Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

'Fired' from employment - required to disclose?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

'Fired' from employment - required to disclose? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 19:32
Hi,

I was 'let go' from my employment a few years ago - it wasn't for performance issues, but I wasn't "laid off" due to downsizing or economic reasons either. Let's just say that my work required me to pass certain levels of a professional accounting exam, and unfortunately I was unable to pass them successfully, which was the reason for my departure.

I don't want this to reflect poorly on my MBA application (it is not representative of my aptitude, skills or professional performance) - am I required to disclose to MBA adcoms the reason for my departure? i.e. do I need to tell them I was "fired", for what reason, etc. or can I just say that I felt the employment fit and career path wasn't right for me, so I decided to take another road?

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: 'Fired' from employment - required to disclose? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 11:20
This happens often. A lot of companies have licensing requirements and if you don't meet those requirements you get let go.

I wouldn't really consider this being "fired", though - like you said. I don't think I would disclose this right away, just list the employment period and if they ask you to go into further detail in an actual interview setting, then I would elaborate. You have the right idea. I would explain it just as you said- it's difficult to study and memorize a lot of material (and the licensing exams require a TON of memorization) that you're not passionate about.

Once you're in an interview setting, you can detail that not passing those exams wasn't so much reflective of your ability but more you learning that the field wasn't something that your heart was in it might be a little bit easier for the adcom to understand.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 'Fired' from employment - required to disclose? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 14:41
RyanCJW wrote:
This happens often. A lot of companies have licensing requirements and if you don't meet those requirements you get let go.

I wouldn't really consider this being "fired", though - like you said. I don't think I would disclose this right away, just list the employment period and if they ask you to go into further detail in an actual interview setting, then I would elaborate. You have the right idea. I would explain it just as you said- it's difficult to study and memorize a lot of material (and the licensing exams require a TON of memorization) that you're not passionate about.

Once you're in an interview setting, you can detail that not passing those exams wasn't so much reflective of your ability but more you learning that the field wasn't something that your heart was in it might be a little bit easier for the adcom to understand.

That's reassuring and makes sense! thanks for your thoughts I really appreciate it! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 1

Re: 'Fired' from employment - required to disclose? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 16:50
I'd be careful about this though. Most business school applications ask why you left each of your previous employers. HBS's dean actually demanded that all candidates fill this line completely and honestly, for summer employment verification reasons. I'm sure the other business schools have that line there for the same reason.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: 'Fired' from employment - required to disclose? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 09:38
I can't speak to this specific question, but I think one of the things that has been driven home to me as I hear from various adcoms is "don't try to run from your weaknesses". The adcoms have seen a million applications, they look in every nook and cranny, and if there's something that you're trying to cover up, they're going to find it. I think they look more favorably on candidates who know their own weaknesses (or the blemishes on their record) and can address them in a way that makes sense. What did you learn from this experience, how did it motivate you? Could be an important part of your story.
Re: 'Fired' from employment - required to disclose?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2012, 09:38