Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First attempt: 700 44Q 41V

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First attempt: 700 44Q 41V [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 14:56
Just got home from the test (I stopped at the bar on the way home for a quick celebratory drink).

I've been studying off and on for about 1.5 months. Here's what I used:

Kaplan GMAT - 2005 edition
OG 11th edition
OG Quant review

I pretty much just went through the study guides and did the questions. With work it was hard to find time to study. I spent about a month getting through the Kaplan guide and I did most of the OG in the last week. I did all the quantitative practice questions and the last 50 of each of the verbal questions. I didn't really prepare for the essays but I think I did pretty well (banking on a 5 or 6).

Practice Tests:
Kaplan CD CAT I: 540 (05/30/07)
OG Practice I: 700 (06/19/07) - Three days before test
Kaplan CD CAT II: 540 (06/20/07) - Two days before test

I'm planning on applying to my local state university's EMBA program. Do I have a chance at UC Davis, which is also local?

Cumulative Undergraduate GPA: 2.92
UC Santa Barbara GPA: 2.45 (Biology Major)
Community college GPA: 3.38 (Biology Major)

5 Years work experience at a large biotech firm. Lots of leadership experience. Lots of volunteer work.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 15:00
I forgot to add:

Some of my story:
I'm mexican-american (both parents from Mexico)
As a youth I worked in the fields along-side my family
I'm the first (and only) in the family to go to college

Does this even help???
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 16:25
Great score...With your background you could get into an elite school. You should set the bar higher and try for a top 15 school.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 23:54
Thanks for the response, lanter1.

Now that the beers have worn off I'll go into a bit more detail about my last week of study.

As I stated before, in the first month of study I went pretty slowly through the Kaplan GMAT 2005 edition. It was borrowed from a friend.

During my first practice test in late May in which I got a 540, I found that I was doing quite well in the verbal but was lacking in the math, so that's why I purchased the GMAC OG quant review.

Two weeks before the test I spent a week going through the GMAC OG Quant. review book. I read all the pages and did all of the problems. The key for me was going over the missed problems and actually working them out after seeing how they explained them. I'd spend ten minutes doing five problems, then spend the next twenty going over the five problems. I kept this pattern throughout my studying, ie. I would do five problems, then go over those five, then do five more, then...

A week before the test I pulled out the GMAC review guide, 11th edition. It's a pretty big book to try to complete in one week but I just about got through the whole thing. I did have the benefit of having the entire week off. Exactly eight days before the test, a Thursday, I spent about eight hours at Starbucks working on the problem solving section. By Friday night I had completed all 249 questions and had gone over each one. I had a hard time repeating the last few without having to peak.

On Saturday I completed the entire data sufficiency section. Another eight hours at Starbucks to complete and review 155 questions. The same five problem pattern, mentioned above, was used.

On the Sunday before the test I got nothing done! It was father's day so I spent the day at a bar-b-que and actually had about five beers.

On Monday I was hurting from the five beers I had on Sunday. I usually don't drink that much so I was really feeling it. Still I spent about eight hours on Monday at Starbucks completing the entire reading comprehension section.

On Tuesday morning at 9:00 AM I took the GMAC practice test I. The questions were very different than the Kaplan questions. As I stated in my first post, I got a 700. After working out and mowing the lawn, I spent the rest of Tuesday doing the last 50 questions of the critical reasoning and sentence correction questions. I got most of them correct.

On Wednesday at 9:00 AM I took the second Kaplan test from the 2005 guide's CD-ROM. I got a 540, which is the same score I got on the first Kaplan test way back in May. I didn't feel like I was at my best, though. After working out, I spent the rest of Wednesday going over the questions I had originally missed in the problem solving section of the OG. I got most of them correct the second time around.

On Thursday, the day before the test, I did nothing. I take that back, I played indoor soccer at noon and watched Mission Impossible III. I went to bed at about 11 PM.

I woke up at 6 AM on Friday to prepare for the test at 9 AM. I went over a couple of math problems that I was having trouble with, just to get my mind going. Then I looked over the math review section to skim through the major concepts. I took a PB&J sandwich, some granola bars and a container of water with me to the testing center. The test was pretty tough all the way through. I actually didn't get to three of the problems in the math section. I just guessed on them as time ran out. I utilized all the breaks to use the restroom and sneak a quick bite. The breaks were clutch, so I highly recommend taking them.

The test was long! I was really tired by the middle of the verbal section, but I continued on. I did find myself rushing a bit just to get it done. At 13 minutes left, I had only three questions remaining, so must have flown through the section! Once the test completed I just sat there for a moment, taking a minute to relax. I was happy once that 700 popped up on the screen.

That's pretty much it. Wow, this is a really long post. Some advice I have:

- Work out regularly - seems to clear the mind

- Eat healthy in the days preceeding the test. In the week before the, save for Sunday, I ate cereal for breakfast, two fat-free hot dogs for lunch and chicken and rice for dinner. I also stayed away from caffeine even though I usually drink coffee (I didn't want to have to have coffee before the exam 'cause it tends to make me anxious).

- Utilize your breaks
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: First attempt: 700 44Q 41V [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2007, 12:28
great show dude..i have exactly 1.5 months..and i an definitely inspired ..

gym_escape wrote:
Just got home from the test (I stopped at the bar on the way home for a quick celebratory drink).

I've been studying off and on for about 1.5 months. Here's what I used:

Kaplan GMAT - 2005 edition
OG 11th edition
OG Quant review

I pretty much just went through the study guides and did the questions. With work it was hard to find time to study. I spent about a month getting through the Kaplan guide and I did most of the OG in the last week. I did all the quantitative practice questions and the last 50 of each of the verbal questions. I didn't really prepare for the essays but I think I did pretty well (banking on a 5 or 6).

Practice Tests:
Kaplan CD CAT I: 540 (05/30/07)
OG Practice I: 700 (06/19/07) - Three days before test
Kaplan CD CAT II: 540 (06/20/07) - Two days before test

I'm planning on applying to my local state university's EMBA program. Do I have a chance at UC Davis, which is also local?

Cumulative Undergraduate GPA: 2.92
UC Santa Barbara GPA: 2.45 (Biology Major)
Community college GPA: 3.38 (Biology Major)

5 Years work experience at a large biotech firm. Lots of leadership experience. Lots of volunteer work.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 12:17
Great score!

I definitely agree with an earlier poster, you should set the bar higher with a score like that! I am sure being Mexican helps depending on the school demographics. If you really want to stay in California you should try for Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley. But if you are willing to leave California, definitely go for the top schools. You never know until you try!

Good luck!! I have my exam July 9th, I can only hope I see a 700 pop up :-D
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2007, 02:21
Great score. I love your breakdown. That's the breakdown I would like to have :) Have fun celebrating!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 15:16
I agree with everyone else. Way to go on preparing for the test... that really takes a lot of focus to just sit there 8 hours and go through problems.

I too am inspired and hope to get a terrific score come September. Keep us updated on the application process!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 09:53
that's a very impressive score for a first timer
congratulations!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 11:39
Alright, a fellow Gaucho!!! Great job on the 1st attempt!!! You should be aiming for UCLA, Berkeley, etc.

With your family background, i'm sure you could create a very interesting application essay that would differentiate yourself from many other applicants.

Best of luck with the application process!
  [#permalink] 17 Jul 2007, 11:39