Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding employment in the US with a non-US (Cdn) MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Finding employment in the US with a non-US (Cdn) MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 21:32
Hi there,

I'm just wondering how important it is to have a US MBA in order to find employment within the US afterwards? I'm from Canada and am really debating between US schools and Canadian schools at the moment, as I'm unsure as to where I'd prefer working afterwards. If I were to stay in Canada I would find work in Toronto, being the financial hub of the country. However, if I were to work in the US, I really don't know where I would work - which makes the selection process of US schools even more difficult since, from my understanding, schools outside of the Top 15 or so US schools are more regional.

For instance, given my profile I think my realistic chances at schools within the US would be Lower-tier Top 20-25 programs such as UNC-KF, Georgetown, USC, Tepper, and McCombs.

My questions:
1) How much mobility is there with this 'tier' of schools? (i.e. throughout the US)
2) Are schools within this tier of programs well-reputed internationally? How about when compared to top-tier Canadian schools such as Ivey, Rotman, Queen's?
3) If, let's say hypothetically, I attend McCombs however decide that I want to work in New York or Los Angeles or SF (i.e. non-Southwest). Am I much better off with a McCombs MBA versus a top Canadian MBA?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Finding employment in the US with a non-US (Cdn) MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 09:32
Expert's post
1) Your research is spot on. The lower tier schools are more regional in nature. If you were going to apply to these schools, make sure you like the industries/positions/locations that recruit at these schools. You can get a taste by browsing their employment statistics report. You can move to other parts of the country, but it is more difficult to find employment opportunities.
2) I think these schools are comparable to Canadian schools, which are also very regional in nature. People’s opinions differ, but out of the schools you’ve listed I feel that Anderson, Johnson, McCombs, Marshall, and Tepper are pretty much equal in national recognition. Stern is more of a national school, but with more emphasis on finance and in the NYC.
3) I think it will be easier to recruit for NYC and LA from McCombs if you are NOT a US citizen. Companies with offices in those areas may recruit on campus and sponsor non-US citizen for visa. From what I hear, companies only recruit at Canadian b-schools only for Canadian offices.

Diversity

Re: Finding employment in the US with a non-US (Cdn) MBA   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2012, 09:32