Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First attempt 710- question about addressing quant section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First attempt 710- question about addressing quant section [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 14:22
Hi,

I'm an undergrad at uchicago applying to Booth-- there's a program in which seniors apply before they graduate, and if accepted defer admission. I have heard that the acceptance rate for this program is significantly higher than it is normally, but this may be due to self selection/ a more competitive pool of applicants.

I just took the GMAT for my first time and scored 710 (45Q, 44V). I was very frustrated to see this as in the two GMATPREP tests, I scored 740 and 760, with 49 and 50 in quant. On top of this, I am graduating with a B.S. in Mathematics and separate B.A. in economics, 3.6 gpa, so I wasn't expecting quant to be a problem. I was extraordinarily busy this week for other reasons, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm confident in the rest of my application but this gmat score really bugs me. Some people seem to think it's not worth it if you're not in the 80/80 percentile.

My question is-- should I explicitly address this discrepancy between these two scores? Or will my B.S. in math be enough to convince Booth that I'm not afraid of numbers? Moreover, regardless of the other components in my app, will this be a significant hindrance? (Retaking isn't an option due to the deadline for this application, and I'd also rather wait and take it much later when I have time to adequately prep.) I know I haven't divulged the other aspects of my application and so this may be hard to answer, but I'm more interested in how the GMAT score will specifically affect things.

Again, don't know what happened, I guess I just had a bad day. Not too worried though because I can always apply later during the normal cycle.

Thank you
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: First attempt 710- question about addressing quant section [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 17:27
If you can demonstrate your quant proficiency in other ways (which you clearly can), then your score is fine. I don't think you need to highlight it as a weakness by addressing it. However, you could ask your recommenders to specifically highlight your quant skills.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- What questions to ask admissions officers
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4783 [0], given: 163

Re: First attempt 710- question about addressing quant section [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 20:20
Expert's post
gregej wrote:
Hi,

I'm an undergrad at uchicago applying to Booth-- there's a program in which seniors apply before they graduate, and if accepted defer admission. I have heard that the acceptance rate for this program is significantly higher than it is normally, but this may be due to self selection/ a more competitive pool of applicants.

I just took the GMAT for my first time and scored 710 (45Q, 44V). I was very frustrated to see this as in the two GMATPREP tests, I scored 740 and 760, with 49 and 50 in quant. On top of this, I am graduating with a B.S. in Mathematics and separate B.A. in economics, 3.6 gpa, so I wasn't expecting quant to be a problem. I was extraordinarily busy this week for other reasons, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm confident in the rest of my application but this gmat score really bugs me. Some people seem to think it's not worth it if you're not in the 80/80 percentile.

My question is-- should I explicitly address this discrepancy between these two scores? Or will my B.S. in math be enough to convince Booth that I'm not afraid of numbers? Moreover, regardless of the other components in my app, will this be a significant hindrance? (Retaking isn't an option due to the deadline for this application, and I'd also rather wait and take it much later when I have time to adequately prep.) I know I haven't divulged the other aspects of my application and so this may be hard to answer, but I'm more interested in how the GMAT score will specifically affect things.

Again, don't know what happened, I guess I just had a bad day. Not too worried though because I can always apply later during the normal cycle.

Thank you

Since retaking is not an option due to time constraints, why are you even thinking about the GMAT score. Focus on the rest of your app right now. There is no need to discuss the Q45 and anyway, what justification will you give? Instead, focus on your B.S. in Math and B.A. in Economics - both of which will ensure a smooth sailing during MBA and the adcom knows that. Talk about your projects, show enthusiasm about the school, write brilliant essays and you would probably not need to retake.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: First attempt 710- question about addressing quant section   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 20:20