Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

finished - 780 (q51 v45)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

finished - 780 (q51 v45) [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:58
well... i had huge head start with an undergraduate math degree... so my only concern about the quant part was how not to make stupid mistakes. well... given the score i probably did one or two, toward the end of the test.

on the other hand - i am no native english speaker... so the verbal part was nightmare. especially sentence correction.
i work full time and i was on business trip two weeks before the test... so had only one week to really study.

i studied almost 16 hour a day. did 5 full tests and any prep questions i could think of.

few tips:
- for all you perfectionists - do questions again and again, until you get it right. i solved almost 500 verbal questions in 4 days, then took 100 of them, and did them again to see how much i improved.
surprise surprise... it helps a lot !!!!!!

- kaplan 800 prep was the best in explaining stuff.
- the official guide verbal (with over 300 very good questions) was best in questions (variety, difficulty, accuracy).
- kaplan CATs where nice to learn to pace myself. found 2 mitakes in the math sections. completely unreliable in terms of score.
- princeton review. quite useless. at least one error in math that i found (but i generally skipped 90% of math questions).
- official gmat prep CAT. very good, although i performed much better on test day.

will be happy to answer questions if you have some...

good luck to us all...

amit.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 20:42
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 01:25
Wow congrats!!!!!! Good job!!!!!

I'm a foreigner also and eglish isn't my native language and i'm strong in math but verbal part is the most difficult for me so i can imagine how difficult was that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 04:03
Damn!!!! 780 in one week :shock: Well Congratulations!!!!

Since you are not a native english speaker, how was your CR? Can you please offer some CR tips as I suck at those.

Thanks a lot and good luck for the apps. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: finished - 780 (q51 v45) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 04:42
excellent suff.
u were able to put in so much in last few days speaks volume about ur efforts.u made the best use of ur time.
for all non native speakers of english,please give some tips.

cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 04:53
the general problem i had with CR and RC was timing. it took me ages to read the questions... so the first challenge was to pace myself.
at the end i was olving CR at about 2 mins/question or slightly less, spent about 3 mins reading each RC passage, and balance this long times by solving SC quite fast (about 1-1.25min/q).

once i found the timing the rest was less difficult. critical reaoning is after all critical reasoning... it is all about logic, not something which is language specific.
i never used "cracking methods" found in the prep books. jut thought about the matter logically.
however, the one concept that did help me from prep books was the concept of "scope". identifying scope of questions/pasages helped me rule out options quite fast, saving some reading. usually, after reading, and identifying the correct scope i left with only 2 options.

having said all that - find your own ways... critically try the methods offered in books, but listen to your mind and intuition to find what work for you best. some of the methods suggested in books (especially in math) or totally crap, but some can be the seed for your own peronal cracking method...

good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 05:17
I agree with you, I am having issues with timing as well with CR and RC. And yes my main problem is with the scope, I can usually come down to two choices. I guess I need to read the OG explanations again. I sometimes miss some key words in the CR passage and I end up selecting the wrong answer :?

But thanks for the tips.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 19:52
Interesting how he got a 780 with 1 week of study but reported he got a 770 on july 9th.

Calling him out on this cause I'm tired of people lying.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 20:14
Who knows whether hobbit ever scored a 780 or 770 or a 520 for that matter. I just give more credence to people who are more than 'interns.'

Hey rhyme . . . how about a trophy for some of us more recent 700+ scorers?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 22:14
holy cow..780 with one full week of studying. thats pretty insane if its true.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 02:09
Uhmmm.... I hoped that his post in this section would be forgetten and that an end to this story would be given :)

To put an image on the situation, I think that this guy is already running completly nude in the middle of the streets of the big town of GMATClub, and all are looking at him....

And now, what we want more than this? :) I think the message to him is passed....

As well, I believe that the purpose of this forum is not to make exemple of not good people but rather to..... help each other :)
  [#permalink] 12 Dec 2006, 02:09