Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally! (770, 50Q, 47V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Finally! (770, 50Q, 47V) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 13:12
Actually never posted before today, but used these forums frequently during my studying so have decided to come and start posting!

Prep:
Started studying maybe a month or two ago on or off. Took the last week off from work so that I could get 1 week solid of studying. I feel that taking the week off was the best decision I made as I definitely made more progress in this past week than I did the months before.

In terms of what prep I did, I initially was going to try to work through all of the Manhattan books, but got pretty bored along the way so ended up just writing a practice test and not doing so hot (600 something). After that I basically looked at what types of quant questions I was struggling with (Geometry, Inequalities etc) and then worked on large sets of practice problems for them in both Official Guide and Manhattan books. The biggest improvements I saw was learning inequalities properly, learning the subset questions (50 people like fries, 25 people like burgers etc) and learning all the circle geometry properly. For verbal I essentially just did those huge question banks on the forums for sentence correction and reading comprehension and found that after doing those along with the Official Guide Verbal book I was good to go.

My Manhattan CAT scores steadily went up as I did them, I saved the last two for Sunday, and did the two official GMAT practice tests yesterday (day before the test) scoring 730 and 750. I was pretty happy, but still showed up nervous this morning.

Test:
Pretty standard, I thought the quantitative section was a little easier than some of the practice tests I did (although did end up guessing on 2-3) and the verbal I found to be quite challenging, but I think without the distractions of writing the test on my computer at home I was focusing more and as a result ended up doing better than I did at any point during my studying. At one point I even tried to alt-tab to a different screen, just because I had gotten into the habit of getting distracted when studying at home.

Anyways fingers are getting a bit tired from typing, will be definitely around if anyone has any questions!!

Thanks again GMAT Club for all the help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Finally! (770, 50Q, 47V) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 00:45
Expert's post
Hey thats a juggernaut.
A V47 means you faired well in RC section. I shall really appreciate if you let us know your RC strategy.
Good luck for your applications.
Cheers.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Finally! (770, 50Q, 47V) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 18:30
Marcab wrote:
Hey thats a juggernaut.
A V47 means you faired well in RC section. I shall really appreciate if you let us know your RC strategy.
Good luck for your applications.
Cheers.

To be honest I did have a little bit of an advantage since I am native English speaker, but from what I learned while studying and studying with others is that everyone has a slightly different weakness when doing RC. For me the following things really helped me go from getting 50% right to 80%+.

- Avoiding "traps" most of the time GMAT tests would give me some obvious answers pulling key words you might have noticed from the introduction/conclusion to pull you in, or even switch up one of the words to swap the meaning. This taught me to really make sure I was looking for synonyms in addition to key terms in the question. (Can't find an example off the top of my head.. hopefully makes sense)

- Increasing reading speed. This one is probably the most important, I practiced by downloading the GMAT Club question bank from the forums and ensuring that my speed was up to par. By the time I had gone through the dozens of passages I was able to properly skim through a passage while grasping the main points. Ended up finishing verbal section on the GMAT with 20-30 minutes for the last 2-3 questions.

- Slowing down my conclusions. When I first started practicing I would often immediately jump to a conclusion and only briefly skim the article to confirm I was right. I learned to properly take my first instinct, but then properly and slowly read the related part of the passage to determine if I was write (this relates back to my first point where they often trick you by switching one word or using key words from the article in wrong answers to throw you off)

To be honest I never really came up with an official "strategy" more just kept in mind the ideas above. So this may or may not help you - hopefully it did even slightly! :)
Re: Finally! (770, 50Q, 47V)   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 18:30