Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finance Course

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 4: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE: Underwriter (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

Finance Course [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 18:34
Hello,

I will be applying this fall for 2013 matriculation. I had a 2.7 GPA as an undergraduate back in 2004. I was also an English major and didn't take any quantitative courses. Naturally, there will be some questions about my ability to handle the rigors of an MBA program. In the past 2.5 years I have taken supplemental courses (through UCLA Extension) in economics, accounting, statistics, and a business math course that touched on a little bit of calculus. (The business math course was far too easy and caused me to start thinking about taking a full blown calculus course.) I received A's in all of them and with my 700 (89% Verbal, 72% Quant) GMAT score, I thought I had fully addressed the low GPA.

However, during a recent chat with an admissions consultant, it was suggested that I take another course, this time in finance. I was hoping to get some opinions on whether taking a finance course would prove helpful to my admissions chances. Or would I be better off focusing on other parts of my application?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Finance Course [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:44
Expert's post
Hmmmm, I don't think that individual courses has ever broken or made an application, but other things like your GMAT, volunteer experience, leadership, essay CAN. If you have the time and interest, why not? If it's a pain or you have better things to do, it's not likely that which will get you accepted (unless you are planning on moving to finance, in which case it might look good)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Finance Course   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2012, 00:44