Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Accounting, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja esledge

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

I have a problem in interpreting the argument. How can a non-subscriber have access to the magazine's advertisement?

Most of the merchandise orders placed "in response to advertisements in Systems" last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

Should I just assume that a non-subscriber has access to magazines advertisement

Please clarify my doubt.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mallya12 wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja esledge

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

I have a problem in interpreting the argument. How can a non-subscriber have access to the magazine's advertisement?

Most of the merchandise orders placed "in response to advertisements in Systems" last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

Should I just assume that a non-subscriber has access to magazines advertisement

Please clarify my doubt.

Yes, for this passage to make sense non-subscribers must have access to the advertisements in the magazine.

The first piece of the passage deals only with subscribers who placed orders. In that group, thirty percent of those who placed orders were under 35. So, the majority of subscribers who placed orders were over 35.

The second piece of the passage deals with a wider group -- anyone who placed an order after seeing the advertisements. This would include both subscribers and non-subscribers (who perhaps looked through the magazine at their dentist's office or hair salon). In this wider group, the majority who placed orders were under 35.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

For E option , i get conflicting answer:
Quote:
(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine

please suggest

Case1:
30: <35 age subscribers
70: > 35 age subscribers
Most of people below age of 35 gave orders
Assume
50: < 35 age non-subscribers

Total people below <35 = 100
Total below above >35= 70
100/170 – hold true argument
Option doesn’t hold true: because subscribers ( 100) and non-subscribers (50)

Case2:
Or (most people <35 who orders, but only 30 <35 subscribers)
1000: < 35 age non-subscribers

1030/1100-argument hold true
E option Statement hold true

Case 1 doesnt hold true for option E . hence how E can be MUST BE TRUE?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:

For E option , i get conflicting answer:
Quote:
(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine

please suggest

Case1:
Assume
50: < 35 age non-subscribers

Total people below <35 = 100
Total below above >35= 70
100/170 – hold true argument
Option doesn’t hold true: because subscribers ( 100) and non-subscribers (50)

Case2:
Or (most people <35 who orders, but only 30 <35 subscribers)
1000: < 35 age non-subscribers

1030/1100-argument hold true
E option Statement hold true

Case 1 doesnt hold true for option E . hence how E can be MUST BE TRUE?

The data you are assuming is not correct.

Say there are 100 subscribers who order for merchandise in response to Ad. Out of these 100,
30 were young people
70 were old people

Then there are some non subscribers who placed order for merchandise in response to Ad.

So total number of orders in response to Ad must be greater than 100. Say they are 150.

Advertisers finding - They got 150 orders in response to Ad. They find that most orders (>50%) were from young people. This means more than 75 orders are from young people. But only 30 young subscribers ordered. so who are the other 45? Non subscribers.

Another way to look at it is as a weighted average problem.

30% subscribers were young.
x% non subscribers were young.

More than 50% total were young.

Then x must be quite a bit greater than 50 to bring the avg to 50%.
VP
VP
Send PM
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
imSKR wrote:

Advertisers finding - They got 150 orders in response to Ad. They find that most orders (>50%) were from young people. This means more than 75 orders are from young people. But only 30 young subscribers ordered. so who are the other 45? Non subscribers.

Hi VeritasKarishma ,

In the example, 45 non-subscirbers are still less than 70 . Option E does n't say that many people below 35 age,placed more orders.
this is the confusion that 45 is still less than 100 ( 30+100). we have no idea about NON_SUBSCRIBERS (OVER_35 age)

what am i missing still? VeritasKarishma
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
imSKR wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
imSKR wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma ,

In the example, 45 non-subscirbers are still less than 70 . Option E does n't say that many people below 35 age,placed more orders.
this is the confusion that 45 is still less than 100 ( 30+100). we have no idea about NON_SUBSCRIBERS (OVER_35 age)

imSKR
i think you are missing a specific word in Option E mentioning "many" and not MOST. 45% is many :grin: if option E mentioned
"most " then i would not pick this option as a correct answer.

VP
VP
Send PM
dave13 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma ,

imSKR
i think you are missing a specific word in Option E mentioning "many" and not MOST. 45% is many :grin: if option E mentioned
"most " then i would not pick this option as a correct answer.

Can you please clarify?
Many can be anywhere more than 1 ?
Most needs to be over 50%?

My confusion is for option E: Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine
[/quote]

say total 150 orders

more than 50% of total <35 age means total 80 ( 50+% of 150)
it means non -subscribers <35 age = ( 80-30= 50)

Summary :-
total subscribers : 30+70 = 100
total non -subscribers = 80 ( lets say above 35 age non subscribers didn't order; all orders of non-subscribers were from
80 is less than 100

then 80 is many ? even 80 ( non-subscribers) is less than 100 ( subscribers)?

i am sorry , i am still confused.dave13

Hi AndrewN sir,
Can you help me to find out what silly mistake i am doing. :cry:
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
say total 150 orders

more than 50% of total <35 age means total 80 ( 50+% of 150)
it means non -subscribers <35 age = ( 80-30= 50)

Summary :-
total subscribers : 30+70 = 100
total non -subscribers = 80 ( lets say above 35 age non subscribers didn't order; all orders of non-subscribers were from
80 is less than 100

then 80 is many ? even 80 ( non-subscribers) is less than 100 ( subscribers)?

i am sorry , i am still confused.dave13

Hi AndrewN sir,
Can you help me to find out what silly mistake i am doing. :cry:

Hello, imSKR. I think you may be getting caught up too much in your numbers, at the expense of processing what the passage actually says. Look again. Since we already know the correct answer, I will omit the others. For ease of access, I will also use color coding.

Quote:
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

Subscriber orders: 30 percent of all merchandise orders came from those under 35; therefore, 70 percent of all merchandise orders came from those 35 or older.

Total orders: More than 50 percent of all merchandise orders came from those under 35; therefore, fewer than 50 percent of all merchandise orders came from those 35 or older.

To reconcile this apparent discrepancy, it must be true that some unnamed group, one that we can call non-subscribers, placed orders in response to the ads in question, and, furthermore, that these non-subscribers must have included many people who were under 35. Otherwise, we would expect the subscriber data to hold, for the majority of all merchandise orders to have been placed by people 35 or older. Choice (E) has just what we are looking for, a reasonable way to account for the uptick in merchandise orders from the under-35 group. We do not need to get caught up in a numbers game. That is one way to rationalize the information. We can also imagine pouring liquid from two separate glasses into one larger pitcher. If we knew only about one glass with, say, less liquid and the total amount of liquid that ended up in the pitcher, we would be able to deduce what must have been in the other glass.

I hope that helps.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
TehJay wrote:
I said (C). I don't understand how it can be (E) - you don't really have the information to determine how many non-subscribers placed orders, which is what (E) is talking about. For example, what if 100 subscribers placed orders, and 30 of them were under age 35, while only 5 non-subscribers placed orders, and 4 of them were under age 35? Then both findings are still correct, but (E) is false (unless we're going on some very arbitrary definition of "many").

No, you may have misinterpreted one of the two findings. The second finding says that most orders were placed by people under 35; that includes orders from both subscribers and non-subscribers. I think you are interpreting that finding to be about orders from non-subscribers only, but it's not. So in your hypothetical example, you have 105 orders in total, but still, only 34 orders come from people under the age of thirty-five. That isn't consistent with the second finding in the stem which tells us that most orders come from under-thirty-fives, so is not a possible scenario.

TehJay wrote:
(C) fits both findings the best. 70% of subscribers who placed orders were age 35 or over, a big majority. The only way to make (C) not true is if the number of non-subscribers who placed orders is larger than the number of subscribers who placed orders - and even then, you can't really determine whether or not the 30% of subscribers under 35 + the "most" of non-subscribers under 35 outnumber the 70% of subscribers + the remaining non-subscribers.

It's actually mathematically impossible for C to be true. Say you have S subscribers and N non-subscribers who placed orders. We know that 0.7S orders came from subscribers over thirty-five. Say you have X orders in total from non-subscribers over 35. We know from the second finding that less than half of all orders come from people over thirty-five, so:

(0.7S + X)/(N+S) < 1/2

But the proportion of all orders coming from subscribers over thirty-five is 0.7S/(N+S), and this is clearly less than the left side of the inequality above, so must be less than one half. So it's impossible for 'most' orders to have come from subscribers over thirty-five, and C cannot be true.

But 'E' may not be true always.
For example let us consider the following figures.
Total orders by subscribers = 100 ( 30 by <35 age ; 70 by >35 age group)
Total orders by non subscribers = 55 ( 50 by <35 age ; 5 by >35 age group) (since nothing was mentioned about the distribution of orders by non subscribers)
Hence total orders by <35 age group = 30+50 = 80
Total orders by >35 age group = 70+5 = 75

Please guide where I made a mistake in assuming the above figures.

Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Send PM
Sravan95 wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
TehJay wrote:
I said (C). I don't understand how it can be (E) - you don't really have the information to determine how many non-subscribers placed orders, which is what (E) is talking about. For example, what if 100 subscribers placed orders, and 30 of them were under age 35, while only 5 non-subscribers placed orders, and 4 of them were under age 35? Then both findings are still correct, but (E) is false (unless we're going on some very arbitrary definition of "many").

No, you may have misinterpreted one of the two findings. The second finding says that most orders were placed by people under 35; that includes orders from both subscribers and non-subscribers. I think you are interpreting that finding to be about orders from non-subscribers only, but it's not. So in your hypothetical example, you have 105 orders in total, but still, only 34 orders come from people under the age of thirty-five. That isn't consistent with the second finding in the stem which tells us that most orders come from under-thirty-fives, so is not a possible scenario.

TehJay wrote:
(C) fits both findings the best. 70% of subscribers who placed orders were age 35 or over, a big majority. The only way to make (C) not true is if the number of non-subscribers who placed orders is larger than the number of subscribers who placed orders - and even then, you can't really determine whether or not the 30% of subscribers under 35 + the "most" of non-subscribers under 35 outnumber the 70% of subscribers + the remaining non-subscribers.

It's actually mathematically impossible for C to be true. Say you have S subscribers and N non-subscribers who placed orders. We know that 0.7S orders came from subscribers over thirty-five. Say you have X orders in total from non-subscribers over 35. We know from the second finding that less than half of all orders come from people over thirty-five, so:

(0.7S + X)/(N+S) < 1/2

But the proportion of all orders coming from subscribers over thirty-five is 0.7S/(N+S), and this is clearly less than the left side of the inequality above, so must be less than one half. So it's impossible for 'most' orders to have come from subscribers over thirty-five, and C cannot be true.

But 'E' may not be true always.
For example let us consider the following figures.
Total orders by subscribers = 100 ( 30 by <35 age ; 70 by >35 age group)
Total orders by non subscribers = 55 ( 50 by <35 age ; 5 by >35 age group) (since nothing was mentioned about the distribution of orders by non subscribers)
Hence total orders by <35 age group = 30+50 = 80
Total orders by >35 age group = 70+5 = 75

Please guide where I made a mistake in assuming the above figures.

Thanks in advance

I pacified myself with the following understanding of "many".

“Many" could mean several, more than a few. “Most" means the majority of whatever you're referring to, such as “Most people are right-handed.” Most means more than half and many simply means some.

Now we can choose E as the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM