Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 11:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:04) correct 40% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Suppose I want to divide -11 by 5. What is the the remainder and quotient?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 12:26
Just like in multiplication, when one but not both numbers are negative, the answer will be negative. If both numbers are negative, the answer will be positive. In number theory, remainders are always positive. -11 divided by 5 equals -2 remainder 1.
Manager
Manager

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:09
handsomebrute wrote:
Just like in multiplication, when one but not both numbers are negative, the answer will be negative. If both numbers are negative, the answer will be positive. In number theory, remainders are always positive. -11 divided by 5 equals -2 remainder 1.

But according to the formula y=xq + r (q = quotient, r = remainder):

-11 = 5q + r

If q = -2 and r = 1 as you said, then:

-11 = 5(-2) + (1)
-11 = -10 + 1
-11 = -9

Did I miss a step somewhere?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:09
handsomebrute wrote:

I doubt this...

- 11 = 5 x (-2) + 1 ????

Guess remainder should be -1. It would then satisfy the equation above!

Cheers!
JT

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:25
jeeteshsingh wrote:
I doubt this...

- 11 = 5 x (-2) + 1 ????

Cheers!
JT

Can you have negative remainders? Never heard of such a thing before...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:33
mrblack wrote:
jeeteshsingh wrote:
I doubt this...

- 11 = 5 x (-2) + 1 ????

Cheers!
JT

Can you have negative remainders? Never heard of such a thing before...

No offence mate.. but I havent heard of anything as positive remainder :lol: (on a lighter note)

Usually we simply call them as remainders as long as I remember...

Cheers!
JT...........

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 217 [2] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
OK... finally I got some insight on this..

There is way of calculating the remainder when dealing with Negative Numbers....

Say you have a Number 'N' which is to be divided by 'd'. On division you get a quotient 'q' and remainder 'r'

Now if N is +ve, then
N = q*d + r
where q*d \leq N \leq (q+1)*d and r = N - q*d

e.g. 11 = 5*2 + 1

Now if N is negative, we have a change.... in this equation:
q*d \leq N \leq (q+1)*d... mutliply by -ve throughout and see the change as:
-(q+1)*d \leq -N \leq -(q)*d

Therefore remainder now would be:
r = (-N) - (-(q+1)*d) = (q+1)*d -N

e.g. Let N = -11, d = 5...
Hence -(3)*5 \leq -11 \leq -(2)*5
Therefore q = 2
Hence r = (2+1)*5-11 = 4

You can verify this as -11 = 5 * (-3) + 4
Therefore quotient = -3 and remainder = 4!
Hope it makes sence and is clear....

Cheers!
JT

Cheers!
JT...........

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:16
Reminder can be either positive or negative
Example:
If a and d are integers, with d non-zero, then a remainder is an integer r such that a = qd + r for some integer q, and with 0 ≤ |r| < |d|.
When defined this way, there are two possible remainders. For example, the division of −42 by −5 can be expressed as either
−42 = 9×(−5) + 3
as is usual for mathematicians, or
−42 = 8×(−5) + (−2).
So the remainder is then either 3 or −2.

the negative remainder is obtained from the positive one just by subtracting 5, which is d. This holds in general. When dividing by d, if the positive remainder is r1, and the negative one is r2, then
r1 = r2 + d.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
dmetla wrote:
Reminder can be either positive or negative
Example:
If a and d are integers, with d non-zero, then a remainder is an integer r such that a = qd + r for some integer q, and with 0 ≤ |r| < |d|.
When defined this way, there are two possible remainders. For example, the division of −42 by −5 can be expressed as either
−42 = 9×(−5) + 3
as is usual for mathematicians, or
−42 = 8×(−5) + (−2).
So the remainder is then either 3 or −2.

the negative remainder is obtained from the positive one just by subtracting 5, which is d. This holds in general. When dividing by d, if the positive remainder is r1, and the negative one is r2, then
r1 = r2 + d.

I think this is not correct because.....

in −42 = 8×(−5) + (−2)... you are dividing -42 with 8 and choosing -5 as quotient...but -5 x 8 gives -40 which is greater than -42 and hence is not as per the divisibility methodology....

If u have to divide 11 by 5, you would use 10 (5x2) and not 15 (5x3) as 10 is less 11..
Similarly, for -42 you should use -48 (i.e. 8x-6) as -48 is less than -42 but -40 is more than -42!

The eq −42 = 8×(−5) + (−2) is correct mathematically but fails to ascertain the quotient and remainder correctly...!

More over your first example (highlighted in red) is wrong.. as you are dividing -42 with -5 which means you dividing 42 with 5 and hence the situation of a negative number being divided is void!

Cheers!
JT...........

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28587 [2] , given: 2803

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Wiki definition of the remainder:
If a and d are natural numbers, with d non-zero, it can be proven that there exist unique integers q and r, such that a = qd + r and 0\leq{r} < d. The number q is called the quotient, while r is called the remainder.

GMAT Prep definition of the remainder:
If a and d are positive integers, there exists unique integers q and r, such that a = qd + r and 0\leq{r}<d. q is called a quotient and r is called a remainder.

Moreover many GMAT books say factor is a "positive divisor", d>0.

I've never seen GMAT question asking the ramainder when dividend (a) is negative, but if we'll cancel this restriction (dividend=a<0), and only this restriction, meaning that we'll leave the other one (0\leq{r}<d), then division of -11 by 5 will result:

0\leq{r}<d, a=qd + r --> 0\leq{r}<5, -11=(-3)*5+4. Hence remainder=r=4.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 18:51
Bunuel wrote:
If a and d are natural numbers, with d non-zero, it can be proven that there exist unique integers q and r, such that a = qd + r and 0\leq{r} < d. The number q is called the quotient, while r is called the remainder.

If a and d are positive integers, there exists unique integers q and r, such that a = qd + r and 0\leq{r}<d. q is called a quotient and r is called a remainder.

I've never seen GMAT question asking the ramainder when dividend (a) is negative, but if we'll cancel this restriction (dividend=a<0), and only this restriction, meaning that we'll leave the other one (0\leq{r}<d), then division of -11 by 5 will result:

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the lengthy response Bunuel. The wiki entry seems to imply that there could be a +ve or -ve remainder. Referring to my original question once more, it seems that -11/5 can be either:

-11 = (-3)*5 + 4
or
-11 = (-2)*5 + (-1)

I think either case is valid.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28587 [0], given: 2803

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 23:53
Expert's post
mrblack wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the lengthy response Bunuel. The wiki entry seems to imply that there could be a +ve or -ve remainder. Referring to my original question once more, it seems that -11/5 can be either:

-11 = (-3)*5 + 4
or
-11 = (-2)*5 + (-1)

I think either case is valid.

Wiki is not a best source for Math but even its definition: 0\leq{r} < d, so 0\leq{r}, remainder must be positive. But again I wouldn't worry about this issue for GMAT.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:35
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi, bunuel

how did you come up with -3, I mean why exactly -3 and not -2 or -17?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 02:32
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Finding the remainder when dividing negative numbers   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2014, 02:32