Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding light in a 590 (debrief)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [6] , given: 1

Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
This GMAT debrief is quite particular, especially given the score that is far below the 700 I had aimed for.

First, I would like to thank the forum and its members for their contribution to helping others achieve their goals in both the GMAT and application process to the schools of their dreams.

In January '09, I began my GMAT prep with hopes of achieving a 700+ score. I gave myself plenty of time to prepare as my work keeps me from anything but a regular study plan (often working in SE Asia and Canada - lots of travel). A small note, my profile is quite particular (WE non-traditional industry, manage/oversee a company of roughly 150 employees, lots of EC - community involvement, etc.). In June 2009, I took the test and scored a 570 (Q36, V35 - ac'ed AWA). Simulations I took prior to that test indicated that I would score in the mid-600s.

MGMAT (Q range 40-46, V 38-44)
1: 630
2: 640
3: 680
4: 690

Nerves got the best of me and I was utterly disappointed. I decided to retake the exam, sometime in August (today) prior to leaving to China / applications. I reviewed error logs, redid all MGMATs (high 600's - consistent performance in both Q and V), score well on GMAT Focus (40-48) and did several Challenges. GMAT Prep was also very encouraging with high 600s. (Q and V were both in the low 40's) . I finally was ready to beat the GMAT.(Note, I am a native English speaker and performed well during my undergrad in corporate finance).

Today, as I was under the impression of doing great, I scored 590 (V40, Q31). The irony, I walk away from this experience with something to share with the GMAT club.

My goal to apply to business school will not be deterred by this score. (Believe it or not, even to the schools on my target list). When I left the test center, I felt like I had done everything possible to prove to myself that I would succeed. I continue my application journey with a strong held belief: anyone can apply and make it to the school that they want. Countless stories of people I personally know at HBS, CBS and NYU gave me hope as their profiles suffered from similar shortcomings (bottom of the range outside 80%). Hopefully, I will be that exception.

Brief, believe in yourself, follow what is important to you and trust that regardless of the result, you will learn from this experience. The MBA will not secure your potential as a leader or business person but rather help you reach it.

I wish you all the best in your applications! I'll keep you posted.
(For any non-believers, I hope to become the exception so that other members who can't add their name to the list of 700+ still have hope of making it :-D ) I don't plan on retaking the GMAT - I'm moving on!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 13:00
triple5soul wrote:
This GMAT debrief is quite particular, especially given the score that is far below the 700 I had aimed for.

First, I would like to thank the forum and its members for their contribution to helping others achieve their goals in both the GMAT and application process to the schools of their dreams.

In January '09, I began my GMAT prep with hopes of achieving a 700+ score. I gave myself plenty of time to prepare as my work keeps me from anything but a regular study plan (often working in SE Asia and Canada - lots of travel). A small note, my profile is quite particular (WE non-traditional industry, manage/oversee a company of roughly 150 employees, lots of EC - community involvement, etc.). In June 2009, I took the test and scored a 570 (Q36, V35 - ac'ed AWA). Simulations I took prior to that test indicated that I would score in the mid-600s.

MGMAT (Q range 40-46, V 38-44)
1: 630
2: 640
3: 680
4: 690

Nerves got the best of me and I was utterly disappointed. I decided to retake the exam, sometime in August (today) prior to leaving to China / applications. I reviewed error logs, redid all MGMATs (high 600's - consistent performance in both Q and V), score well on GMAT Focus (40-48) and did several Challenges. GMAT Prep was also very encouraging with high 600s. (Q and V were both in the low 40's) . I finally was ready to beat the GMAT.(Note, I am a native English speaker and performed well during my undergrad in corporate finance).

Today, as I was under the impression of doing great, I scored 590 (V40, Q31). The irony, I walk away from this experience with something to share with the GMAT club.

My goal to apply to business school will not be deterred by this score. (Believe it or not, even to the schools on my target list). When I left the test center, I felt like I had done everything possible to prove to myself that I would succeed. I continue my application journey with a strong held belief: anyone can apply and make it to the school that they want. Countless stories of people I personally know at HBS, CBS and NYU gave me hope as their profiles suffered from similar shortcomings (bottom of the range outside 80%). Hopefully, I will be that exception.

Brief, believe in yourself, follow what is important to you and trust that regardless of the result, you will learn from this experience. The MBA will not secure your potential as a leader or business person but rather help you reach it.

I wish you all the best in your applications! I'll keep you posted.
(For any non-believers, I hope to become the exception so that other members who can't add their name to the list of 700+ still have hope of making it :-D ) I don't plan on retaking the GMAT - I'm moving on!

MGMAT tests are tough...I think you would score MUCH better if you retook it. Just my $.02.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 13:06
That's quite an encouraging post. I've been in the same position - working long, irregular hours which prevented regular study. After one month of intense study and a complete disregard for sleep, I hit the low 5's but had a 6 on AWA. I am planning to take the GMAT again soon and will aim for mid to high 6's. Nevertheless, it's uplifting to read you write about the MBA will not secure your potential as a business leader, but rather help you reach it. Thanks for the post!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 13:24
Somewhat of a bittersweet experience (the GMAT that is). I truly believe that a candidate who is extremely confident in his application and embodies this throughout his application has a good shot (regardless of a GMAT score).
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9400 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 23:15
Expert's post
I admire your attitude!

I don't want to torture you or change your mind, but your practice test scores, however suggest a stronger score.

Have you taken all GMATPreps? What about PowerPrep? That could boost your confidence quite a bit for a retake. I don't think you need to study for GMAT any more, but if you take a GMATprep or PowerPrep (without repeats) and get 650+, I would start working on your apps and your story and possibly retake the gmat in 31 days (without sinking time into it) just a thought.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 02:45
Thank you for your positive feedback. I remain undecided as to whether I want to retake the GMAT right before R1. I do believe that my two test scores are unrepresentative of my abilities.

If I do choose to retake the test, I wonder how I will have the time to study and continue my apps... (HBS is 80% complete, S and CBS remain - for R1).
I've exhausted most resources available to me: OG10, OG11, MGMAT SC/CR/RC/Number Prop./Word Translations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:31
triple5soul,

Your have a big heart. It takes a lot of guts to walk away from something like this. For that you have my admiration. Whether you decide to retake it or not, I will be rooting for you. For now +1 from me.

Good luck, and my best wishes!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 1

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you all for your positive comments and feedback, it means a lot. I do want to mention that I am confident in my story and do have a particular background/WE. As a result, I truly believe that I am a viable candidate. In the same light, applicants must believe in themselves and discard what I call "noise" - from forums, admission events, other applicants, etc. In my heart of hearts, I know that I should be amongst those that apply and are granted admission.

Small update: I'm considering re-taking LOL. I can't let the GMAT beat me when I scored well on practice tests.

If I choose to re-take, would anyone have suggestions as to what specific material I should cover (given my earlier post/debrief)?

Thanks a bunch.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 22:04
Expert's post
triple5soul wrote:
Thank you all for your positive comments and feedback, it means a lot. I do want to mention that I am confident in my story and do have a particular background/WE. As a result, I truly believe that I am a viable candidate. In the same light, applicants must believe in themselves and discard what I call "noise" - from forums, admission events, other applicants, etc. In my heart of hearts, I know that I should be amongst those that apply and are granted admission.

Small update: I'm considering re-taking LOL. I can't let the GMAT beat me when I scored well on practice tests.

If I choose to re-take, would anyone have suggestions as to what specific material I should cover (given my earlier post/debrief)?

Thanks a bunch.

There is something here that may help identify some materials/strategies/improvements. Let me know what you think (useful or not)
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 04:45
Thats a good decision.. Got for it and nail it down!!
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 92

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 05:22
You have a brave heart, and I admire that. Whatever your decision, I'll be rooting for you!

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 11:01
I know this thread is very old, but I definitely admire your encouraging post!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 12:21
well done!! good job!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 15:16
So how did it go?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 15:29
Expert's post
fallen wrote:
So how did it go?

This is a 2009 post (original poster) and I have not found a record of retake, so not sure which score he eventually got.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 00:05
Hi ,

My GMAT score is 590 :Q45,V27,IR 2,AWA 5.5

Work Experience: 3 years in Manufacturing sector MNC.(6 months of abroad experience in UK)
GPA:3.6 in Engineering from a well known university in India
Not much of extra curricular activities.. ! Could build on it in 6 months or so
Can I apply to Manchester Business School?

Will try retaking the GMAT though.
Re: Finding light in a 590 (debrief)   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2013, 00:05