Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial Engineering/Computational finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Financial Engineering/Computational finance [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 07:32
I got 580 in GMAT. I have 2 years of work experience from a Fortune 10 company as Financial analyst (Finance major). I want to gear up my career by getting a masters degree. I am sure MBA may not be a good choice now, considering the fact I have only 2 yrs of work experience, no community service and any leadership experience, even if I retake GMAT and score really well.

As an alternate, I am considering MS Finance/ certification program in computational Finance for career progression and plan to apply for MBA after 3 or 4 years. I think I need to have one strong skill set in one area and later gain management skills by pursuing MBA.

I need your advise. Any inputs, insights, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
nm
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Engineering/Computational finance [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 13:12
Expert's post
magapu wrote:
I got 580 in GMAT. I have 2 years of work experience from a Fortune 10 company as Financial analyst (Finance major). I want to gear up my career by getting a masters degree. I am sure MBA may not be a good choice now, considering the fact I have only 2 yrs of work experience, no community service and any leadership experience, even if I retake GMAT and score really well.

As an alternate, I am considering MS Finance/ certification program in computational Finance for career progression and plan to apply for MBA after 3 or 4 years. I think I need to have one strong skill set in one area and later gain management skills by pursuing MBA.

I need your advise. Any inputs, insights, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
nm

THis sounds like a reasonable plan. Keep in mind the following:

1) You still need to improve your GMAT.
2) If you earn a masters in computational finance, you will also need to show when you apply for your MBA why you need both degrees to achieve your professional goals. This should be too difficult, but be aware that you will need to do it.
3) Use this time to get involved in community service and take on leadership roles.
4) Don't wait too long to go for the MBA.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Financial Engineering/Computational finance [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 14:29
Thanks Linda for your reply. I appreciate it!

I am leaning more towards doing a Certification program in Computational Finance offered by CMU. This should help me
a) focus on core courses
b) avoid any explanation for two Masters degrees
c) spend les time with MS Finance program, which in turn would help me pursue MBA faster
d) work full time and take on leadership roles in the work and outside (community) as well.

I would like to know

1) the marketability for a certification program.
2) how long is too long for MBA. Do you think I should pursue MBA directly in 2006, by retaking GMAT, adding leadership and community exp within this 1.5 yrs.

Please advise. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Engineering/Computational finance [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2004, 13:51
Expert's post
magapu wrote:
Thanks Linda for your reply. I appreciate it!

I am leaning more towards doing a Certification program in Computational Finance offered by CMU. This should help me
a) focus on core courses
b) avoid any explanation for two Masters degrees
c) spend les time with MS Finance program, which in turn would help me pursue MBA faster
d) work full time and take on leadership roles in the work and outside (community) as well.

I would like to know

1) the marketability for a certification program.
2) how long is too long for MBA. Do you think I should pursue MBA directly in 2006, by retaking GMAT, adding leadership and community exp within this 1.5 yrs.

Please advise. Your help is greatly appreciated!

The certificate program sounds good. The answer your questions:

1) I'm not sure of its marketabillity in the job market. Ask the school about that. In terms of admissions, if you earn A's it will show you that you can perform in an demanding academic environment and should help you improve your quant score.

2) Usually you want to apply with roughly four years of experience. You mentioned in a previous post that you already have two. Assuming that you have leadership experience, than you could apply next year or the year after.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog