Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: First attempt. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
manish verma,

Yes, I would recommend postponing your test. Your official score will most likely be around 500, and the odds are very low of making a huge jump in a week. You should be hitting close to your target score before sitting for the official exam.

best wishes,
Dabral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 560 Q40 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q45 V37
GMAT 4: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
Dear GMAT experts,

I recently took the GMAT,my first attempt and scored a 580(37 in Quant and 33 in Verbal).My target score is 650 and I definitely want to go for the second attempt.The advise that I am seeking is how to pave the way forward to improve my Quant.My initial prep spanned 3 months.The quant prep included study material from Jamboree and loads of practice from gmat club.However,with this score of 37 that I need to pull upto atleast 44/45,I need your expert advise with what study material could I use to further enhance my quant performance.I want to retake the test soon again so that there is not much gap but this time all my practice tests are exhausted. Please advise how I must go ahead with the retake preparation for Quant.
Regards,
Bhamini
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Bhamini,

A 650 is closer to a 580 than you probably realize (and you could potentially pick up all of those 'missing points' in the Quant section). With a Q37, you have a few different 'issues' though. First, you likely don't know all of the content areas really well (math rules, formulas, the 'step-by-step' math work that's required on most questions, etc.), so some extra practice in those areas is probably necessary. Second, you missed out on a lot of 'strategy-based' points, so you would likely benefit a great deal from focusing on Tactics (especially for DS questions). Third, you would have likely made a number of silly/little mistakes and you might have had a pacing problem on Test Day; both of those issues require you to work on your 'precision' (note-taking, organization, etc.).

All of that having been said, you could potentially retake in a month and hit your goal; however, 1-2 months of consistent, guided study will probably be needed.

1) How many hours can you study during a typical week?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bhamini1 wrote:
Dear GMAT experts,

I recently took the GMAT,my first attempt and scored a 580(37 in Quant and 33 in Verbal).My target score is 650 and I definitely want to go for the second attempt.The advise that I am seeking is how to pave the way forward to improve my Quant.My initial prep spanned 3 months.The quant prep included study material from Jamboree and loads of practice from gmat club.However,with this score of 37 that I need to pull upto atleast 44/45,I need your expert advise with what study material could I use to further enhance my quant performance.I want to retake the test soon again so that there is not much gap but this time all my practice tests are exhausted. Please advise how I must go ahead with the retake preparation for Quant.
Regards,
Bhamini

Hey Bhamini,

You might want to review your basics once. There are probably some gaps in concepts. If you know which ones you need to review, great. Else, run through everything once from a test prep material.
Here is a link to some of our resources for you to try out: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
The video lesson discusses how to handle SC questions, the book download is our DS book and you get a free practice test.

Also check out our blog for lots of useful Quant and Verbal discussions:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... mat-quant/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... at-verbal/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank You Rich for the encouraging first line in your response. :) I agree with each and every point that you have outlined as one of the plausible gaps.I would be happy if you could kindly elaborate on the "strategy based points" a little more. I definitely have a pacing problem,I skipped three qsns between qsn 21 and 26 during the exam marking as a guess to save time for the subsequent qsns from 27 to 37.

I was hoping if you could suggest good study material/links for filling the conceptual gaps on the following topics that I have trouble with:

PS Type Questions : Arithmetic (Must be True types),Word problems,Overlapping sets,Geometry
DS Type Questions: Inequalities & Absolute values,Word Problems,Percent & interest Word problems,Series and Sequences

With a 6 day working schedule at the hospital,I will get maximum 2 hours on daily basis and probably I can stretch it to 5-6 hrs over the weekend.
I am striving to give the test again soon without too much gap so that I can submit my applications by July end this year.

Regards,
Bhamini
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Karishma,

Thank you for the links.I went through the SC video and it was quite an enriched learning.There is always room for valuable tips to step up the performance.
Also I have downloaded the DS book.Shall go through it and come back with the result.I just want to say one thing,from the time I have learnt and practiced the mixture problems from your theory and practice qsns,I have never done any mixture problem wrong.That is how I want to be for all other weak areas that I have highlighted above.Basically in word problems,reading,interpreting and then approaching the problem for the correct solution followed by solving without error is what takes me time in word problems and many a times I am unable to find the right approach in the limited time of 2 minutes if I have not done that type earlier.

Regards,
Bhamini
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Bhamini,

If you aren't applying to School until July, you have plenty of time to study and improve. While it's understandable that you'd prefer to improve your scores quickly, the reality is that you might need a more drawn-out study plan. That having been said, if you want to do some general "math practice", then I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can start your restart your GMAT studies. You would also likely benefit from investing in some new study materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bhamini1 wrote:
Dear Karishma,

Thank you for the links.I went through the SC video and it was quite an enriched learning.There is always room for valuable tips to step up the performance.
Also I have downloaded the DS book.Shall go through it and come back with the result.I just want to say one thing,from the time I have learnt and practiced the mixture problems from your theory and practice qsns,I have never done any mixture problem wrong.That is how I want to be for all other weak areas that I have highlighted above.Basically in word problems,reading,interpreting and then approaching the problem for the correct solution followed by solving without error is what takes me time in word problems and many a times I am unable to find the right approach in the limited time of 2 minutes if I have not done that type earlier.

Regards,
Bhamini

Hey Bhamini,

You should go through the DS book thoroughly. I promise you many enlightening moments! You will become very comfortable with the DS format.
I have posts on my blog on almost all the weak areas you have listed out above. You should check them out.
Word problems test you on concepts such as ratios, percentages, weighted averages, algebraic manipulations etc. If you work on these topics, your speed and accuracy in word problems will automatically go up.
GMAT Club Bot