Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finalizing My List - Reapplicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 18:08
Hey guys, first time posting, but have been lurking on the site for a while. Looking for some input on finalizing my list of schools. Here's my profile:

GMAT - 720 (something like 47 quant, 42 verbal, can't remember off-hand)
GPA - 3.4 in Chemical Engineering from a private engineering school in New England
Extracurriculars - marathon runner, in a rowing club, musician
5 years w/e at matriculation with a large and a mid-size company in the Energy Industry (product manager role, business development/proposal manager role)
White male

Post-MBA goals
Short term - Would like to stay in the energy industry. General management focus in energy industry - GE's ECLP or EFS program, or do some sort of VC with Google Ventures. Would like to be placed in New England
Long term - General management or entreuprenuership, focus on incorporating new technology into the energy industry.

I applied to HBS (w/o interview), Darden (w/o interview), and Tuck (with a horrible interview) last year and got 3 dings. I almost applied to Sloan, but decided to hold off for a year at the last-minute. I received feedback from Darden & Tuck.

This year I'm set on getting into a school and going FT Fall 2014. Here's my list so far (in no particular order):

Sloan
Yale SOM
Darden
Tepper
BC Carroll
Smith

I'm considering applying to Johnson and Tuck as well. Any advice on what schools you'd suggest to reach my goals would be appreciated!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 21:28
Dan8294 wrote:
Hey guys, first time posting, but have been lurking on the site for a while. Looking for some input on finalizing my list of schools. Here's my profile:

GMAT - 720 (something like 47 quant, 42 verbal, can't remember off-hand)
GPA - 3.4 in Chemical Engineering from a private engineering school in New England
Extracurriculars - marathon runner, in a rowing club, musician
5 years w/e at matriculation with a large and a mid-size company in the Energy Industry (product manager role, business development/proposal manager role)
White male

Post-MBA goals
Short term - Would like to stay in the energy industry. General management focus in energy industry - GE's ECLP or EFS program, or do some sort of VC with Google Ventures. Would like to be placed in New England
Long term - General management or entreuprenuership, focus on incorporating new technology into the energy industry.

I applied to HBS (w/o interview), Darden (w/o interview), and Tuck (with a horrible interview) last year and got 3 dings. I almost applied to Sloan, but decided to hold off for a year at the last-minute. I received feedback from Darden & Tuck.

This year I'm set on getting into a school and going FT Fall 2014. Here's my list so far (in no particular order):

Sloan
Yale SOM
Darden
Tepper
BC Carroll
Smith

I'm considering applying to Johnson and Tuck as well. Any advice on what schools you'd suggest to reach my goals would be appreciated!

Your background seems like it could be competitive if framed well. If I were you, I might do research on the best consultant. Hire one and focus on top 15(20?) schools, and maybe throw in one safety.
Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 03:59
Thanks - honestly, I haven't really considered going down the route of a consultant. The feedback I received from both Darden and Tuck were that my essays were strong. My only thought of getting a consultant would be if I were to reapply to HBS, but, even with a consultant, as a reapplicant I'd have about a 0.5% chance of getting in haha

And I'm not sure if applying to other top 15's outside of my list would help me reach my career goals better than my current list of schools. What do you think?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 04:11
What kind of energy are you interested in? Yale and Michigan are good for sustainability. UT Austin for gas/oil. Austin may not place as well in New England, but I still think you'd be selling yourself short by applying to Carroll or Smith. You have a strong GMAT, a decent GPA (in STEM, no less), and a close shave at Tuck. Only a few people get feedback! That and they appreciate reapplicants there.

Try R1 for Sloan, Yale, Michigan, and Tuck. Then maybe R2 if necessary at Tepper, Darden, and Cornell?

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 04:18
Dan8294 wrote:
Thanks - honestly, I haven't really considered going down the route of a consultant. The feedback I received from both Darden and Tuck were that my essays were strong. My only thought of getting a consultant would be if I were to reapply to HBS, but, even with a consultant, as a reapplicant I'd have about a 0.5% chance of getting in haha

And I'm not sure if applying to other top 15's outside of my list would help me reach my career goals better than my current list of schools. What do you think?

Interesting, what was the other feedback from Darden/Tuck? Why no interview at Darden w strong essays and competitive stats?
Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:06
machichi wrote:
What kind of energy are you interested in? Yale and Michigan are good for sustainability. UT Austin for gas/oil. Austin may not place as well in New England, but I still think you'd be selling yourself short by applying to Carroll or Smith. You have a strong GMAT, a decent GPA (in STEM, no less), and a close shave at Tuck. Only a few people get feedback! That and they appreciate reapplicants there.

Try R1 for Sloan, Yale, Michigan, and Tuck. Then maybe R2 if necessary at Tepper, Darden, and Cornell?

I'm pretty interested in both conventional and renewables. My background is in the coal industry. I'm interested in long-term strategy of utilities, and really just the energy industry as a whole - so I'm kind of gravitating towards GE's EFS program. I was definitely looking at McCombs, but their placement is basically Texas, and I have little to no desire of living in Houston.

I didn't know that Tuck appreciates reapplicants. That may kind of sway my decision. Just out of curiosity, why do you suggest Michigan?
Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:11
old1442 wrote:
Dan8294 wrote:

Interesting, what was the other feedback from Darden/Tuck? Why no interview at Darden w strong essays and competitive stats?

Honestly - I don't know why I didn't get an interview at Darden. Darden used the analogy of opening up a box of Oreos...they all look good, but you can only choose one. So, that's a nice way of saying that it was just bad luck I guess. They said the only thing I could improve on were my recommendations. They said they were OK, but other applicants had stronger recs. I did not visit the school last year, but plan on doing it this year. That may have had something to do with it.

Tuck basically validated what I had assumed - that I bombed the interview. She suggested I use the STAR tactic for interviews in the future.

Both adcoms were extremely nice and open, it was really beneficial.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:22
Dan8294 wrote:
I'm pretty interested in both conventional and renewables. My background is in the coal industry. I'm interested in long-term strategy of utilities, and really just the energy industry as a whole - so I'm kind of gravitating towards GE's EFS program. I was definitely looking at McCombs, but their placement is basically Texas, and I have little to no desire of living in Houston.

I didn't know that Tuck appreciates reapplicants. That may kind of sway my decision. Just out of curiosity, why do you suggest Michigan?

Michigan has a really well-known program at the Erb Institute that you can do alongside your MBA. Yale offers a dual program through the school of Forestry. My friend was choosing between those two programs and Berkeley. Since you you want be on the east coast though, Haas probably doesn't make your list.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:47
Woah. I hadn't even heard of the program with the Erb Institute. I'll have to do some more research on it. Many thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 14:59
Did any of the feedback mention whether the marathon running was a big plus?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
MaxReilly wrote:
Did any of the feedback mention whether the marathon running was a big plus?

No
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 16:36
Your profile really is rock solid from my perspective. Wondering if you visited campus for any events and if you applied round 1 or early decision?

I am heading to Cornell in the fall, but looked extensively at two of the schools you had, Darden and Tuck. I got waitlisted at both places. Looking at what you want to head into, I would definitely add UT Austin in the pack, as well as a bay area school, for Chevron.

I documented my journey here at 3hrmbaapp.weebly. Definitely think that you have a fantastic background, and you already have experience with one run through the application process.
Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 19:01
3hrMBAapp wrote:
Your profile really is rock solid from my perspective. Wondering if you visited campus for any events and if you applied round 1 or early decision?

I am heading to Cornell in the fall, but looked extensively at two of the schools you had, Darden and Tuck. I got waitlisted at both places. Looking at what you want to head into, I would definitely add UT Austin in the pack, as well as a bay area school, for Chevron.

I documented my journey here at 3hrmbaapp.weebly. Definitely think that you have a fantastic background, and you already have experience with one run through the application process.

Thanks for the kind words. I visited Tuck twice - once during a summer open house, and once for the applicant-initiated interview (Tuck was really my top choice). I didn't visit Darden or HBS. I think that may have effected the decision at Darden, but probably not at HBS. I also visited Sloan even though I didn't end up applying last year.

I applied to Darden and HBS Round 1 and applied to Tuck in its November round.

I was thinking about both of those options for schools, but I'm really leaning towards planting my roots on the east coast. I still may consider them as options for round 2 though.

I'm planning on applying to Sloan, Yale, Tepper, and Darden Round 1 and BC, Tuck (November), Cornell, and Ross in Round 2. The Round 2 schools still probably need some tweaking, but I'll finalize those in late August/September-ish
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 10:34
I would think about early decision if you are leaning towards any school heavily. Apart from that, sounds like a fun journey ahead. I am sure the second time around is going to be much smoother. Have fun!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [2] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Dan8294 wrote:
I'm planning on applying to Sloan, Yale, Tepper, and Darden Round 1 and BC, Tuck (November), Cornell, and Ross in Round 2. The Round 2 schools still probably need some tweaking, but I'll finalize those in late August/September-ish

That looks like a solid strategy, though given your stats, I'd dump BC. That's clearly your safety school and my thing about safeties is that if that was the only school you got into, would you really go?

It amazes me how many people on this forum get into a school and say - yeah, I'm gonna reapply to my top choices again next year.

Good luck - and when it comes to Johnson, make sure you apply for the Park Fellowship! It's only one more essay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager

Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 12:37
CobraKai wrote:
That looks like a solid strategy, though given your stats, I'd dump BC. That's clearly your safety school and my thing about safeties is that if that was the only school you got into, would you really go?

It amazes me how many people on this forum get into a school and say - yeah, I'm gonna reapply to my top choices again next year.

Yeah, you're probably right...but I'm kind of tempted to apply to see if I can get a large scholarship. It'll depend on how the Round 1 apps go. I wouldn't go if it was the only school I got into and had to go $100k in debt for the degree.
Re: Finalizing My List - Reapplicant   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2013, 12:37