Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

Financial Times is a UK publication, so you'd expect LBS to get some love. In its latest rankings, LBS is ranked #1 globally, with schools like INSEAD, IE, and HKUST also coming in the top 10.

As far as its US schools, here are their rankings (after removing the international ones)

US top 15 rankings

1. Wharton
2. HBS
3. Stanford
4. CBS
5. Sloan
6. Booth
7. Stern
8. Tuck
9. YSOM
10. Fuqua
11. Kellogg
12. Ross (tie)
12. Haas (tie)
14. Darden
15. Anderson

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 00:44
This is really tough to digest!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 02:46
Among the US schools the one big outlier seems to be Kellogg - other wise the so called M7 seem to make up the top 6. I'm quite surprised to see us(LBS) retain the #1 ranking - I'd have thought that the financial crisis would have driven down employment / salary data. Not complaining though :) But you have to admit that FT always has some surprises (e.g. ISB moving up to 12, HKUST to 9 and IE to 6)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 10:33
If you sort them by Recommended, which reflects where people would most like to hire MBAs, the list becomes a lot more understandable and .

1. HBS
2. Wharton
3. Stanford
4. Kellogg
5. LBS
6. INSEAD
7. Booth
8. Columbia
9. MIT Sloan
10. NYU
11. Tuck
12. Berkeley
13. Michigan
14. Duke
15. IMD
16. Darden
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 11:12
They don't actually use live currency data, BSD_Lover. It is some relative standard of living adjustment, which is how they force ISB so high (you will not get a $100k salary in dollars from ISB).

Don't the FT (Pearson Group) have a pretty big stake in LSB? I think they do in ISB also.

The salary quotient also has a bit of a lag in it - I expect things will move strangely in 2012 as a consequence.

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

B-school rankings 2010 - Financial Times [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 16:51
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

CBS slipped 1 notch again.
Booth barely remained top 10.
Hong Kong took over CEIBS's position.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC (R1), NCSU (R2), Duke (R2)
WE 1: IT systems management
WE 2: telecom

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 17:22
What concerns me is the employment column for US schools. Even top rated Wharton grads face only 85% employment 3 months out of the school. A bunch of top 10-20 schools have employment rate in 70s which means that at least quarter if not third of the people doesn't have a job after being effectively unemployed for 2+ years and saddled with humongous student loans. This really doesn't inspire confidence.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 20:12
andromeda in general job market is better now than it was 12 months ago. Actually most of my close friends are already settled and some people received more than one offer. I see though a movement of international going back to their original countries or moving abroad to Latam, HK, Singapore, Seoul, etc. Actually strikes me the fact that Dabots and 2 other people from booth are going to Seoul to work for a giant South Korean corporation and neither of them is Korean.

I believe that one and 2 years from now, job market will be much better than now.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 22:01
Times are tough right now... Wharton grads face only 85% employment 3 months out of the school. Hope things will look better in a year or two.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 945 [0], given: 235

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 22:34
Yes biggest concern is to get employed and repay the student loans.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 02:27
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Yes biggest concern is to get employed and repay the student loans.

My biggest concern right now - believing FT!
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 05:29
andromeda - I would agree with kwam, 2009 was an evil year. As one who was a day away from being in the three month unemployed at a school, yet had a job from my summer internship (at one of the biggest companies in the world, that then revoked in the Spring) - a lot of unusual things happened that hadn't since 2001.

Then there is why people are unemployed - I know people who still are, who enjoy some form of luxury that they are waiting out for the job they always wanted. Some are looking in to other things. It might turn out that the 2009 class got themselves into really interesting things as a result of the abnormal way things went.

I would fully expect in a few years time that most the people who want jobs will get them before graduation. There will always be some that don't, and there will be reasons (even Wharton can have some people that it is difficult to recruit).

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Financial Times Rankings Actually Matter? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 19:12
I am a complete neophyte for mba programs (except the M7 concept). Do the Financial Time Rankings actually matter or is US News the only one that does?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 20:24
in my opinion, you shouldn't put too much stock in any of the rankings. they all have their flaws; at most, you should look at the data that's given in these rankings. some other important data points to look at are: % of graduates entering field/industry you desire, as well as specific recruiters that come on campus. you can probably find this info on the schools' websites

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Schools: [color=red][CBS Class of 2013]
WE 1: 2 years investment banking (middle-market)
WE 2: 3.5 years transaction modeling / consulting (big 4)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:22
FT is on drugs. there is not way that the Indian school of Business / HEC/ even LBS is ranked above Kellogg....#22? they have got to be kidding. I want to see how many people turn down an offer from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth or Kellogg to go to LBS instead, all else equal. I really want to see the rationale behind this eenie meenie miney moe ranking methodology they seem to be using
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 11:39
quantconcerns wrote:
FT is on drugs. there is not way that the Indian school of Business / HEC/ even LBS is ranked above Kellogg....#22? they have got to be kidding. I want to see how many people turn down an offer from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth or Kellogg to go to LBS instead, all else equal. I really want to see the rationale behind this eenie meenie miney moe ranking methodology they seem to be using

I totally agree!!! Doesn't make sense. I thought BW rankings are a lot more accurate (tho the 2010 rankings isn't out yet). Even the US news rankings appear a bit skewed but more in sync with BW. I have a very hard time agreeing with this FT rankings....

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 11:43
quantconcerns wrote:

.............and I am especially pissed that Indiana's Kelley is # 57. No way!!!!!!!! :twisted: lol And Washu's Olin #49.

Btw, can anyone here compare between Kelley and Olin? I got into both and hafta decide... still waiting for Booth, Kellogg and Fuqua

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Re: Financial Times Global MBA rankings 2010   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2010, 11:43