Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
I've done countless hours of research and I've already applied for Stern in R1 and Johnson, Yale, Fuqua and McDonough in R2. I plan to submit apps for Kelley (R2) and Goizueta (R3). I've been invited to interview at McDonough but I haven't heard anything from other schools. However, I've dreamt of attending a top school (not that I'm disrespecting any schools I applied to) since I was a wee lad so I'd like to make sure I don't deprive myself of the opportunity to attend the best school possible if I stand a half-decent chance of getting in. I also would rather not stick around the continental US for too long after I'm done my MBA so mobility and international recognition are very important to me. Here's my profile:
Demographics: 22, Male Citizenship: Canadian (naturalised first-generation immigrant) Education: BBA in Management from public college in US, GPA 3.37, non-traditional student award GMAT: 720, 49Q, 40V, 6.0 AWA
Concentration/Goal: Social enterprise, with the goal of managing a social enterprise in the developing world
2.5 years for public safety government contractor, of which one year was supervisory. 25 direct and indirect reports, scored highest ever score in analytical performance evaluation
1 year freelance consumer goods purchasing for North American retail firms at trade fairs in Asia
～2 months at current job, communications role in local government HR department
1.5 years elected union steward representing over 450 employees, negotiated best CA of its kind in the country and mended labour/management relations
Campaign volunteer, 2008 Canadian federal election
Worked f/t while studying f/t during university
First-generation university graduate
Commercial Pilot Licence with ~300 flight hours
Lived in Canada, South Korea, Taiwan and the US
Native-level English, intermediate Korean, Chinese and French
The schools at the top of my list (other than the ones I've applied to) are Tuck, Haas and IESE. I think of all the top European programmes, IESE is probably the one where I have the best chance (2 year structure) so I've requested a profile assessment from them already. Tuck is my dream school but I haven't thought about them since I missed Early Action. My big question is whether I'd be competitive at Tuck or Haas in their final rounds, because while I don't mind flying out to Hanover for an interview I don't want to do it if my chances aren't good. If there's any other top 10 schools you think I might have a decent shot at I'd love to hear it too. Thanks!
Re: Final Round: Should I bother? [#permalink]
14 Jan 2013, 09:52
This post received KUDOS
Congratulations on your interview invitation with McDonough! With a 720 GMAT score and several impressive achievements in your career, you have some very strong elements to your application. Most schools will only consider post-undergrad work experience, however, so your young age is a real concern. I think you face a similar situation to mine. I applied to b-schools with just 2 years of post-undergrad experience and was accepted to my "safety school" but not my top-choice schools. I had a decision to make. I thought to myself, "What do I care more about, going to b-school RIGHT NOW, or going to one of my top-choice schools later." I decided to decline a scholarship offer to my backup school and apply again the next year. After attending Kellogg, I can tell you that it was one of the best choices of my life.
To directly answer your question: there are very few spots available in R3 for any of these schools. People will get in (otherwise there wouldn't be a Round 3), but given your post-undergrad work experience, I think your chances are very slim. I would recommend waiting 1-2 years to build up the professional maturity that b-schools are looking for and applying again. Many candidates who get into b-school with very little post-undergrad work experience later regret the decision to go so early in their careers, as they realize later that they would have gained much more out of this one-in-a-lifetime b-school experience if they had waited.
Just my two-cents.... I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make!
Re: Final Round: Should I bother? [#permalink]
14 Jan 2013, 10:27
Thanks a lot for the honesty! If I don't get into one of my top choice schools (Yale, Fuqua, Johnson, Stern) I'll definitely consider waiting around a couple of years to apply to Tuck or maybe even Kellogg.