Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41)AWA(5.5)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41)AWA(5.5) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
got the score for AWA: 5.5
Hey all
hi all

Im extremely happy to share my GMAT score of 740 (Q50,V41) with all of u . :musband Finally i gave my GMAT today and opened my eyes to see a 740 :) in front of me :) I cant tel you how contended im and relieved .Its been a journey of around 4 months ,on and off to get to this day.I m extremely thankful to this forum and to the people here who have solved all the questions which i posted (including all the SCs which i never used to underline ;) )and to those who posted with very good questions here ....... GMAT CLUB rocks ... because of this kind of active flow of questions only people like me learn ;) thank u thank u thank u

yes special thanks goes to arj (who helped me through out ...),suresh(for solving all the questions and for ur kudos ),jallen (actually u manage the forums well),leo(ur explanations in verbal are commendable),durgesh(hey i havent seen a quant guru like u),GMAT TIGER (i still remember asking u the strategy to score above 750 .....not 750 but yes 740 thanks and ur explantions about answers rock ),mohindru(very active replier .... good posting ),tarek(where do u get the questions),scthakur (i think u will be next durgesh :)),amitdgr(very active posting ,quality questions and too gud maths skills :) ) oops i hope im not missing anyone and ofcourse thanks all of u

Resources used

OG11-RC,CR and Quant,OG-10, MGMAT SC guide,Powerprep CR Bible ,GMATClub math questions in the forum and also forum quesions,KAPLAN GMAT book,Spidey notes,AWA essays(all official guide essays),Idioms doc.

Practice Tests and preperation stages:

I just started my GMAT preparation with a diag test on internet and got a 645 in that.

Bought a KAPLAN GMAT book and started preparing ,did most of the questions ,read the strategies and solved quant .

Kaplan GMAT1 -> 570 -> Q42 V29 (All silly mistakes in quant,careless ,messing tricky questions and DS majorly)

Then Concentrated on verbal ,nothing happened ,but not to forget KAPLAN tests are a level above .My quant got poorer but being from a technical background i was quite confident about my quant ,this was a major mistake i did ,i took quant very lightly,all the mistakes in quant were careless and due to tricky questions,i used to solve each quant question in less than a 40sec but wrong answer.Learning is that one patiently attemp quant questions especially DS.
Verbal was extremely bad since i used to waste time in RCs while SC and CR were no good.

Kaplan GMAT2 -> 560 -> Q40 V26

Started with OG10,brushed up quant from KAPLAN ,practiced the Forum quant challenges and yes a regular posting in GMAT club at this point ,remarkable improvement.....

But not to forget ,GMATprep1's 645 is not great
GMATprep1->First time->645->Q50,V38

All Bucked up and started with again revising and solving more questions ,not to forget did all the 1000 SC RC CR questions ,one blunder which i did was not referring Manhattan SC and CR bible and OG11 quant But still managed a V31 and yes Quant (i started spending more time and attention to each question)Thanks to forum posts..... for this score... not forgetting 1000SC,CR....and RC which were almost always wrong for me

KAPLAN GMAT3 -> 620 (Q50,V31) yippyyy ;) good score

Next week bucked up to take the date ,just one more test i wanted to give and i lost :( verbal was pathetic ,all my hard work became meaningless... did not take date
Kaplan GMAT4 -> 550 -> Q39 V26

Got to know from few verbal gurus about the Manhattan SC,CR powerprep bible and then started again .

Stopped taking kaplan since i did not find kaplan of the level of GMAT prep and OEs were not good at all.My confidence was actually
getting low due to diffiult problems of kaplan.Hence started with manhattan and Powerprep.

Manhattan SC is awesome ,nothing like this one ,u can solve questions in less than one 1min if u go thro this book.Even powerprep CR bible is actually bible,this has helped me in understanding CR to a much greater extent than before.

Powerprep CR Bible helped me understand boldfaced , evaluate CR questions which earlier used to haunt me.I could do CR questions in less than a 1min and 30sec.Today this helped me in verbal .
Also forum questions and discussions were very useful .

RETAKE :confidence increased,the quant questions were new though verbal was same.Still seeing this kind of a score feels good.... :)
GMATprep1 -> retake -> 720 ->Q50,V38

Took 2 week off from office,took a date 12 days hence .
Last few days ....12 days infact played the most important role in my prep.Not to forget i did all the OG11 -SC,RC,CR,quant .Commendable improvement in RC ,i did all the RCs of OG11 with proper time limit on my timer.Unlike Kaplan RCs which are a bit tough and lengthy passages ,these RCs are small but mostly inference types ,Only such questions come in Actual GMAT and hence doing this benefitted me a lots.Rest OG11CR and Sc are quality questions.

2 days before actual GMAt took this test and was actually happy :)

GMATprep2-> First time -> 770 -> Q50,V44 wohoooo :)

Yes not to forget i got stuck in 3rd question of quant for around 10min and got panic but at 25th question when 26 min were left i told myself to just its now or never ,i could have scored better in quant but yes found quant quite tough and tricky esp DS ,remainder ,inequalities were bad today

Finally real GMAT :740 Q49,V41

Suggestion :
SC- MANHATTAN SC GUIDE -> its the best
OG11 SC
OG10 SC
1000SC
Forum questions
Kaplan SCs

CR -> Powerprep CR BIBLE -> the best nothing like it ,once u read this u will actually find CR the easiest and this even helps in RCs .
1000CRs
OG11CR
OG10CR
Kaplan CR
Forum questions

RC -> OG11 RCs are enough -> i personally feel one needs to concentrate while reading and get the meaning of the passage first before answering.
To practice go for 1000RCs

Quant -> OG11 quant basic concepts -> basics should be clear most importantly.Toughies can be solved with basic knowledge
Most important is GMAT club challenges !! (http://gmatclub.com/wiki/tests) do all the questions here in the forum and actually practice even if u are a techy (unlike me :( )

GMAT Vs MOCK GMATs :
This is one thing i would like to share .To be frank KAPLAN is not the actual representation of the actual GMAT.Its far tougher infact in a different sense,like say RCs in KAPLAN are too long and in GMAT they are quite short.KAPLAN CRs are tough like mostly inference but in GMAT CRs are like evaluation and boldfaced etc.And SC did not help much since OEs were not useful.
Also GMATpreps are exact copy of OGs but original GMAT in my test hardly had any known question or of similar types .The questions are far more trickier in actual GMAT.kindly pay attention while reading each and every question.READ BETWEEN THE LINES.But yes GMATpreps do help in practicing and simulating GMAt test scenario.

MY DATE with GMAT :
Ahaa i hope this is not too lengthy post ....
I woke up and felt very happy since today i had a date :)fior which i waited so long..... A normal morning .. same breakfast ....same TV channels ....but no PC today i wanted to enjoy before the exam...read news paper......started for my center at around 3.15 pm and got there at around 4.00pm.I was there and two more guys were there .... and then arrived another girl...
My test was scheduled at 5.30 in the evening... the lady there asked me whether i will be comfortable giving a test at 4.30 itself ,i said yes..... i was actually willing to crack GMAT ,its been long preparing ...wanted to crack it with good performance.

then all the procedures like signature,fingerprinting and stuff ....it 4.50 my test began .....AWA .... an argument on retail pricing ....could write couple of good points ...anyways i love writing hence not a big deal did this with full interest.Then issue ... not an issue at all....

Took a break .Thought about all the quant questions that we did in forum and other sources.It actually works if u visualise that u ca crack it u ll.Went to my seat started the test.First one was very tricky ,based on algebra ...i struggled hard for 3 min ,i felt first 10 questions mean a lot hence wanted to spend lot of time ,moreover this was the first question hence could not give up..but alass got an answer after 3 min.second was fine but third one was bad .this was on same old remainders ...DS ...i just spet 10min on this ,i thought i cant give up tried all the number combinations and still could not arrive at a conclusion.But when looked at the clock i felt lost.the next few quetions really were toughies and had to struggle ,sets were tough and tricky(language is very tricky),word problems of work was very tricky.Overall first 15 questions i got was quite tough
... but then i had least time with me i decided to move on hence had to rush with answering ,when we mentally think we need to rush we surely do welll...but in the end i felt quant was a mess and another bad day.....date infact.....
one person in break had brought chocolates .... we had some chatted and had water but i did not think about quant neither verbal.i was laughing and ready for the next

sat on my seat ,got a SC ,OMG thts my favourite and very easy one (comparison eg:like unlike type) another SC one more ,is god liking me.Felt happy which was short lived ,there comes RC.this was good .very short and smart.i could actually understand ity in 4 min.got 3 questions i could answr in 3 min.CRs easy ones SCs CRs RCs none was much difficult excpt one RC where i got stuck again.but move on was the formula today.Finally Last CR i cracked it ,was left with 2 more min but said yes to answer !!!hence finshes ...next->next->next .....instructor comes and says maam click next to see the scores -> nopes i had the least expectations today since it was my bad day and date !!! But surprises are galore !!! :)hence i had closed my eyes but he asked me to open my eyes to look at the gift of my date :) got a 740.One special date of my life:)

I hope this is quite a long post .apologies ....for any further queries let me know ;)cya tc all the best to all of u

I want to know about application procedures and related info ..will keep posting :)
BBYE HAVE A GOOD DATE :wave :musband

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 13:46
Spriya,
Congratulations again!!!!!!!!!! Awesome score. Hardwork really paid off. Good and very useful debrief....

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:05
leonidas wrote:
Spriya,
Congratulations again!!!!!!!!!! Awesome score. Hardwork really paid off. Good and very useful debrief....

Thank you

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:09
Congratulations Priya :-D

You Rock

:band: :wave
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:10
congrats!

do iu have any last minute tips :)

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:17
congrats my friend..i wish to have a score like yours one day :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:21
congrats, good luck with your apps!

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:47
Wow..Great score. Well deserved, SPriya! You have been posting a ton of questions and at the same time answering a lot of posts by others and the quality of your preparation shows in that score. Now, you can start focusing on the ever grueling applications..Good luck, mate!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 15:10
Wonderful score!! Excellent debrief!
All the best!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 15:47
wow! Congrats!
i will try to learn your tips to improve my score.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 16:41
:wave :wave

You smashed the GMAT .... congrats ... thanks for your tips .....

And please .. I am not good at maths :lol:

All the best for your apps ......

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 16:45
Congrates .. great score.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:27
:wink:
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs 2011

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 18:27
Congrats spriya. Great score
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 19:07
congrats !! and a very detailed post indeed :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:21
Awesome! Congrats! You did it.

BTW, did you take MGMAT CATs? How did you find these vis-a-vis the real GMAT?

Last edited by scthakur on 23 Oct 2008, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:21

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:44
scthakur wrote:

hey scthakur
Thanks so much :)
no i did not take MGMAT cat ,i just took Kaplan and GMATpreps

I cannot comment on the difference between MGMAT cats and Real ones :) but yes KAPLAN Vs Real GMAT
REAL GMAT is much more different ,wont say easier but tricky !!!reading once a question will not suffice,need to read twice !!or carefully :)its just maintaining composure and patience will help.
quant is a level above OGs but below whats in forums but yes forum questions will be a grt help

Verbal was a level above OGs but again forum questions help a lots
1000SCs,CRs,RCs help .

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:51
spiridon wrote:
congrats!

do iu have any last minute tips :)

Dont let ur confidence go down !!!Any moment things can change ... it takes one week to tune in :)
just do right prep material at right time and most important is that do give GMAT type tests like either princiton or kaplan and GMATprep tests

Last minutes .........
just two or 3 days before the Exam give a prep test and judge ur score but dont let it take on u :)
its like if u get good score good (dont give any further test maintain the confidence ,be optimistic),if u get a bad score then its good u have two days prepare thoughly find the loopholes and correct them :)its good to make mistaks to learn about them ,if u commit mistakes then u will remember it and wont repeat the same if u dont commit mistake that funda is actually unexplored ,many questions where we mark sounds right answers are of this catogary,yes last day just take a chill pill play TT,or jog let the sweat go out of body ,stretch .....these help!!!go with a happy feeling for the exam... i was waiting for my DATE :) ...............

most importantly take a DATE and meet the DATE with a smile :)and confidence rest things will turn good
HTH

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:52
Thanks all :) thanks so much

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: Finally opened my eyes : 740 (Q49,V41)   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2008, 22:52