Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Relieved to finally get GMAT out of the way. I am pleased to get the score especially after a harrowing experience at the test center.I walked in 15 minutes before the exam and the administrator asked me for my passport. I was then given one hour to come back with my passport. A very tense 40 mins and 1 cab ride and 1 CTA (chicago transit authority) ride later, I was at the test center and ready to start. So international students, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU. It was kind of ironic and embarrassing that I did not read the instructions on the GMAT carefully ( and here I thought RC was a breeze). :oops:

First few questions in Q were easy however it became difficult towards the end.No combinatrics questions though.

In verbal I got one bold face question towards the middle and some very tough SCs so I knew I was doing fairly well in that section.

Most of my prep was in the last 2 months though I had been preparing passively(some practice questions once every few days) for the last 6 months. Before I started any kind of prep, I scored around 700 on my initial GmatPrep test. I then signed up for Veritas self prep course since I thought a test prep course will give me some focus but I did not feel that their material was useful at all. It was very basic.It looks like most members on this site are looking for a 700+ score so I dont think Veritas would help you much at all. If anything it was a distraction since I forced myself to go through their first few online chapters. The reason I chose Veritas over MGMAT was the availability of more tests and more material. Once more in my life I was reminded, quantity never trumps quality.

Even though an Indian applicant with a base in technology , I concentrated more on quants since I was having an issue with timing. I signed up for the Gmatclub tests.My first test I scored 46% but after a few tests I was in the 75 percentile range.Valuable resource. It puts you in the mindframe of looking for gotchas especially in number properties.

I was scoring around 700-730 on my practice tests before I started using MGMAT's sentence correction book and Kaplan 800. My Verbal scores immediately went up from 38-40 to 44-45.I think a good verbal score is the key to a high GMAT score. I once scored a 43 on Quants and a 45 in Verbal and scored a 720.

All in all, very pleased with the score though would have loved 90%ile plus on both sections.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats rsrinivasan!!!

Super verbal(46); I would jump out of joy if I can make this score .. I got 49Q,33V(680) and I am retaking in 30 days..any suggestions to nail the verbal part ?
What time did you take the test ? (morning/afty ?)

rsrinivasan wrote:
Relieved to finally get GMAT out of the way. I am pleased to get the score especially after a harrowing experience at the test center.I walked in 15 minutes before the exam and the administrator asked me for my passport. I was then given one hour to come back with my passport. A very tense 40 mins and 1 cab ride and 1 CTA (chicago transit authority) ride later, I was at the test center and ready to start. So international students, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU. It was kind of ironic and embarrassing that I did not read the instructions on the GMAT carefully ( and here I thought RC was a breeze). :oops:

First few questions in Q were easy however it became difficult towards the end.No combinatrics questions though.

In verbal I got one bold face question towards the middle and some very tough SCs so I knew I was doing fairly well in that section.

Most of my prep was in the last 2 months though I had been preparing passively(some practice questions once every few days) for the last 6 months. Before I started any kind of prep, I scored around 700 on my initial GmatPrep test. I then signed up for Veritas self prep course since I thought a test prep course will give me some focus but I did not feel that their material was useful at all. It was very basic.It looks like most members on this site are looking for a 700+ score so I dont think Veritas would help you much at all. If anything it was a distraction since I forced myself to go through their first few online chapters. The reason I chose Veritas over MGMAT was the availability of more tests and more material. Once more in my life I was reminded, quantity never trumps quality.

Even though an Indian applicant with a base in technology , I concentrated more on quants since I was having an issue with timing. I signed up for the Gmatclub tests.My first test I scored 46% but after a few tests I was in the 75 percentile range.Valuable resource. It puts you in the mindframe of looking for gotchas especially in number properties.

I was scoring around 700-730 on my practice tests before I started using MGMAT's sentence correction book and Kaplan 800. My Verbal scores immediately went up from 38-40 to 44-45.I think a good verbal score is the key to a high GMAT score. I once scored a 43 on Quants and a 45 in Verbal and scored a 720.

All in all, very pleased with the score though would have loved 90%ile plus on both sections.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 13:18
Thanks 40plus!

Buy the Manhattan GMAT SC book and Kaplan 800 if you havent. I think these two books and reading all the answer explanations on OG should get you to your ideal score.

All the best!

-Ramki
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 13:19
Took the test in the morning -8 am
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
congrats buddy!

My GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
Amazing score!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 19

Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations!!! That's an outstanding score, good luck with your applications :)
Re: Finally done with the GMAT! - 760 (Q-48 V -46)   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2008, 12:24