. There is 80% chance that your actual GMAT score will be +_20 from this score, unless you mess up big time on the G-Day.

Please Please Please do not study 1-2 days before the exam. You can visit the forums and create a template for your AWAs, but do not dare to try/learn something new.

All the best.
Prabir
Intern
Intern

Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 14:56
Thanks for your reply,

I probably won`t start with the Manhatten GMAT stuff since I think I got the necessary books with the OG and Kaplan ones. I think I will go through the rest of OG12 and do the GMATprep several times. After that I will review my error log and infrequently will do some Kaplan Advanced exercises. If anybody has some other idea let me know.

A lot of GMAT takers in this forum said that they were perfectly prepared with the OG12 and GMATprep. I feel the same way and will squeeze out every info out of this book.

Would be great if still somebody has some other tipps.
Thanks

Last edited by vonshuriz on 31 Mar 2010, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 22

Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:27
I'll keep this simple and sweet. Getting the questions 80 - 90% right is different, getting the questions 80 - 90% right for 4 prolonged hours is different. You have to train your brain to work correctly despite getting tired and charred. Take as many full mock tests as you can, of course, with considerable free-time squeezed in so you don't get emotional and dwindle your confidence in either direction.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern

Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 16:49
I will definetely do that. To remotivate and push yourself again and again was really tough through the Mock test I did.
Intern
Intern

Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+ [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 05:11
Update:
Well, it is definetely something different. Did my GMATprep 1 yesterday and scored an incredible 580 (Q:38 V:31). I was of course disappointed. Got some 17 wrong in Q and 13 (6 of them were CR) in V. However I read that some other people got high 30`s with the same number of mistakes. Furthermore all my mistakes were scattered so I never got several wrong in a row. A lot of unnecessary mistakes, which hopefully get less with more exercise.

Since I am still up to my 700 goal I will refocus now and brush up some basics. However I will focus on practice and more practice, and also on my error log, which has already some 150 entries.

Any other things I really need to consider?!?!
Re: Final month of preparation - Get the 700+   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2010, 05:11