Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finance Major Looking at MAccs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 9

Finance Major Looking at MAccs [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I'm a finance guy that took some accounting and was wondering what are some good MAccs I can qualify for given that i have 16 quarter hours in accounting (most schools say that 1 Q hour = 0.7 semester hours, so I have about 11.2 semester hours in accounting) and, although I have taken intermediate cost and financial accounting, I don't have the other 2 in my school's series so I'm ineligible at places like Michigan that require that whole series to be taken. At this point, I am looking to target the big names (so far, I've found UNC, USC that take people like me) and while I still need a few more larger state schools that I can apply to, I'm also trying to find more schools that place into areas of the country I'd want to work in eventually. Although I'm still undecided a bit in this regards, I do know that my top cities are Boston, Los Angeles (maybe San Diego as well), Bay Area/Chicago, NYC and then the southeast/DC (in order of preference).

If anyone can help me find good programs in these areas, I'd really appreciate it. My list so far is UNC, USC (top choices), Boston College, maybe San Jose and San Diego State, but I need more options, particularly in the chicago area and nyc. I looked in to Indiana for Chicago, but it doesn't seem like they take people with my background.

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Finance Major Looking at MAccs [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
If you are planning on getting a Macc to start in public accounting and potentially make a career out of it then pick a school that is in state. It makes absolutely no sense to drop 50k on a 1 year masters of accountancy program and then to start in public accounting. career advancement in this profession is largely based on experience, not school reputation. further a CPA is transferable between states, and big 4 and mid-tier acct firms are all over the nation so getting a job in a desired city after earning your degree is not as difficult as it seems.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Finance Major Looking at MAccs [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 06:54
acct12 wrote:
If you are planning on getting a Macc to start in public accounting and potentially make a career out of it then pick a school that is in state. It makes absolutely no sense to drop 50k on a 1 year masters of accountancy program and then to start in public accounting. career advancement in this profession is largely based on experience, not school reputation. further a CPA is transferable between states, and big 4 and mid-tier acct firms are all over the nation so getting a job in a desired city after earning your degree is not as difficult as it seems.

Well, for me personally, I also want to move out of here and go to a bigger city so that I can look into other jobs that would be hard to network for without actually being there, and I really want a change in my life becaue I've lives in this state all my life. I have enough saved to go wherever, so I want to go somewhere fun that will also plaece well into the Big 4

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Re: Finance Major Looking at MAccs   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2012, 06:54