Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 05:14
I recently gave my first shot at GMAT.I ended up getting 610(Q-50,V23 ).I referred to the following books for prep:

OG guide 12th edition
OG verbal and MAth
Nova math bible

When i was studying or practicing i used to get most of the questions correct in the verbal sections but during practice tests i ended up making many mistakes.I started doing the practice sections very fast and in the process i ended up making many mistakes during the practice tests.And if i was slowing down spending extra time than what i normally do i ended up over analyzing the answer choices and goin even more wrong.
I started my prep in Aug and i dint go for any classes.
In the main GMAT exam I went in little worried about my AWA.Luckily i had an idea about the topics i faced so felt confident about my AWA which helped me through my Quant. Maths being one of my strengths i went about my Quant with out any problems .Then the nightmare had begun.I felt confident about my RC AND CR and i knew i was going to screw up my SC .SO i just went ahead with it and finished in 40 min odd.I was expecting probably a 650+ and was disappointed with my score.I have not yet booked my date for GMAT but i want to start preparing and once i feel good and start getting better scores i want to book my date.
I recently got hold of the Manhattan 8 book series.As i have already finished with OG guides where can I find books for practice.
Previously i finished the GMAT prep tests.Can somebody suggest some tests which can be purchased which would be the best for practice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 11:29
Dude you have a 50 on Q...that means you have a very high scope of improvement in V...If you can reach Q50 V35 (which is very much possible) then you will surely hit that 700 mark
Intern
Intern

Re: First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 20:10
@ samramandy: i was always confident about my math..Need to improve a lot with my verbal.and i need some sgguestions too
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed. [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 10:33
Read a lot, fiction/non-fiction, magazines, journals, etc. This will basically help you in the comprehension of basic things be it the RC, CR or SC. Reading is the single best thing which would raise the level of your English by manifolds. Become a voracious reader :)

You would yourself start observing the changes pretty soon. But mind you, don't read just for the sake of preparation. Make reading a part of your life and you would see a sea change in the way you take things.
Intern
Intern

Re: First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed. [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 19:32
Thanks for the suggestions..any specific books that u suggest to go through for verbal basics and practice.

And i received my AWA score ..Got 5.5
Re: First attempt at GMAT 610.Suggestions needed.   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2011, 19:32