Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Attempt - 760! It can be done. AWA - 5.5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

First Attempt - 760! It can be done. AWA - 5.5 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:44
Today was my first attempt at the GMAT and I'm ecstatic with the results. I haven't posted much on this site, but I've been around for the nearly two months that I've studied. I saw so many top scores on this forum that I was excited about my chances.

760 Total
49 Q
44V

I'll post more later when I have time. It's time to celebrate!!

EDIT:
Oh boy, after a night of celebrating, I realize I can't handle it as well as I could in college. Anyhow, a little background on me. I have a Chemical Engineering Degree from the University of Houston, with a poor GPA. So, I knew I needed to do well on the GMAT to make up for my 2.9. I studied for approximately 7-10 hours a week for 8 weeks, with a couple weeks a little more due to time spent on the practice CATs.

My Strategy:
I took the GMATPrep Test 1 before studying at all. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I scored a 640 on that test, 44Q 36V. So, that was my starting point. Reviewing what I missed, I had forgotten a ton about quant and needed to practice. And, I was set on RC and CR but had a glaring need for SC.

I used Kaplan GMAT Study Guide, Kaplan 800, and very little out of OG11.
I actually ran out of time and didn't do anywhere near the amount of problems I wanted to do. I only did approximately 100 questions in problem solving from OG11. The book was basically untouched.

I realize Kaplan gets a lot of bad reviews, but I can't complain. I think the questions are tougher in Kaplan than in OG11. The questions are definitely wordy and try to confuse you in the question stem, but in the end, the math was the same.

I also really liked Kaplan 800. I did every problem in this book. It really helped with my SC. I was getting between 80-90 percent of the questions correct in Kaplan 800.

I took the Kaplan online practice test. It was really easy and I only scored a 700. I knew it wasn't a CAT, but I thought I was in good shape.

August 17th I took only my second practice CAT. The Kaplan CAT 1. It was very difficult and I only scored a 640 again 42Q and 36V. I was disappointed but realized that Kaplan scores are not really a reflection of your true score.

The week of the test on Monday I retried the GMATPrep Test1 and scored a 740, 48Q 44V. I was pumped, but had about 7 repeat questions so I thought my score was way off. Then, Thursday I took the 2nd GMATPrep and scored 740 again, 48Q and 44V. Wow, it was for real. I'm ready and riding high.

Note: I forgot to mention that I often would get on the GMAT Club forum during my lunch hour and would solve SC and Quant problems. I must have completed approximately 100-200 of these questions. I think these questions will help with harder questions on the GMAT tremendously.

The day before the test I was worried about AWA. I hadn't practiced even once. But, I decided to wing it and worry about the rest.

The test: The AWA's were easier than I was expecting so it helped relieve my stress right away. I took advantage of my break after the AWA and just went outside in the hallway and psyched myself up. Getting excited for the challenge ahead. I approached the test as a competition, which really helped with my attitude entering the test. Not nervous at all, but nervous excitement.
The quant seemed very difficult and I was completely bummed after finishing the section. But, I remembered on my practice CAT's that I felt the same way and still scored well. The verbal was almost exactly like the GMATPrep Test Verbal section. I was amazed at how smoothly it went.

Click the score...wait..wait...I'm hoping 700...wait...maybe 720...wait..don't get greedy...760!!!! I don't know how I contained myself.

Anyways, it can be done. If anyone needs any further clarification, please post. I will be getting ready for apps now.

I think emory is still my number one school. Prior to the test, I was just hoping to get in. Now, I'm hoping for scholarship. I need to paint a great picture in my essays and go from there. Good luck to you all.

Thanks to everyone who posts questions in both Verbal and Quant, along with those who preach a positive attitude for this test. I think attitude is key on test day. You've done the studying, you've worked hard...psych yourself up, not out. It's fun.

Last edited by emoryhopeful on 10 Sep 2007, 07:51, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 12:44
Congrats! Is it time to change your handle to M7hopeful??? :lol:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 13:03
Kicker arse score dude........

welcome to the real jungle now ;)
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 13:56
forcefeed wrote:
Congrats! Is it time to change your handle to M7hopeful??? :lol:

Seriously! With that score Emory should be a safety schools for you now :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:34
What was yout study plan..or are you just so smart you didn't need to study:)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

gr8 score [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 00:12
Congrats man!!!!!!! Gr8 score especially with only 2 months of study. All the luck with admissions. U seem 2 b another genius on the gmatclub. Welcome 2 the great 700 club!!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 21:56
Great Score. Congratulations :-)
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 04:22
I don't think its about being a genious at all. I think its about figuring out your weaknesses early, then studying to make them your strengths. I studied very very little for RC and CR, and spent the rest of my time on Quant and SC.

Another note, if you just can't get the hang of some very tough quant questions, like tough combination/permutation questions, just learn the basics so you can get the easy questions right. Then, don't worry about them anymore. I think I only had 2 comb/perm questions on the test. Once was easy, so I got it right. The second, I had no idea when I read the question. So, I guessed and moved on. It took me 10 seconds to know I didn't know how to do it. So, that saves me more time to solve other problems. Its all about playing the GMAT game. Save time when and where you can.
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2007, 04:22