Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally took my GMAT, from 430 to 660 (Q49,V31)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Finally took my GMAT, from 430 to 660 (Q49,V31) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 18:17
Finally, I have taken the grand test. Here is my preparation story to share with all my beloved GMAT Club members. 8-)

I started to study intensively two months ago, and after reviewing Princeton Review Official Guide, I took the P.R. simulation test and got 530. Aiming at USC admission, I knew that I had to get a score over 600 to have a shot getting in.

Before I took the P.R. courses and studied the Guide Book, I received a shocking 430 on GMAT on the first simulation test. My confidence was basically destroyed, and from then I felt that reaching 600+ was impossible. After I self-studied the P.R. Office Guide again , I had some sense about how the test makers want to get out of the test takers. Especially for Verbal section, I started to understand the logic behind CR.

My second P.R. simulation test was taken after I finished 50% of the GMAT OG 11th edition, and I got a 570. Although not enough, I felt that I was on the right track; I also built up my confidence again. After I finished almost 80% of the OG 11th edition, I took the first GMAT Prep and I couldn't believe my eyes that I got a 660. Then I posted my first thread at GMAT Club about how indicative GMATPrep score is.

So far I have taken three tests in which I omitted the essay section. Taking suggestions from the members here, I decided to take a full GMATPrep with essay a week later. This time I got a 680, but I did see few of the same questions from my first GMATPrep. Two days ago, I did the GMATPrep again and received 710, but I saw even more questions which appeared in my first and second GMATPrep.

I felt like maybe 710 is doable in reality. With second language in English, Verbal is really a challenge, and in order to get over 700, I know that I have to get above 31 in Verbal and maintain a 50 or 51 in Quantative section. I was telling myself, "if I got lucky on some RC topics with which I am more familiar, such as Business, Technology, Manufacturing, etc. then reaching 700 is not impossible!)

However, I was too nervous to sleep well the night before the exam. What went worse is that the questions I got were totally different from my practice ones. For instance, I always got DS with x+y>1 and x/y>1 that type of questions. I saw maybe one or two only today. I pretty much was panic a bit because all the questions, especially DS, were too creative and too different from the ones in my practices. I even found myself not having enough time to finish and I had to guess a few DS questions.

The Verbal section was even more bizzare. Usually I received CR questions about what statement undermines the conclusion, etc. I received one CR about weakening the statement. I would say 1/3 of my CR consisted of choosing an conclusion for a passage and asking for assumptions. Most of my SC were short sentences, and only one of my RCs were long enough to scroll down. At that point, not only could I not focus but also had I lost my confidence because my Verbal section seemed too easy.

After I filled out the survey, I pushed the next button holding my breathe... I even covered my eyes, thinking that I had to retake this and pay another $250. The score of 660 was not very good and far from what I expected (over 700), though, now I've decided to focus on the rest of my applications. If the school requires me to take one more GMAT, then I will do so. Meanwhile, I will continue to visit the forum regularly to practice my verbal!

At last but not least, do you guys think 660 has a shot getting into USC? I was even dreaming about applying Stanford (IF and only IF I got over 700)... Any feedback or recommendation for me? Thank you.
:P

One thing I can share with members who are in 400-high 500 range is that 100+ points improvement is definitely doable. My verbal is still bad, but I improved a lot from 9 to 31 by understanding the concept behind test makers. Right now my strongest part in Verbal is CR; I can basically got most questions right (as long as there is no new vocab in the questions so I can have a fully understanding). SC is what I have to work on. RC involves some of the CR logic as well. In addition, once you get how to define the meaning for the passage, you may answer the type of question "What is this passage about", and you will at least score 1/4 to 1/3 of CR.

Just my 2cents....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 18:52
Congrats ensheep.
All the best for your apps. :gl
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 19:54
this post is boosting my confidence!!! I see your trend in my prep... I had no idea what CR was all about and now it is a whole different story with stable hit rate of 85%

great job!!! congratulations!!!

:banana
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 12:13
Inspirational improvement; congratulation on great job.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 22:34
really inspirational post,... I hope to follow your steps...

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

[#permalink] 14 Jul 2006, 22:34