Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Finishing off my schools list for Fall '09 [#permalink]
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
You're not making this any easier :)

I guess I really need to visit the school at some point.

Haha, sorry about that! I'm not trying to convince you to apply ED; it seems like you have your heart set on some other schools, which makes you a great candidate for Columbia RD. I'm just trying to keep Columbia alive and well on your list!

And, yes, visiting the school will significantly impact your decision. You'll get to see the beautiful Columbia campus, speak with studemts, sit it on classes, meet admissions folks, and you'll see that the actual business school facilities are top notch. I visited 5 schools during my application process, and the only facility that I thought surpassed Columbia was Darden, but UVA's campus should be on a postcard! Otherwise, I think the facility is very condusive to learning and interacting. There's a lot of areas to study, the shape of the classrooms encourages discussion, and you can take a coffee or lunch break at anytime and catch up with fellow students.

Which were the other 5 that you visited?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
After a nice drive down PCH today, I just can't see myself committing to being a New Yorker :/ Does life really get any better than it is in SoCal?

I'm pretty sure this is close to final, but I may make last minute adjustments in the coming days. I've decided that I will also be absolutely fine if I don't matriculate in Fall of 2009. The economy is not looking pretty and I don't think the Class of 2011 will have anything to be ecstatic about in that regard - especially the finance guys.

October:
HBS R1
Wharton R1
Chicago GSB R1

November:
Tuck R2

December:
Columbia RD
UCLA Anderson R2

Terp,

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be applying to Columbia ED, but I understand that it is a difficult commitment not having visited the school. If I have not expressed enough of Columbia's amazing qualities, I apologize, but I don't want you to walk away thinking the school is all about finance placement and NYC. Some of the concerns that you mentioned were curriculum, alumni network, and a sense of community.

The core curriculum has just been revamped, and the school is really touting how it better prepares students for the hard and soft skills necessary for their summer internships. I think that it is keen awareness on the school's part to recognize the need for more preparation for internships, as opposed to just checking off core courses throughout the 1st year. Here is the website for the core curriculum: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/acade ... curriculum

The CBS alumni network is up there with HBS and Wharton networks as it spans the nation, globe, and some of the best companies around the world. I have already spoken with alumni, and they all have come across as willing to help me whenever I need. In fact, they start off the alumni/student interaction with the interview process; all interviews are conducted by alumni--even if you are in NYC. CBS wants alumni to approve of its incoming class because it affects them and vice-versa.

I have two prime examples of community at CBS. One is the CBS World Tour, and the other is the Peer Advisor Group. The CBS World Tour was organized by a 2010'er, and it was organized for every CBS student who wanted to take part. This one student organized an entire worldwide trip and got students, who he had never met, to sign up for this tour. Currently, they are in Buenos Aires. Furthermore, they set up appointments with alumni around the world to learn about their businesses abroad. That says a lot for community, as well as alumni network!

The Peer Advisors are a group of 2nd years who are there to help the transition for 1st year students. There are so many Peer Advisors, and they are all exceptionally responsive. We have a Yahoo group and a Facebook group, and there is a lot of interaction amongst 1st years, as well as questions for the Peer Advisors. As soon as a question is asked, you can guarantee that a Peer Advisor will quickly respond with helpful advice. Peer Advisors exemplify the supportive Columbia community; everyone wants to help the next person succeed.

I can assure you that what you are looking for can be found at Columbia, and I disagree with Kry that Chicago is better than CBS when it comes to finance. Both are top schools in that field, and neither one has proven that it will get you further than the other in the field of finance. The only thing CBS can guarantee is it will get you geographically closer to the Street.

Wow, Amazing. Kudos.

I don't know whether you have convinced Terp, but you have almost got me convinced. I have visited the University and have stayed with my friend there who is doing PhD ( not in business), but I have never formally visited Uris Hall ( because I was never sure whether to apply to a NYC school). NYC is more like Bombay, where I live so thats a plus point. But am not sure how is the life for a married man with a kid will be. More importantly, how the life of the wife and the kid will be!

I am desparately trying to search for an alumni in Mumbai to know more on these, but so far my search has been futile. I could not even locate an India Alumni club for Col GSB. Yeah partner's club is there but from my interaction with Partner's clubs of other school I learnt that they are not very reflective of the day-to-day scenario of an international student family ( one big point, spouse of an international student will not be going to work, so the situation changes a LOT).

Any help and info on those lines will be highly appreciated :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
That was nice school cheerleading there djhouse, we need more of you on the Columbia threads! 8-)

I will also add a disclaimer that my campus and class visit to Columbia involved meeting/greeting J-term students only. it's entirely possible the Fall class is a lot more tight-knit and enthusiastic, however the timing of the ED application does not allow for significant ("in person") interaction with the Fall class. That i think is a drawback, in that most of the ED applicants end up making their impressions about the student body and the overall community even before meeting their future peers.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the there's no significant difference in the student bodies comprising the J-term and Fall classes - and I must say honestly that worries me a little bit.
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
You're not making this any easier :)

I guess I really need to visit the school at some point.

Haha, sorry about that! I'm not trying to convince you to apply ED; it seems like you have your heart set on some other schools, which makes you a great candidate for Columbia RD. I'm just trying to keep Columbia alive and well on your list!

And, yes, visiting the school will significantly impact your decision. You'll get to see the beautiful Columbia campus, speak with studemts, sit it on classes, meet admissions folks, and you'll see that the actual business school facilities are top notch. I visited 5 schools during my application process, and the only facility that I thought surpassed Columbia was Darden, but UVA's campus should be on a postcard! Otherwise, I think the facility is very condusive to learning and interacting. There's a lot of areas to study, the shape of the classrooms encourages discussion, and you can take a coffee or lunch break at anytime and catch up with fellow students.

Which were the other 5 that you visited?

Actually, make that 6. Columbia, Stern, Darden, Ross, Fuqua, and Goizueta.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
That was nice school cheerleading there djhouse, we need more of you on the Columbia threads! 8-)

I will also add a disclaimer that my campus and class visit to Columbia involved meeting/greeting J-term students only. it's entirely possible the Fall class is a lot more tight-knit and enthusiastic, however the timing of the ED application does not allow for significant ("in person") interaction with the Fall class. That i think is a drawback, in that most of the ED applicants end up making their impressions about the student body and the overall community even before meeting their future peers.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the there's no significant difference in the student bodies comprising the J-term and Fall classes - and I must say honestly that worries me a little bit.

I agree, it is hard to visit before you submit your ED application. I actually visited afterwards, and my optional essay comprised of my plan to visit. I thought that was a nice touch for an optional essay! :)

Most ED applicants either wholeheartedly know they want to attend CBS without visiting, or they visited in the Spring when school year is still in swing (nice rhyme). The J-Term students I met could not be separated from the 2-year students, which makes me think they are of the same caliber as 2-year students. During the summer it is a different dynamic, so you might not get to enjoy the same electricity that exists during the school year. Needless to say, your decision to visit now is a wise one because you can discuss the positives of your visit in your ED applicaiton.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
Actually, make that 6. Columbia, Stern, Darden, Ross, Fuqua, and Goizueta.

I guess I've been spoiled. I've seen HBS, Chicago, and UCLA which are all world class facilities. Tuck and Kellogg were okay, but the schools each had their own charm for different reasons.
Current Student
Send PM
filmcity wrote:

Wow, Amazing. Kudos.

I don't know whether you have convinced Terp, but you have almost got me convinced. I have visited the University and have stayed with my friend there who is doing PhD ( not in business), but I have never formally visited Uris Hall ( because I was never sure whether to apply to a NYC school). NYC is more like Bombay, where I live so thats a plus point. But am not sure how is the life for a married man with a kid will be. More importantly, how the life of the wife and the kid will be!

I am desparately trying to search for an alumni in Mumbai to know more on these, but so far my search has been futile. I could not even locate an India Alumni club for Col GSB. Yeah partner's club is there but from my interaction with Partner's clubs of other school I learnt that they are not very reflective of the day-to-day scenario of an international student family ( one big point, spouse of an international student will not be going to work, so the situation changes a LOT).

Any help and info on those lines will be highly appreciated :-D

Film City,
Did you try the contact attached to this link? https://www6.gsb.columbia.edu/cfmx/web/a ... e.cfm?c=27

I know most the international families live in student housing or further afield where it is cheaper. I have not heard about the day-to-day life, but I know there plenty of families, both domestic and international. It might be better that your spouse is not working, so that you do not have to worry about babysitting services. However, if you do need a babysitter, I have heard of fellow classmates pitching in--talk about support for your fellow classmates!

I can send you the names of some students to email who are both part of the Hermes Society and have some relevance with respect to your needs; if they cannot help, they might be able to put you in touch with someone who can.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Okay the previous list is pretty close to final now. I have done a lot of research on Columbia, and I really like the school. However, I do not feel that my odds of acceptance will be significantly greater in ED than in the early RD round, and that was really the only reason I was considering ED. I am also prepared to get rejected everywhere this year, if it comes down to it (hopefully it won't).

October:
HBS R1
Wharton R1
Chicago GSB R1

November:
Tuck R2

December:
Columbia RD
UCLA Anderson R2
Current Student
Send PM
That is a great list! You put a lot of research into it, and that is exactly what the schools want. You are definitely on the right track!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
terp, what happened to Haas???? Me sad... :(

you can actually get Haas R1 in by early November, it's doable since Harvard, Chicago and Wharton are relatively early in October. (yeah, I'm not giving up on you. :P)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
terp, what happened to Haas???? Me sad... :(

you can actually get Haas R1 in by early November, it's doable since Harvard, Chicago and Wharton are relatively early in October. (yeah, I'm not giving up on you. :P)

I was waiting for you to ask that, heh. I'm not too sure. If I am making really good headway and feel that I have some extra time to put in one more app by end of October/early November, I may consider adding Haas or *gasp* Stanford to the mix. I need to do my homework and reach out to the Finance-oriented people at Haas.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
hey terp,

Haha, oh ok. Well, school starts in a month, so I'll try to get some finance people whom you can talk to. Sorry I'm not as familiar with that industry/field, otherwise I can do a much better job at convincing you (like djhouse did for CBS). :)

keep Haas on your radar :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
hey terp,

Haha, oh ok. Well, school starts in a month, so I'll try to get some finance people whom you can talk to. Sorry I'm not as familiar with that industry/field, otherwise I can do a much better job at convincing you (like djhouse did for CBS). :)

keep Haas on your radar :)

I am definitely going to keep it on my radar - I believe their banking network is pretty strong in San Francisco, and that is where I want to work after graduation. I would greatly appreciate any contacts or help you can provide when you get to school. I hope you have a great year there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
After a nice drive down PCH today, I just can't see myself committing to being a New Yorker :/ Does life really get any better than it is in SoCal?

I was at USC this last weekend to do some volunteer stuff and for a split second I reconsidered canning this whole reapp process and just attend USC. I have to say that the student body at USC is insane, especially in the summer time. :good :good I think the school runs a very close second to Pepperdine when it comes to top feminino talent.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I was at USC this last weekend to do some volunteer stuff and for a split second I reconsidered canning this whole reapp process and just attend USC. I have to say that the student body at USC is insane, especially in the summer time. :good :good I think the school runs a very close second to Pepperdine when it comes to top feminino talent.

I'm not a fan of USC's reputation, but I do have to agree with regarding the student body, heh. I think I've pretty much decided I'm ready to come back to California after graduation, but I hope that I can end up at a top East Coast school for a couple of years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I'm very familiar with both. Went to USC all four years and dated a Pepperdine sorority girl for 2! haha
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I'm very familiar with both. Went to USC all four years and dated a Pepperdine sorority girl for 2! haha

Undergrad in SoCal must be a complete blast.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2