Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finance Lawyer (7 yrs workex)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Finance Lawyer (7 yrs workex) [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
I am an Indian male corporate lawyer working as a senior associate at one of the most prestigious law firms in India. I have work experience of around 7 years. I work mostly on:
1. Financing Transactions: Advising international/Indian banks/financial institutions on domestic/international project financing and acquisition financing transactions; and
2. M&A and Private Equity Transactions: Advising international and domestic funds/corporates on their investments/acquisitions in India.
I graduated from a top 3 lawschool in India with average/below average marks. My rank would be around 50 in a class of 80. I am cognizant of my low marks and would attribute it to lack of motivation and interest in law subjects. My interest has always been finance and business and this is evidenced by my relative success as a finance and M&A lawyer.
I have given the GMAT once (last year) and got a score of 680. My average GMAT prep test scores were in the range of 730 and I had a bad test day - thus I plan to appear for the GMAT again with a target of a 700+ score.
I am targeting the following B-Schools:
1. NYU - Stern/Columbia (Stretch)
2. Cornell - Johnson
3. CMU - Tepper
4. UVA - Darden
5. Georgetown
My careers goal would be to work in an International/US bank in their fixed income/syndicated loans group. My work experience (albeit as a lawyer) would, I assume provide me with a basic grounding for such a role.
I believe I should be able to secure good recommendations from my direct supervisors (Partner at my law firm) and clients. I am already quite stretched managing typical law firm long hours and working weekends with preparation for the GMAT/writing my applications and thus it would not be possible for me to do any part time courses.
I would be grateful for any suggestions on my target schools. I am only looking at US schools on the East Coast.
My weak point are my grades and any advice on the strategy for tackling or explaining my average/below average undergraduate grades would also be very useful. Would it make sense to take the lead and explain it for my stretch schools and keep silent about it for the other schools?
Any other advice in relation to my apps would also be very helpful.
Thanks,
Ashwin

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Finance Lawyer (7 yrs workex) [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 12:28
Expert's post
Hello,

First, especially for the more competitive programs, do your utmost in a retake of the GMAT. A score in the 730 range will help a lot.

I think you should acknowledge the low grades in a brief, straightforward optional essay. No one would question your professional success – but the adcom is also looking for evidence that you will succeed in the classroom. So if you had some good grades in courses of interest, in the optional essay explain that although you were young/immature and didn’t apply your efforts broadly, when you did, you excelled.

Your list is excellent, and appropriate. I believe that that overall your profile would be of interest – these programs get many Indian applicants, many finance applicanst, and some law applicants, but not too many who combine all three – you would clearly bring a valuable perspective. Another East Coast school to consider is Fuqua (Duke), possibly also MIT – you'd need to check Duke’s recruiting in your area, but I know MIT does decently in that regard. (I’d consider MIT a reasonable reach and Duke closer to on par.)

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog