Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally admitted...but advice needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Finally admitted...but advice needed [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 08:11
Hi all - thanks in advance for any advice you can give on my situation. I'm not sure there's anything to do at this point, and my situation could obviously be much worse, but I'm a little bit nervous and I want to make sure I make the best of the rest of my summer.

As background, I was working in an engineering role and want to make the switch to investment management. I decided last fall to go the b-school route and applied to several schools R2. On top of the stress of applying to business school, I then became unemployed at around the same time I was submitting my apps. At the time, I planned on waiting to hear back from schools, using that time as my pre-MBA vacation, and then when I knew where I was headed contacting alums to try to set up a pre-MBA internship.

Unfortunately, March and April passed without any admits. After coming to terms with this, I shifted strategies and began applying for full-time positions in investment management. That process had not yet culminated in any offers, but miraculously I just got into one of my schools off the summer waitlist.

I plan on starting to contact some alums next week, but with school starting in August I assume there isn't enough time left to set something up other than some informational interviews. I feel that I've otherwise been productive with my time off. I took the CFA level 1 test and have been absorbing as much as I can about the industry.

I guess my question is how will this gap look to employers once I'm actually in school? I'm sure in this economy I'm not the only person to have gone through this, and clearly it wasn't a deciding factor for the school. I'm just worried about the prospect of dropping six figures on school and then having potential employers be turned off by a huge gap right before I started. Any ideas about what to do now and/or how to spin this once I start interview season?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

Re: Finally admitted...but advice needed [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
I think you'll be just fine..you seem to be over analyzing your situation. I know of folks who were unemployed MUCH longer than you were before starting school..

Besides, you seem to have done a ton of stuff during this time, so that gives you a lot of meat to throw at your interviewers..

Not quite the most helpful reply I know, but yeah..there's not much to tell you..stop thinking and enjoy your pre-mba vacation!! :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Finally admitted...but advice needed [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 06:55
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are numerous ways you could BS your way through any questions employers might ask, but I have to think, based on my experience talking with other admitted students, that employers are probably pretty used to seeing "gaps" between when a candidate quit work and started B-school. Lots of people quit early and take the opportunity to travel. I think, if anything, it would be more concerning or tougher to explain if you weren't a career switcher. Don't sweat it!
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Finally admitted...but advice needed [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 17:31
I think a much more important factor will be your ability to network, get interviews, and then have compelling pitches to present during those meetings. If you can get on people's radars and come up with interesting ideas to show them, this will be the key determinant in your recruiting success.

Start your recruiting process now. Try and do part-time internships while you're at school, if possible (this may depend on the geography of the school you're at). You likely don't have access to your school's alumni database just yet, but focus on your undergrad & personal network. Except for asset managers, the majority of IM recruiting is done off-campus.

Get to work on pitches. If you do get a chance to show your stuff, you need to come correct in a big way.

You can't change your work situation, but I'd avoid bringing it up if at all possible (obviously one doesn't want to stress anything negative about their profile). GL!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Finally admitted...but advice needed   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2012, 17:31