Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 15:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me.
I'm now in the final three pre exam weeks and I'm having two specific (but not independent) problems:

1. I'm making between 3 and 6 calculation or silly (e.g. incorrectly copying the information of the question to my paper) errors in a full exam and this is killing my score
2. I currently do not have the speed to finish the complete exam in time. With the above mentioned results, I'm currently able to do ~30 questiones in the 75 minutes

To give you some background, I've been studying for some time now and I feel I have a good understanding of all the topics although everyday I learn a new rule or trick to solve some questions in an easier or faster way.

I'm currently doing around 50 questions per week plus one or two full quant exams with all 700+ level questions.

How can I best reduce this type of errors and my overall speed in the time I have left?

Thanks in advance for the help
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [1] , given: 163

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me.
I'm now in the final three pre exam weeks and I'm having two specific (but not independent) problems:

1. I'm making between 3 and 6 calculation or silly (e.g. incorrectly copying the information of the question to my paper) errors in a full exam and this is killing my score
2. I currently do not have the speed to finish the complete exam in time. With the above mentioned results, I'm currently able to do ~30 questiones in the 75 minutes

To give you some background, I've been studying for some time now and I feel I have a good understanding of all the topics although everyday I learn a new rule or trick to solve some questions in an easier or faster way.

I'm currently doing around 50 questions per week plus one or two full quant exams with all 700+ level questions.

How can I best reduce this type of errors and my overall speed in the time I have left?

Thanks in advance for the help

The only method of reducing the silly errors is by putting in more time. Double check whether the numbers you have copied down are correct and once you get your answer, check whether it makes logical sense. But timing is already an issue in your case.
You can increase speed in 2 ways:
1. Practice enough so that a question for which you take 2 mins, you start taking 1.5 mins.
2. Change your whole thought process and solve questions in half a minute each. But needless to say, this is harder to do. Most Quant questions can be solved logically instead of mathematically. If you focus on the logical methods, you wont need to write down much either. Most of your answers will come orally. But learning how to do this is a time consuming process. Anyway, I would suggest you to look for alternative solutions for every question where you spend more than 2 mins. Put the question up on the forum and you will get quick-fix solutions to it in no time.
Also, don't linger on a question for long. Check out this post for some timing strategies:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 21:47
I am suffering from same problem. Even I feel I know the subject but still cant reach that 27-28 correct in a test. how do i beat it. I have been practicing for quite sometime now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 07:23
Thank you for the reply and the blog post VeritasPrepKarishma.
I'm re doing all the questions I did wrong or those for which I spent more than 2 minutues in order to recognize better ways of approaching them and to recognize the most common errors I usually do.

As a result of this I recognize that many of the questions can be solved a lot faster if you take a logical approach, what is the best way to develop this logical method? Although is time consuming it can considerably help

Thanks again and cheers
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [2] , given: 163

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
htbreme wrote:
Thank you for the reply and the blog post VeritasPrepKarishma.
I'm re doing all the questions I did wrong or those for which I spent more than 2 minutues in order to recognize better ways of approaching them and to recognize the most common errors I usually do.

As a result of this I recognize that many of the questions can be solved a lot faster if you take a logical approach, what is the best way to develop this logical method? Although is time consuming it can considerably help

Thanks again and cheers

First ensure that you understand the concepts very well by going through books/posts (whatever you need). See some examples of how people solve these questions using the 'logical approach'. Try and practice it on some similar questions. Try to put your pen/pencil away and focus on each line of the question at a time. Try and work out what the line tells you. By the time you read the question stem, you might have the answer in your head or some manipulation might give it. Try to do all this without writing anything. It is going to be a pain in the beginning since you would not be use to solving without writing everything down. Also, some questions will involve some calculations which you might want to do on a piece of paper. But one sheet of paper should be enough for 20 questions. If it isn't, that means you missed out on the direct approach and are using way too much time.
For starters, when you come across a question in which you take a lot of time, put it up on this forum. You will get 1 min solutions to most such questions.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
Great!
I can do that in some questions and I'm defenitly noticing that the amount of pages/lines is reducing.
Since your las message I've been trying to avoid the "formal"/"calculation" approach for a more concenptual approach and it defenitelly helps. I'll try to improve it as much as I can for this exam and, if needed, I will perfect it for the following retakes.

Thanks a lot for the help
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I recommend u to watch these videos -
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/02/14/managing-your-time-on-test-day

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/03/02/handling-stress-on-test-day

hope these videos will be helpful
good luck

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

SVP
SVP
Followers: 185

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!: [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 11:38
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Final weeks: calculation/silly errors and speed :!:   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2013, 11:38