Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 07:57
Hi everyone,
I'm 27 years old and I'm from Chile. This last may I took the GMAT for the first time and got 590, in the GMAT PREP TEST I got 530 in the first attempt (without any preparation) and 640 in the 2nd test (with some study, but not the best one). When I left the testing center I wasn't sure if I wanted to retake the test, I was kind of frustrated and wasn't really excited with the idea of studying again for a couple of months. So I didn't study at all for 5 months, but today I woke up and decided to retake the GMAT PREP 1 and got a 610 (Q48 V26), I did not remember any of the questions at all so it was like a new test for me.
Now I'm decided to develop a study plan and start to study again, now I'm going to use this forum and try to participate more (the first time I took the GMAT I didn't do it).
It's clear that I have to focus on the Verbal section. I also know that there are tons of people like me that write this kind of post in the forum, but I just need to pump myself up.
What would be a good score to set as a goal?, do you think that it would be possible to get a 700 (with a 2 month preparation)?
If you have any advice or words that could help me in this 2nd preparation I would appreciate it.

Saludos
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 08:12
You can absolutely get a 700 on your exam if your are willing to dedicate the time/effort/energy needed and willing to really focus on and address your weaknesses (which you have already done). The real difference between a 590 and a 700 is just a few questions and most likely the lower score resulted from you making a mistake that can easily be addressed with increased studying. Also, within the two months that you have given yourself, it might be very beneficial if you took a one week vacation and dedicated yourself to 12 hour a day GMAT studying. Assuming 7 days of total dedication, you would be able to focus 84 hours on the GMAT -- that is a lot of time and I think you would see great improvement after this one week (however, do not make it the week before the test - I would prefer that you took this time off as soon as possible). The last thing that I would recommend is that you get a tutor to help you address your verbal weakness. However, do not tell the tutor that you have an issue with the verbal section of the GMAT -- be much more specific -- for example, say that you are having problems answering the questions on the verbal reasoning section (no problem understanding the passage); having problems differentiating between various past tense versions of the sentence, especially with complex sentences in sentence correction section, etc.

Good luck and remain positive. Pursuing your MBA is definitely worth the effort.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 63

Re: First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 07:51
Your quant score is pretty good but if you want to practice tougher questions you could try the GMAT club tests or look up for posts from bunuel hes compiled some really good questions from various topics.

For verbal manhattan books are pretty good you could try the SC grail book by aristotle prep that book worked well for me. Also there are a lot of good reviews on the e-gmat course for verbal. They have some free classes if you make an account over there and see if their classes suit you

http://gmatclub.com/reviews/e-gmat-6
http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/e-gmat ... upon-code/

If your looking for detailed plan you could look at this post by bb

gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:46
I went from 600 to 750, its doable. My orignal verbal was poor as well, which is a killer. Just spend a lot of time prepping for verbal (I used the manhattan verbal books). It is more or less just seeing questions over and over again and learning how the GMAT wants you to answer them. I have a native ear, but the verbal section was impossible until I saw the problems over and over, then I kind of just could feel which answer was right.
Re: First attempt 590, retaking it (international applicant)   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 08:46