Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally, it's done once and for all

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Finally, it's done once and for all [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 03:12
I just took the test yesterday and have been somewhat tentative to post my news here since i know my buddies here expect a higher score from me. But what I managed to get is 700 (93%, Q 49, V 36) :) ..I'm happy enough, to be more exact very elated, with my score since this is the very first time i have taken GMAT and since I'm a Vietnamese applicant who belongs to a not so competitive pool of candidates :) Now that i truly believe in the axiom "hard work does pay off" :!: I'm fine with maths but struggled all the way with RCs and CRs since i'm not a native speaker ..there must be way out and i kept hitting like crazy those LSAT RCs ( improve my hitting rate from shamefully low to 80% ).

Before i write about my test experience, I want to send my BIG thanks to all buddies i have met during the last 9 months here. They're all great, open-minded,talented, affable people: GMATT73, duttsit,gsr Himalaya,nakib, vivek123, Giddi77, gamjatang, Professor, TeHCM, freshinha12, vikramn, christoph, nero44, joemama, Paul, sis Honghu,Antmavel, krisini, allabout,yb, ywilfred, rahulraao, ihotseface,titleist,MA, haas-mba, etc ... ( I'm sorry i can't list all your nicknames here :cry: ..but for sure, I got to know many of buddies here and am really greatful to all of you!!) ..GMATclub and its member always occupies a special place in my heart!! I'm blessed to come across this wonderful place during my GMAT journey :)

And here is my test experience:
+ the test centre: it definitely partially influences your performance. My proctor was friendly but the test room was too small and rather hot. The hot weather made me feel like having a fever!
+ Test content:
@ AWA: was okie, i managed to finish the two essays but was not so satisfied with what I wrote.
@Maths: harder than expectation and GMATprep's. The questions were somewhat tricky. Right from the second question, the trickiness showed up! At about the 5th or 6th question, I messed up with a simple problem( it would be very easy to me under normal condition) and got panic since then ( Please don't get yourself mess up with a simple problem coz it will put your down for the rest!). My maths section's level of difficulty was like an upside down parabola :!: Coz at the middle of the section, I encountered a real tough geometry question and Vene diagram problem involving 3 or 4 objects ( make sure you practise this kind of question A LOT so that you won't be crippled under timing condition). What i would say is PVUE favors geometry ( I got about 7 questions on this field) and vene-diagram problems( this kind of problem will be the weapon of PVUE to cripple those who get hurried during test). I was somewhat disappointed with my maths performance since maths is always my strength.

@Verbal: Well, i was down after maths section but tried to cheer myself up and refresh my mind so verbal section turnt out to be okie. The answer choices looked distinguishable to me then. I got a few SCs at first then came a long RC( i remember someone said that at least one real GMAT RC is about women in history and it was true in my case!) . CRs were not too tough, easier than those posted here recently. Fpr those who are about to take test, make sure you get very familiar with modifier problems ...most of my SCs were about modifier.

Before i could see my score, I was somewhat hopeless and thought of having to retake the test. But as soon as i glanced at the number 7... , I almost burst out in tears. This score does mean a lot to me since in one week later i'll have to write 8 final papers ...what if i had had a worse score, the rest would have been unbearable ...

Hik, it's too long, if you need to ask anything, just lemme know :) I've been and will always be a devoted member to this club ....

Last edited by laxieqv on 29 Jun 2006, 08:17, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 03:27
Time to celebrate...... :woohoo
Many Congratulations!!!!!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 03:42
walla !!

Great to hear your good news in the morning here
Congrats and stay with us to share the rest of your experience

:wave

I believe its yogurt!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 05:09
Congratulations and thanks very much for sharing.

I think most of us can all relate very well to your emotions. All your struggles with the verbal section will only serve to improve your language skills. Its very difficult to improve that part once you arrive here.

Best Wishes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 05:25
Congrats!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 06:05
Congrats !!!! Great score !!!! your hard work and dedication paid to you .
All the best for your applications . I'm sure you will get into your dream school .
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 06:40
Congratulations (again) for a job well done! I dare to say you deserve a higher score but 700 is good enough for anything. Let us know what your next plan is and good luck with your 8 (wow) final papers!

Hong

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 06:45
lexi..congrats....i share the opinon of the rest that ur soo much more talented and deserving of a higher score..but with a 700 you can get into any school...best of luck...and stick around gmatclub...
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 07:06
Hey Laxie,

Congratulations on a Great Score!!! :band

I know who you are referring to when you mentioned "my buddies here expect a higher score from me". I expect a better score from you because "YOU ARE THE MOST INTELLIGENT FEMALE THAT I HAVE EVER MET (well I am yet to meet you in person). And HongHu is not counted as a human being because SHE is a Goddess :wink:

GUYS,
I have PMed Laxie with so many ABOVE 51 level Quant questions and every single time she has come up with a GREAT solution. Hence the respect :pray and higher expcetation.

Standarzied tests don't really measure your Intelligenece. That's why the schools look at other apects of your application. With your not-so-common-profile and a score of 700, you really have a good shot at all of the Top business schools. Work on your essays properly and you are on your way to your dream school.

:thanks for all your help and encouragement.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 07:13
(Hey, I'm human. Very. :P)

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 07:14
Laxie,

sincere congratulations!!! 9 months of dedication paid off!!! I really think 700 is a great score no matter what others expected... I would love to grab 700, even if it has zeros behind it!!! :P

good luck on your papers! (all 8 of them!!!) however don't forget to party!
:woohoo

ps did you do the challenges of this site? if so, can you post you correlation results here?

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... d8fb4d3deb

also, how low was your verbal score when you started? and how did you deal with the time pressure on that section since you are ESL?

thanks!
u2lover
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 09:16
Thank you all for your wishes!!! :)

@Giddi: Hik, please don't praise me that much :"> . I know my limit ;)
@sis Honghu: You're simply a genius ;)
@U2lover: I did post my challenges scores in the link you provided :)
My verbal scores strongly fluctuate from 22( at that time, i was tired after whole day's class and didn't focus at all) to 42 ...it all depends on how well i can stay focused ( a subtle mental stability which I hardly get to). But i did see my RCs improved much since i employed the tactic of GMATT73: read and sustain the first question in your head when you go through the whole passage, try to get it right, the rest will be smoother. Also, try to have some interest in reading those passages. Get out of your mind the meer purpose of getting the answer, instead, think that you're gaining some knowledge from reading those passages ( this tip was provided by many other members here :)
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 09:41
laxieqv wrote:
@U2lover: I did post my challenges scores in the link you provided :)

wow... 99th percentile in 3 of those... you are math wiz indeed!

:thanks a bunch for the info! and good luck once again
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 09:42
Way to go.... :wave

Party time.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 10:05
laxie ..great score.
Best of luck with your applications.

Gosh .. look at the number of posts you've done. Certainly one of the key members of this club.

I am only one; but I am still one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
- Helen Keller

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally, it's done once and for all [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 10:06
laxi, congratualtions. :band

thats a great score but you deserve well above that. your qt doesnot represent you. you deserve 51.

I am happy for you. this is a party time :woohoo

all the best for application procedures.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Finally, it's done once and for all [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 13:29
laxieqv,

Congrats on the score and best wishes! :gl
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 14:02
Congratulation Laxie! Boy I'm happy for you. I know you studied diligently from our conversation in Guanzhou when we met :) I'm glad that it's all over and do let me know how it unfolds in terms of b-school applications for you. Keep in touch.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 14:37
Great Job, congrats and welcome to round 2 :moped
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 14:37
Hey Laxie!! That's a great score. I am sure you are worth more than 700, but hey, as most of us believe, this exam score doesn't truly represent one's potential. In relative terms (in my mind), if HongHu is 780, you are 770! So, a BIG CONGRATS!!!! Your hardwork has paid off. Just one look at your posts would tell how diligent and thorough you are. I took a lot of inspiration from you, HongHu, GMATT73, duttsit and other people! All you guys are special. Thank You for that!

As usual, Good Luck with the next steps and please do stick around. In the future, I am sure you'll do amazingly well in whatever you choose to do! My Best Wishes!
  [#permalink] 27 Jun 2006, 14:37