Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finance guys, explain this to me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Finance guys, explain this to me! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Every time the market goes up or down, the media seem to love to assign some reason for it.

Take the upswing today:

"NEW YORK – The stock market showed renewed confidence Monday, extending its rally and lifting the Dow Jones industrials to their highest level in a month following President-elect Barack Obama's promise to increase infrastructure spending to lift the economy."

I read another article that said the upswing was due to the fact that the Big 3 bailout looks like it will happen.

Is it just me or does the media just look for a reason after the fact?

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance guys, explain this to me! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:39
I would not disagree with you there.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance guys, explain this to me! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:45
refurb wrote:
Every time the market goes up or down, the media seem to love to assign some reason for it.

Take the upswing today:

"NEW YORK – The stock market showed renewed confidence Monday, extending its rally and lifting the Dow Jones industrials to their highest level in a month following President-elect Barack Obama's promise to increase infrastructure spending to lift the economy."

I read another article that said the upswing was due to the fact that the Big 3 bailout looks like it will happen.

Is it just me or does the media just look for a reason after the fact?

RF

Exactly my thoughts (kudos for bringing this up 8-)). I figure a good number of these articles are probably written by "generalist journalists" who're not very macroeconomics savvy..

My GMAT debrief

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance guys, explain this to me! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:06
It is more that the typical reader and writer would like to assign reasoning behind a stock market move. The sentiment driving the market is somewhat more complicated and aligned to many things, but they prefer to give a form of explanation.

This probably comes from the fact that so many people have an interest in where the market is, probably in a passive manner, and due to their 401k. Saying the market moved up today without a conjecture as to why would leave the average investor highly nervous as to why this happened (especially now, at heightened observation as it has been seen to go down a lot and people are sensitive - historically ups did not need explained as much).

The familiarity with the gross over-simplification of what drives finance will be very apparent to anyone who has done a relatively quantitative job of any sort when asked to explain what they do. You make something up completely simple to stop them asking more questions.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance guys, explain this to me! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 04:57
This type of news article are among many examples of "idiotic markets reporting" that is quite widespread. Every time there is a market move you hear a reason associated with it. "US stocks fall on weak housing data" - "Gold falls on demand concerns" - "Oil slides on weak economic news" - "Dollar weaker on softer gold" ... what the hell ? The journo usually has no idea about the real reasons.

3underscore hits the nail on head with his explanation as to WHY this type of reporting is widespread.
Re: Finance guys, explain this to me!   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2008, 04:57