Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 01:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (01:48) correct 59% (00:49) wrong based on 122 sessions
Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts design a report summarizing profit and loss data for the last five years.

(A) demanding that analysts design a report summarizing
(B) demanding analysts to design a report summarizing
(C) demanding designed reports of analysts summarizing
(D) to demand that analysts design a report to summarize
(E) to demand that analysts should design a report to summarize

Do you know..? What is the correct answer?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hint: verbs such as " demand" takes only the command subjunctive i.e that + bare form of the verb , with such verbs we cannot use infinitive form " to "

Edit: Topic moved
Underlined
Added OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 614

Kudos [?]: 2415 [4] , given: 738

Re: General GMAT Questions [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nehasingh1020 wrote:
Do you know..? What is the correct answer?

Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts design a report summarizing profit and loss data for the last five years.

(A) demanding that analysts design a report summarizing
(B) demanding analysts to design a report summarizing
(C) demanding designed reports of analysts summarizing
(D) to demand that analysts design a report to summarize
(E) to demand that analysts should design a report to summarize

Hint: verbs such as " demand" takes only the command subjunctive i.e that + bare form of the verb , with such verbs we cannot use infinitive form " to "

Edit: Topic moved

Demand requires a command subjuntive and that construction is
X demand that Y (root verb)
SO in this case, if we analyze the answer choices
A: the command subjunctive is correct: Report summarizing is also correct.
B: distorts meaning. They dont demand analysts. They want them to report stuffs.
C: distorts meaning. desinged reports of analyst summarizing is a COMMON AWKWARDNESS tested on the GMAT. It also misses the modifiers at correct places.
D: report to summarize means that the purpose of the report is to summarize. That is incorrect. The contents of the report is the summary. I will post a nice OG question to validate this.
E: should does not work in the "to verb" construction.
Hope this helps.

Q133 Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

Concept tested: SV agreement, Meaning.
Difficulty level: High
Illustration: This question tests a very important aspect of meaning. First, we know that the main verb in the underlined portion “protect” is wrong as the main subject “compliance is singular. (Note that protect is not being used as a command subjunctive in A. “be” is used as the command subjunctive).
According to this logic, A and C are wrong.
Now among B, D and E, “to require” indicates purpose of the law which is not the intended meaning (please refer to the tip below). So, D and E are incorrect. B is the correct answer.

Tip: “Laws to require” indicates purpose of the law, but “laws requiring indicates contents of the law. While this might sound very obvious to natives, but non natives might have to struggle to get this clearly. Consider the following examples. 1. Arms act is passed to discourage random public shootings. Correct 2. Arms act is passed to levy heavy fines on people who carry unlicensed firearm. Wrong. 2 is wrong because the arms act is not issued to levy fines. It is issued to prevent something by levying fines. So the correct option is B.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 17:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Financial institutions have begun demanding that analysts   [#permalink] 11 May 2014, 17:02