Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial Engineering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Financial Engineering [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2006, 16:20
Hi Hjort,

I am going to graduate this semster with BBA in Finance and I am interested in getting into Financial Engineering. But before I apply I need to take some Calculus and programming classes which are pre requisites for many schools. And also I need to take the GMAT.
Right now I have a job offer as Business Analyst for Healthcare but they expect me to work for them for atleast 2-3 years. Is this work experience going to help me later on after Financial Engineering? I want to work as Derivatives Analyst or something related after FE. Or am I just going to get paid as a graduate with no experience (since I wont have work experience in Invest. Banking)?
Please Advice.
Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2006, 18:34
So, your concern is that when you graduate with a Masters in Financial Engineering you will be low balled on your starting salary because your work experience prior to entering the Masters program was not directly related to Financial Engineering...

Well, heres the deal, most people who graduate from a Masters Program in Financial Engineering don't even work in finance, let alone have work experience working with derivative products. Here are the prior employment stats for the most recent entering class at UCB (one of the top 3 programs in the world)

Engineering: 14%
Marketing/Sales: 2%
Information Systems: 10%
General Management: 2%
Finance: 20%
Research & Development: 17%
Project Management: 0%
Consulting/Management Services: 8%
Planning: 2%
Education: 10%
Other: 15%

As you can see, 80% of the class did not work in finance.

Theres a reason that most people who do not have a Masters in Financial engineering have absoluty no experience with derivatives. The reason is that, derivative products are VERY risky, and VERY complicated. For these two reasons no company will let anyone other than someone with extensive specialized education even approach derivatives.

So, your experience as an analyst will not necessarily place you at a disadvantage. The skills needed for Financial Engineering are quantitative, prove that you are going to be the one to come up with the next big formulae and you will suceede.
  [#permalink] 01 Sep 2006, 18:34