Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:02

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Firms adopting "profit-related-pay"(PRP) contratcs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Firms adopting "profit-related-pay"(PRP) contratcs [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (02:25) correct 18% (02:06) wrong based on 29 sessions
Firms adopting "profit-related-pay"(PRP) contratcs pay wages at levels that vary with the firm's profits. In the metal working industry last year, firms with PRP contracts in place showed productivity per worker on average 13 percent higher than that of their competitors who used more traditional contracts.

If, on the basis of the evidene above, it is argued that PRP contracts increase worker productivity, which of the following, if true, wud most seriously weaken the argument?

(A)Results similar to those cited for the metalworking industry have been found in other industries where PRP contracts are used.
(B)Under PRP contracts costs other than labor costs, such as plant, machinery,a nd energy, make up an increased proportion of the total cost of each unit of output.
(C)Because introducing PRP contracts greatly changes individual workers' relationships to the firm, negotiating the introduction of PRP contracts is complex and time consuming.
(D)Many firms in the metalworking industry have modernized production equipment in the last five years, and most of these introduced PRP contracts at the same time.
(E)In firms in the metalworking industry where PRP contracts are in place, the average take home pay is 15 % higher than it is in those firms where workers have more traditional contracts.

Last edited by blog on 25 Jan 2008, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 14:27
what's D?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
D, is it?

Weaken --> Conclusion : PRP contracts increase worker productivity

(A)Results similar to those cited for the metalworking industry have been found in other industries where PRP contracts are used. Crossed out: support the conclusion.
(B)Under PRP contracts costs other than labor costs, such as plant, machinery,a nd energy, make up an increased proportion of the total cost of each unit of output.Crossed out: out of scope
(C)Because introducing PRP contracts greatly changes individual workers' relationships to the firm, negotiating the introduction of PRP contracts is complex and time consuming.Crossed out: out of scope.
(D)Many firms in the metalworking industry have modernized production equipment in the last five years, and most of these introduced PRP contracts at the same time. Not the PRP contracts but the new equipment helps to increase worker productivity. - Weaken
(E)In firms in the metalworking industry where PRP contracts are in place, the average take home pay is 15 % higher than it is in those firms where workers have more traditional contracts.Crossed out: Say nothing about the productivity.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 23:14
(A)Results similar to those cited for the metalworking industry have been found in other industries where PRP contracts are used. (This choice strengthens the conclusion – Eliminate it)

(B)Under PRP contracts costs other than labor costs, such as plant, machinery, and energy, make up an increased proportion of the total cost of each unit of output. (Irrelevant to argument PRP vs. productivity – Hold it)

(C)Because introducing PRP contracts greatly changes individual workers' relationships to the firm, negotiating the introduction of PRP contracts is complex and time consuming. (PRP introduction is irrelevant – eliminate it)

(D)Many firms in the metalworking industry have modernized production equipment in the last five years, and most of these introduced PRP contracts at the same time. (PRP contract and increase productivity – weakens the argument – hold it)

(E)In firms in the metalworking industry where PRP contracts are in place, the average take home pay is 15 % higher than it is in those firms where workers have more traditional contracts.(Average pay out of argument scope –eliminate it)

Answer: D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 00:50
This post received
KUDOS
I agree it's D. Improved productivity might have resulted from the introduction of a new machinery.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 358

Kudos [?]: 1758 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
D

The Assumption: there are no other reason of higher productivity in PRP-group.

D. Other reason: modernization of production equipment in the last five years

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 06:21
I initially got this question wrong. And then, I revisited it a few days later when I wouldn't remember the answer or the choice I had made. And this time, although I did it without the timer, I got it right. Here is my analysis. Correction, my corrected analysis:

After reading the passage, it's fairly clear that the conclusion is present in the question and not the passage.
Conclusion: "PRP contracts increase worker productivity"

Now I asked myself, what could it be that weaken an argument that says PRP increases worker productivity.

After a bit of thinking, I realized there was a stark assumption being made.
Assumption: PRP is the only thing that increased worker productivity. Note that the question does not ask for this assumption. But it is essential to know it. This becomes especially clear when you read the choices. Let's review the answer choices:

A. Not even close. This strengthens the argument, if anything. Eliminate.
B. Well, this might seem tempting at first. But think about it, does any part of the conclusion refer to the increase in cost? No. Therefore, eliminate.
C. Now if you've eliminated the last one based on the idea that cost is not to be considered, then you're probably thinking if cost isn't a factor in the conclusion, why should complexity of negotiating the contract be one? So, eliminate.
D. Modernized equipment - This seems likely. Let's keep this for now.
E. Salaries of workers is somewhere close to costs and we're talking of productivity. This choice might confuse you since the passage itself revolves around "Profit-related-pay", but mind you, the conclusion has nothing to do with cost.

So, from our analysis, it seems like D was the only likely contender. Let's examine D closely.

There are two things about D. First, it targets the assumption I talked to you about earlier. Second, it says this equipment has been around 5 years and last saw better productivity. You might not even need to come to the second point, which could throw you off balance. The first point in D strikes the assumption that says "no other factor could be responsible". And therefore, I chose D.

Modernization could well have been the reason for increased productivity.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 01:10
D
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Firms adopting "profit-related-pay"(PRP) contratcs [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 06:31
Option B somewhat weakens it but its D which is 100% weakening it(Gives a reason why the companies have increased productivity, not because of PRP but rather because of modern equipment).

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR-FIRMS [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 00:27
walker wrote:
D

The Assumption: there are no other reason of higher productivity in PRP-group.

D. Other reason: modernization of production equipment in the last five years

I can see why D is right .. I myself got it down to D and E .. but whats the problem with E ?

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Re: CR-FIRMS   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 00:27