Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 15:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 16:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

47% (02:18) correct 52% (01:46) wrong based on 19 sessions
Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in reponse to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

a) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchanise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five,

b) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

c) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

d) Last year, the average dollar a mount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

e) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in reponse to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

I got this question from the GMATprep. Please explain why your answer choise is correct and why the rest of the answer choices are wrong. Thanks!

Last edited by tarek99 on 02 Oct 2008, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in reponse to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

a) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchanise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

b) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

c) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

d) Last year, the average dollar a mount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

e) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in reponse to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

I got this question from the GMATprep. Please explain why your answer choise is correct and why the rest of the answer choices are wrong. Thanks!

Answer is E.

Orders placed = subscriber + non subscriber
If say 100 subscribers placed order & 30 of them were below thirty five.
If nonsub, who placed order, were 1000 & out of them 900 were below thirty five.
Now the total orders placed = 1100 & out of them 930 are from people below thirty five.

This makes both the statement stand true.
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 155 [3] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E.

Stmt1: 30% order placed by Subscriber and less than 35 age people
Stmt2: Most of the order came from 'less than 35 age people'
Conclusion: Most is not all; however, if 500 people below 35 placed their order, only 150 people are subscriber and rest 350 people are NOT subscriber.
Hence, E is correct.

A: No info on present statistics
B: No info on present statistics
C: Opposite statement: Order actually placed by less than 35 age people mostly
D: Can't predict average $ amount
E: IMO

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
definitely E
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 99 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:

a) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchanise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now. -> there is no mention of comparison between today and yesterday

b) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now. -> same as above ELIMINATE
c) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five. -> not suyre no where we know the proportion of orders by subscribers

d) Last year, the average dollar a mount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over. -> OOS

e) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine. -> APT here since if this is true the above argument is correct i.e. we can say 30 % of subscribers orders wher by <35 age grp and also at the same time most of all the orders are by <35

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 02:41
wow, you guys are good. The OA is E. I honestly couldn't see it. What difficulty level would you guys rate this question? I really struggled with this question type and I would need to practice more. Where would you suggest that I find such questions to practice with?

regards,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 07:47
tarek99 wrote:
wow, you guys are good. The OA is E. I honestly couldn't see it. What difficulty level would you guys rate this question? I really struggled with this question type and I would need to practice more. Where would you suggest that I find such questions to practice with?

regards,

Try kaplan 800. Difficulty level is relative. If you figure it out then its easy & if you dont then its difficult. Neways I'd rate it average but good question. You're bound to see similar questions in actual GMAT.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 17:04
E for me 2
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 08:51
E because of above reasons
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 04:47
E, but took me two minutes!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 06:33
E. It's the only option that reconciles the two different surveys.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 14:47
+1 E

Easy, but its lenght makes it difficult.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 04:04
E but took 2+ minute to complete.

Sent from my Slapchop

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR: Systems magazine [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 05:00
E....

Kaustubh

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 20:29
E for me too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 04:21
+1 for E
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 04:48
I am not clear with this answer, can anyone Please elaborate more on this........

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 16

Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 07:21
thanks priyankur and spriya ...the expalnation was really useful

Aiming for 700+!
[highlight]"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”[/highlight]
― Paulo Coelho

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 09:24
+1 for E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 12:52
E

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Re: Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2012, 12:52