Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding 3 flaws for 3 body paragraphs, your strategy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Finding 3 flaws for 3 body paragraphs, your strategy? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 12:39
The difficulty with many AWA Arguments is finding THREE separate/specific FLAWS to attack to reach the CRUCIAL THREE body paragraphs.

My strategy for every AWA Argument is to immediately break the argument up into individual sentences, then select three sentences to attack, and then attack each sentence in the three body paragraphs. It's straight forward and quick enough to do, especially when the flaws are obvious....but I've run into trouble on this one:

(taken from page one of the Official GMAT AWA Q's list, 2010)
Quote:
“When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all employees.”

So, I break-up the sentences individually to choose which I want to attack...the above Argument has only three sentences, so I don't even have to think about it and just plugged them in to my template (via chineseburned). On closer examination though, I can't come up with three individual flaws to attack.

Long story short, I can pick any two of the three but run out of "ammo" for whichever i've left for last unless I repeat the same points I've covered already in one an two (which we can't do). So, what am I missing?

How would you get three body paragraphs out of this? Furthermore, is my strategy/approach all wrong? Please share your own strategies and tips for finding three flaws for three body paragraphs.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding 3 flaws for 3 body paragraphs, your strategy? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 13:09
Your strategy looks fine to me. What I do is I write down 2 assumptions that the author would have taken & then hit those assumptions. In the 3rd paragraph, I take the conclusion & hit it.

Now in this case:
1. First assumption: company was more profitable when it had a single location so this was the only reason of profitability. Hit it now on this assumption.

2. Second assumption: The cost of shutting down all field offices & retaining one is not big enough to offset the company revenues. Hit it again. Market loss, customer base etc.

3. Conclusion: Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision. Hit it now by raising questions how can author be so sure without providing any supporting evidence. What if the market situation or product base is not so strong in the centralized office etc etc.

Summary: Argument is flawed & blah blah

Making sense?????

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Finding 3 flaws for 3 body paragraphs, your strategy? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 14:03
I did what you did, too, almost:
For the first body paragraph I questioned the flawed assumption of the first sentence and attacked the correlation drawn between profitability and centralized location.

In body paragraph two, I attacked the second sentence and its flawed assumption: that centralizing necessarily equals saving money.

And then in the third body paragraph I attacked the third sentence, and this is where I get tied up because, usually, I attack the conclusion in the third body paragraph but if you notice here the second sentence is actually the conclusion; “Therefore, Apogee should...” If I ignore that fact and continue on after deciding the third sentence is more or less a continuation of the conclusion.... I still come up with only recycled arguments from both one and two. ...because it's using the same assumptions.

And actually, I see now one and two are also very similar. Still really twisted around on this one...
Re: Finding 3 flaws for 3 body paragraphs, your strategy?   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 14:03