Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finance in Entertainment and Media

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 20:04
Does anyone have any thoughts about career paths for someone with an interest in a finance related function with a focus in the entertainment and media industry? I'm looking to get into a role that would allow me to get exposure to the innerworkings of the industry, but from a finance point of view. From what I can tell it seems like someone who is interested in combining a finance and entertainment focus would end up in corporate finance at a large media conglomerate (i.e. Time Warner) or focus on this industry at an asset management firm or bank. Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 18:01
I have a few friends who went into media and a few more still looking. Its a very hard industry to get into. They tend to place little value on the MBA, so finding a job that is going to pay the same 100k+ salary as other jobs is really tough. They also tend to look for people with a background in it.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 18:44
riverripper wrote:
I have a few friends who went into media and a few more still looking. Its a very hard industry to get into. They tend to place little value on the MBA, so finding a job that is going to pay the same 100k+ salary as other jobs is really tough. They also tend to look for people with a background in it.


riveripper just curious what type of job functions were your friends seeking within media? That sucks to hear they place little value on the MBA.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Finance for a Media company is the same as Finance for any major corporate, except for the media company having to play around with magic metrics to make their business look stable.

Oh, and more people in the office have asymmetric haircuts.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 15:28
3underscore wrote:
Finance for a Media company is the same as Finance for any major corporate, except for the media company having to play around with magic metrics to make their business look stable.

Oh, and more people in the office have asymmetric haircuts.



And paisley ties.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 231
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 08:37
sternwannabe wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I have a few friends who went into media and a few more still looking. Its a very hard industry to get into. They tend to place little value on the MBA, so finding a job that is going to pay the same 100k+ salary as other jobs is really tough. They also tend to look for people with a background in it.


riveripper just curious what type of job functions were your friends seeking within media? That sucks to hear they place little value on the MBA.


I am definitely interested in this question as well.
_________________

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 08:42
I worked in entertainment for a while, some people have JDs, some have MBAs, either way getting in to these job is tough.
Part of the reason is that its such a specific field many times the only people who are good at it have been around for a while and worked there way up.
Some of the biggest names in entertainment started as mail room guys in talent agencies.
Of course there are room for MBAs, but it would be at larger places.
My friend is in finance at Sony, he went there after a couple years at Blackrock and no MBA.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 256
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 18:17
Pretty much all the people I know post-MBA who got jobs in Media & Entertainment went into marketing. And yes the MBA isn't really valued or even necessary. For finance most places have an advisory/strategy group. For this group though they want IB and/or consulting experience which is a bit limiting if you don't have that. I'm sure there are other groups that do more like corporate finance too.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 43
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 14:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
most corporate finance/FP&A jobs in M&E don't require you to come out of a top tier MBA program. however, there are strat groups that only recruit out of H/S, but like the post above states, you need to have IB/PE/consulting experience pre/post MBA.

also, pay for FP&A in M&E is paltry compared to the industry. you're going to make about 20% less than your peers, so be prepared for it. people come to M&E because they're passionate about the industry, culture, and product.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 15:11
kudos. Nice reply.

kb798 wrote:
most corporate finance/FP&A jobs in M&E don't require you to come out of a top tier MBA program. however, there are strat groups that only recruit out of H/S, but like the post above states, you need to have IB/PE/consulting experience pre/post MBA.

also, pay for FP&A in M&E is paltry compared to the industry. you're going to make about 20% less than your peers, so be prepared for it. people come to M&E because they're passionate about the industry, culture, and product.
Re: Finance in Entertainment and Media   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 15:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
best media and entertainment consulting firms cuzimcoollikethat 0 26 May 2010, 20:05
18 Media and Entertainment Careers kryzak 38 25 Apr 2010, 12:19
MBA in Media & Entertainment Mbadream4ever 3 16 Aug 2009, 13:53
Experts publish their posts in the topic Media and entertainment conference alank19 4 14 Feb 2008, 18:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Finance in Entertainment and Media

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.