Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First applicant ever from my country

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 15:04
I guess you missed this........
OR not......if I am not being truthful...
Its fun to mess around with you guys.....thats the kind of break I need during this crazy GMAT preparation.

Anyways :)

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 19:18
I know a guy from East Timor who went to Columbia Business School in the 90's.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 21:30
fatb wrote:
"I immigrated from the north pole to the south pole to differentiate myself from all the other Eskimos." :-D

HA ha Ha Ha Ha :good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 17:59
Even if it were East Timor, I imagine it would still be difficult to prove since there could potentially be East Timorese students that were counted in the Indonesian statistics prior to independence in the 2000s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 09:17
:) interesting topic

I just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible to be the first student from your country to a certain school.

I also come from a small country (in Europe), last year when I applied to Tuck I asked the adcom if they had anyone from my country before (I asked if they had any alumni from my country) and they said no !! ... so if there were no alumni from my country that meant that nobody from my country has graduated from there, right?

But anyways ... it didn't help me much as I didn't get in Tuck :). I got the interview invite but I really blew the interview (was even 15 min late).

Also, my suggestion to the original poster is to ask the adcom if they have any alumni from his/her country and you will find out if you are going to be the first student. And if they actually have an alum from your country they can help you get in touch with that person, which is always a plus.

Cheers!

GO BLUE !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 10:45
the first post now says SOUTH AFRICA
um :?:
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 10:45
He might mean Southern Africa and not RSA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 19:12
accidently bumped into this thread....:-)

any idea about the country ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 22:17
I actually don't care about the country and will actually provide my opinion on the question. I think being the first ( or one of few) to apply to a program is a positive. I would not call it out specifically unless it ties into a larger more meaningful essay answer, but it seems people from under represented groups always have an advantage.

Becky

Edit: I just noticed the dates on the earlier posts. Oops.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 21:35
North Korea. OMG
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 21:37
Ooops. I thought Asia. But if you were from North Korea, you could have been right.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: First applicant ever from my country [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 03:18
Are you the Nigerian prince who gave away his wealth to everyone by a series of emails and was misunderstood as spammer ?
Re: First applicant ever from my country   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 03:18